Page 12 of 12

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Posted: June 14th, 2018, 7:05 am
by jclures
I have been working on the first of two storage draws at the rear of the camper. I like to have a spot for things and then they can be easy to get when needed, that is why I planed these draws from the start of the build.
I have folded them from some of my leftover aluminium, so I can keep them as light as possible.
This drawer is for the tent pegs, hammer, Ropes double and single as well as the rope springs.
The springs have small shackles on each end, and the ropes have spring clips on them so I can break them down to pack away.
I still need to trim the door edging then this drawer and door are finished.

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Posted: June 19th, 2018, 7:36 am
by jclures
I have started to fix things I am not happy with, and the first fix is the hand brake.

From when I first fitted it, I have not been happy with the hand brake lever.
I thought was up at too high of an angle when the hand brake was off. It might not seem much, but when stepping over the A frame of the trailer, I was worried about tripping on the lever.
Hand Brake lever 002.jpg
To fix the height when off, it needed a couple of new teeth cut and a relocation of the roll pin stop. Now the handle sits level when off, not up at the angle it was.
Hand Brake lever 003.jpg
I also thought it took too much force to pull the hand brake on, I had to pull it quite hard to stop the camper from being able to roll off.
As I had already used the closest hole to the lever pivot, I have drilled an extra hole. This has reduced the force needed to pull it on. Not much of a change to do, but much better operation for the hand brake.
Hand Brake lever 001.jpg

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Posted: June 26th, 2018, 8:46 am
by jclures
I am getting the camper ready for it's next trip, so there are a few bits I would like to get done.
The first job I have finished is the kitchen drawers. I did make temporary drawer runner frames to work out what I wanted, which I now have replaced with folded aluminium drawers, and drawer fronts.
I have also lined the bottom of the drawers with a light soft rubber sheeting, this I hope, is to stop any rubbing on the aluminium drawer base.

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Posted: June 28th, 2018, 12:34 pm
by ian.gonzo
Looks very professional

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Posted: June 30th, 2018, 2:39 pm
by jclures
Thanks Ian.

Even though the kitchen drawer runners have a 225kg rating, I thought I should support the kitchen when out.
I wanted a simple leg which can be fitted when needed, and to be adjustable.
I had a swing down leg which was damaged, so after removing the damaged swing down part I have made a two stage adjustable leg.
I should be able to knead bread or do anything I want now on the kitchen bench without any movement at all.

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Posted: July 6th, 2018, 9:45 pm
by jclures
This week I have been reworking a few things. The first job to do is my compressor setup, I have had the Thor Air Compressor here for some time now ready to fit.
After testing I have decided to leave the compressor I have, and run the new one along side it. Each compressor has it's own airline to the tank with a check valve each as well. Before the new compressor it took around 5 minutes to pump the 9ltr tank to 120psi. I never timed it to 150psi which I want it to be set at.
With the two compressors now running with the tank empty it only took only a fraction over two minutes to shut off at 150psi.
Thor air comp fitted 01.jpg
The other job done was easy, I wanted a easy garbage bag setup. I went into BFC and brought a Croc Bin. All I needed to do is work out where I wanted to mount it, just need to take it off before breaking camp though.
bin bag holder 01.jpg