Glens Ute Canopy to Camper Build - The Favour Trailer

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
SirGollum
Been here a while

Glens Ute Canopy to Camper Build - The Favour Trailer

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:27 am

Well, After having a Kimberley for a number of years, and not 'really' understanding the value in it ($50k and terrible warranty restrictions) I decided to have a go at building myself a camper from a ute canopy.

My requirements are

1) Must be fairly rugged to be towed behind either of the Patrols I have (One of them being a GQ Patrol toy so decent offroad capability)
2) Carry enough tools , spares and fuel for the GQ Toy on the rougher trips. (40 - 60l)
3) Have enough water to go on longer trips (200l min)
4) Be a reasonable cost.... (Cheap)

Im calling it the favour trailer, because Im going to try and beg borrow and steal what I can to get this trailer done. Im trying not to pay 'retail' for anything.

So after some thinking, I decided on using the rear of a GQ Chassis, and an ute canopy as a start. I could of built a chassis I guess, but I like the idea of using a GQ chassis, because that means all the links, bolts etc can be used as parts if needs be, I will even be keep 'most' of the rear axle housing to store spare rear axles and using the rear disks / calipers. The idea being, that worst case, I can butcher the trailer to get home.

Id like to keep the trailer under 3.5m if possible, which I think should be fairly easily achievable.

So, after a few months of hunting, I found the rear of a GQ chassis, and more importantly a Aluminium ute canopy that had been involved in a roll over, for a very good price.
(Thank you All Four X Four parts at Minden!!!! http://www.allfourxfourparts.com/ )

Last edited by SirGollum on January 10th, 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Re: Glens Ute Canopy to Camper Build.

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:28 am

After dragging it down the back with the poor old lawn mower, I wanted to see how bad the damage was to the canopy itself, so temporarily moved it into the shed for some 'Porta Power" action.

Two of the doors didnt shut.

I propped open the door, and setip the porta power to push in the opposite direction I thought the hit that bent the canopy came from.

And after about 30 mins or so of tweaking, I managed to get the doors closed pretty good!

The doors themselves were a bit banged up too, so still wouldnt lock, but atleast now the frame was fair straight again, and I could go and weld up the cracks later.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:28 am

At that point, I made up a quick dolly from a old table, and striped off the doors to straighten them, and replace the hinges as they were a bit of a mess too.

Last edited by SirGollum on January 10th, 2018, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:29 am

Once i knew the canopy was 'reasonably' straight, I wanted to give everything a good pressure clean, so had to seperate the canopy from the tray. after unbolting, cutting the silicone and then a bit of pry bar action, it came off pretty easy.

Then everything went back outside .

The chassis had most likely 500,000km worth of dust on it, so was great to clean it up ready to work on.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

Once everything was dry, the 3 doors went back into the shed and thought I would try and straighten them out, now im just a IT guy, not a panel beater or Boiler maker, so not entirely certain how to get the door panels nice and straight, especially considering they are aluminium, and as far as I understand, its stretches when it gets dents, so could be impossible to get smooth again....anyone have any tips ?

In the mean time, I just put them on a wooden bench, and whacked them with a rubber mallet. Did an ok job for the first pass to just straighten out the frame etc. Still have to work on the door skin itself to get it better.

Before

After
Last edited by SirGollum on December 13th, 2017, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

Does anyone know where I might be able to get these locks ? The canopy didnt come with any keys, so im guessing ill need to replace the whole assembly.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:31 am

Now, I needed to start playing with ideas to mount the tray to the chassis.

After getting the chassis into the shed and leveling it up, I just put the C section I had removed from under the tray straight on the top, and figured, "Job Done"

But after measuring bumpstop to axle travel (260mm) and then allowing for 35" tyres (another 50mm height), With any weight in it, the tyres would be hitting the tray for sure.

After removing any of the body and exhaust mounts I wouldnt needed...I came up with this. (75 x 50 x 4mm box)

2 of the mounts line up with the existing holes in the C section totally by accident, so the plan is to weld some 4mm strap to the box section and bolt the C section onto it. Ill do any bracing etc later on once it all fits.

Weirdly enough, the gap between the middle and front mounts would be perfect size and height for a Kimberly style kitchen. I might have to get some ideas drawn up in CAD once the canopy is on and I can understand how everything will go together a bit better. Because at the moment, this thing is really being designed on the fly.

Heres an example from my Camper (Which may be for sale soon)

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:32 am

As I want to use most of the patrol axle (minus the pumpkin), including the brakes, I need to find a electric / hydraulic actuator.

So, far ive found these.

Hydrastar 1200psi

Alko IQ7

Dexter

Titan

Ive used the Hydarstar before (its on the Kimberley) but not sure if its the best value one or not. Does anyone else have experience with the others ?

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

I didnt get too much done this weekend, but got a great score off FB for the build!

I finished off the tray mounts, and welded them in.

Then drilled holes the suit, my OCD is going a little crazy thou, as I decided to use the existing holes in the C section, and they either arent exactly straight up and down, or line up in the middle of the 75mm flat. Oh well, with the mount positions, this was my best option.

And then I test mounted the tray and checked the position, turned out really well! (1mm difference side to side)

Then I went to bunnings and had a quick look for a seal to put between the box lip and the tray.

I found this, but I would prefer 50mm to match the lip thickness, oh well...Ill keep looking.

Last edited by SirGollum on December 13th, 2017, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

Now, heres my little score for the weekend.

Is the pantry compartment from a camper, Ill get another cooker to go on the top, but for $100 including the rails I couldn't complain! It saves me a shed ton of design and fab work, Im seriously hoping I can find a decent kitchen as well!

Now I just need to decided if it will get mounted inside the box, or under it. (If theres room)

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:34 am

Not a huge amount of progress...mostly because I had a rethink on drawbar design and the steel I thought on using. Oh..and it was hot...stinking hot.

First of all, Ive cleaned and sealed under the tray now, the aluminium tray is actually just multiple 'slats' clipped together, and I wanted to try and limit dust ingress as much as I could, so I gave it two coats of underbody sealer, I hope it helps.

After that was done, I tried to order some 150x50x4mm RHS to use as the drawbar material, but they only had 6mm in stock, so went with that...in hindsight its just far to heavy for this trailer, so tomorrow I think I will order some 100x50x5mm and then transition from the chassis thickness to 100mm, this has the added benefit of giving me an addition 50mm clearance under the drawbar, while keeping the ball weight down, should give me about 500mm clearance, while I would like more, im fairly sure thats around the standard for camper trailers

Ive been using some CAD to figure out drawbar design and lengths. (Concrete Aided Design)

This Drawbar will give me a total length of about 3.4m, with a drawbar length (axle to hitch) of about 2.3m, which im fairly sure should make it tow well enough.
Last edited by SirGollum on December 13th, 2017, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:35 am

Started looking at canopy packaging too.... The kitchen bench would be under the canopy.

SirGollum
Been here a while

Unread post by SirGollum » December 13th, 2017, 10:35 am

Well, because I ordered the wrong steel for the drawbar, I decided to build the brace for the spring towers this afternoon. The rear spring towers on patrols are a fairly well known weak point, and, as this trailer may be asked to do some unusual things, I thought it best to add some insurance.

150x50x6 cut to length

Then capped the ends

Welded in place.

I found some scrap I had laying around, and added some (pointless) extra bracing.

All done!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 13th, 2017, 11:14 am

That's looking pretty good so far Sir Gollum, and there's no denying that it's gonna be a bloody robust trailer!! :boggle: I really like the concept! :thumb:

But have you considered how much this is all going to weigh once it's finished & loaded?? You've already got a fair whack of weight there in the chassis & running gear, then there's the added weight of the tray & canopy, plus all the extra weight you are adding with the heavy duty drawbar & all that bracing etc. And on top of all that, when you start adding in the weight of a couple of hundred kgs of water plus say another 25kg or so for a tank or two, maybe another 100kgs all up for 60 litres of fuel & its tank, plus whatever extra weight there'll be in your tools etc.... this project rapidly starts to look like it is going to be one fairly heavy tow!! :petrified:

So, maybe you should be thinking about installing a few 'load reducing' holes in all that the extra bracing, tray supports, etc. I don't think you'd need to touch the chassis or drawbar, but just about everything else is only there to provide bracing & to support a load, so shouldn't really need to be solid C channel or RHS, which means it could be significantly lightened and still provide the necessary structural strength to brace/support as necessary. After all, needless extra weight in the structure itself is really only going to cost you in terms of payload that you can't use, & then there's the extra fuel costs of dragging all that excess weight around! Over to you, but something I reckon is worth considering.

As for those latches & keys, maybe you could pop one (or more) of them out & take it to visit your local locksmith - it might be cheaper just to get those locks re-keyed...... or not?!? Just a thought tho!

But seriously, you've made a bloody good start on what looks like being a fantastic project. Please keep the pics & description coming! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » December 17th, 2017, 10:41 am

looking good, you can get the locks on eBay cheap but before replacing them see if you can borrow some keys off your mates canopies and try them, i know the keys on my canopy fit 4 of my mates canopy locks and there keys fit mine, kind of like the old holden and ford days where they only made so many different combinations

Return to “My Camper Trailer”