Glens Ute Canopy to Camper Build - The Favour Trailer

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
SirGollum
Been here a while

Re: Glens Ute Canopy to Camper Build.

Unread post by SirGollum » December 17th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Peter Aawen wrote:
December 13th, 2017, 11:14 am
That's looking pretty good so far Sir Gollum, and there's no denying that it's gonna be a bloody robust trailer!! :boggle: I really like the concept! :thumb:

But have you considered how much this is all going to weigh once it's finished & loaded?? You've already got a fair whack of weight there in the chassis & running gear, then there's the added weight of the tray & canopy, plus all the extra weight you are adding with the heavy duty drawbar & all that bracing etc. And on top of all that, when you start adding in the weight of a couple of hundred kgs of water plus say another 25kg or so for a tank or two, maybe another 100kgs all up for 60 litres of fuel & its tank, plus whatever extra weight there'll be in your tools etc.... this project rapidly starts to look like it is going to be one fairly heavy tow!! :petrified:

So, maybe you should be thinking about installing a few 'load reducing' holes in all that the extra bracing, tray supports, etc. I don't think you'd need to touch the chassis or drawbar, but just about everything else is only there to provide bracing & to support a load, so shouldn't really need to be solid C channel or RHS, which means it could be significantly lightened and still provide the necessary structural strength to brace/support as necessary. After all, needless extra weight in the structure itself is really only going to cost you in terms of payload that you can't use, & then there's the extra fuel costs of dragging all that excess weight around! Over to you, but something I reckon is worth considering.

As for those latches & keys, maybe you could pop one (or more) of them out & take it to visit your local locksmith - it might be cheaper just to get those locks re-keyed...... or not?!? Just a thought tho!

But seriously, you've made a bloody good start on what looks like being a fantastic project. Please keep the pics & description coming! ;)
Thanks Peter! Yea, it certainly wont be the most light weight camper out there for sure! if it comes in under 1500kg packed, ill be really happy! Luckily, from the chassis up is going to be mostly aluminium, so im hoping that will help me out a bit! Other wise, yes, its a great idea, if it gets out of control, Ill start cutting holes and adding 'dimples' into things to save some weight. but, if I can get away with not doing that, I would be a happy man!

Thanks for the advise about the locks!

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 17th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Brett Mcleod wrote:
December 17th, 2017, 10:41 am
looking good, you can get the locks on eBay cheap but before replacing them see if you can borrow some keys off your mates canopies and try them, i know the keys on my canopy fit 4 of my mates canopy locks and there keys fit mine, kind of like the old holden and ford days where they only made so many different combinations
Nice, Ill try that Brett!

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 17th, 2017, 4:18 pm

I picked up the 100x50x5 this week, and as far as weight goes, its MUCH better than the 150x50x6! so I went ahead and starting cutting it up to make the drawbar

I planned to leave about 400mm inside the original chassis and then puddle weld old to new to help with strength

As you can see, theres a fair bit of size difference to make up

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 17th, 2017, 4:21 pm

I wanted to plate the joins a bit more, just for my piece of mind than anything else, so these came in to existence, and then welded in.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 17th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Unfortunately my long suffering Makita let the smoke out today, I guess years and years of drilling 25mm+ holes in steel finally got to it. Saying that I think nearly 10 years is a good run!

Even thou I got the biggest version they have, its still smaller than my old one. I just hope the new motor / gearbox will last....

I decided to do a mini tear down on the old drill to figure out what happened...

Those windings look a bit average!

Closer inspection shows that it was the windings that let go...just got too hot by the looks, which is pretty consistent with how it was treated (Low speed, high torque drilling)

I also found that the brushes were stuck, I had to put a lot of pressure on them from the top to get them to move...the brush spring was doing nothing..

Oh well, its a pity because everything else on that drill, including the gearbox, is great. I wonder if its possible to get a replacement motor for it somehow.....
Last edited by SirGollum on January 10th, 2018, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 17th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Heres how the trailer looked by the end of the day..

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 27th, 2017, 8:19 am

I didnt get a huge amount done, mostly with Xmas and the recent heat.

I thought it was time to try and remove the 'pumpkin' from the axle housing, so first had to remove the axle housing from the chassis.

Then welded it to the bench to stop it moving after I cut the middle out of it, and then there was some chop chop!

I couldn't go much further on the diff, as I needed to lathe up some bosses for the patrol diff plugs, I want to be able to drain the center still, in case water ever gets inside from the axle seals etc.
I dont have a lathe so that meant begging a favour, which takes a little time ;)

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 27th, 2017, 8:20 am

A very good mate of mine gave me a old AT35 hitch he had spare, so that will do for now! Which means I can finally finish off the drawbar. I also wanted to service the hitch before using it, so did that at the same time.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 27th, 2017, 8:21 am

Thats all for the moment!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 27th, 2017, 9:39 am

SirGollum wrote:
December 17th, 2017, 4:24 pm
Oh well, its a pity because everything else on that drill, including the gearbox, is great. I wonder if its possible to get a replacement motor for it somehow.....
Might be worth paying a visit to Cash Converters or similar & seeing if you can get a similar model 'used drill' that's only just 'sorta' still functioning in the gearbox department.... spend a few $$ there (only try to knock 'em down a bit cos you can tell the gearbox on theirs is really a bit iffy & on its last legs, but with any luck it'll be up to doing the small job you have in mind, & it's really not worth that much to you anyway... :rolleyes: ) and then do a little mix'n'matching when you get it home. :thumb:

I've got a heavy duty Black & Decker big chuck jobbie that's been working on that basis for about 20 years.... it's sorta like Grandad's axe. Orright already, it's a whole lot like Grandad's axe - but I'm pretty sure the chuck is still the original! :p

Btw, your Camper build looks to be coming along well! Good job on the 'axle' & that hitch is a bituva score! Lookin' good! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

SirGollum
Been here a while

Re: Glens Ute Canopy to Camper Build - The Favour Trailer

Unread post by SirGollum » January 10th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Well, I managed to finish off the axle housing and paint, it came up ok, but not exactly happy with it. I think I will redo another one in the future, and use 90mm pipe like I wanted to originally.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » January 10th, 2018, 1:16 pm

After talking to an engineer friend of mine, he suggest that although the joint between Patrol chassis and drawbar is fine, an extra fish plate on the outside would certainly make other engineers happy.

So, thats what I did :)

The issue being is that there is a 'step' in the joint, so need to make the fish plate with a step in it too.

The only way I could think of doing it was with the press, but needed a mandrel to make the bends work first.

So, I took this..

And drilled a big hole in it, and then one in the side

Then welded some scrap plate to it.

and sharpened to an edge.

and mounted in the press

With a test piece, heres the profile I ended up with.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » January 10th, 2018, 1:16 pm

And then made up the two fish plates for the chassis.

And then welded on.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » January 10th, 2018, 1:17 pm

On another note, I had a couple of good wins this week.

First off, is I had a friend donate a few old beer kegs, im hoping to turn these into water tanks for the back. They fit really well inside the chassis, so hope it will work out. Otherwise, Ill fall back to buying some plastic ones.

The other item, that im super happy about, is my new (2nd hand) brake actuator!

I picked it up from Gumtree from a very nice gentleman, for a great price! (Cheaper than just a hitch) Its even the 1600psi model so shouldn't have any problems at all actuating the Patrol calipers.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”