jclures DIY crossover camper

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
jclures
Avid Poster

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Unread post by jclures » December 7th, 2017, 10:00 am

:) My poor wife.

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » December 7th, 2017, 11:54 am

jclures wrote:
December 7th, 2017, 10:00 am
:) My poor wife.
Ha ha, was thinking that might be the case a lot of the time. :)
Cheers, Marcus

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » December 7th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Bonnie is my left hand, and I could not do what I do without it. It also gives her something to do with her spare time, although I don't think she sees it that way sometimes. :D

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » December 11th, 2017, 9:36 am

:lol: :D
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » December 22nd, 2017, 7:54 am

I have been a little slack working on the camper. With going to Tasmania for a week and Christmas coming up.
The front solar panel is fitted, even though this is not the panel I brought for the job, I have used this one as it fitted better for the look of the camper I thought. This will give me 360w of solar on the camper in total.
I have also fitted the sheeting on the two front doors, plus fitted the water tank filler. I am yet to fit the corner edging on any of the walls or around the doors and door frames.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 8th, 2018, 10:12 pm

After Christmas I had a little trouble with my main door lock, I had a go at fixing it, but on reflection I decided to replace it. As I had made the door around this stile lock, meant I had to find a replacement that fitted the door. Looking around I found there were several other brands, which were screwed together rather than riveted.
The new door lock feels better opening and closing now as well.
Motor home door lock 01.jpg
Motor home door lock 02.jpg
I have now finished trimming the door and the small side door as well. I have used a pinch weld seal on the inside, and as cover seal on the outside.
door inside seal 01.jpg
side door finished 01.jpg
entry door finished 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

I have made a decision, after some consultation with Bonnie,on the walls regarding colour. After all she has to be happy with it as well.
I am going to paint both inside and outside using Septone silver hammer finish.
I have cleaned two of the walls using a aluminium cleaning acid, primed and painted both sides.
Folding wall painted 02.jpg
Folding wall painted 01.jpg
I am yet to fit the windows back in, but I am happy with how they look.
I need to get a bit of fine weather, and I will paint the lelt side folding wall.
I am still to make the front wall as well.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 18th, 2018, 5:58 pm

A big day today, I took it to the Qld Transport Office and had the camper registered. I had no trouble at all, the only problem was with onlookers wanting a look.

Alter the registration was finished, I took the camper down to the weighbridge. This I was worried about as all my weights have never been able to be checked. I thought it should come in at or around 1640kg at this stage, but it was 1560kg. I am happy with that I can tell you.

As for towing it felt good, I thought it would have had some problems but there were none that I could feel, I hardly even new I had it behind me.

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » January 18th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Congrats of getting it registered. :)
I thought you would have had to weigh it first and show a certificate? We do here.
Cheers, Marcus

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 18th, 2018, 7:49 pm

No not here, they tell you it is your responsibility to be right with weights. Being a new trailer I did not need a roadworthy certificate either.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 22nd, 2018, 6:45 am

The three walls I have made are now fitted. I have weighed these wall to see if they are within my weight estimates as well before fitting, including the windows.
painted folding wall fitted 01.jpg
painted folding wall fitted 02.jpg
I brought some trims to go around the inside of the window frames. These were not allowed for when I made the walls, but with a bit of trimming I fitted them, giving a white edge around the windows.
I am yet to fit the top trim along the top of the walls to hide the joint, but over all I am happy with the look and colour.
painted folding wall fitted 03.jpg
painted folding wall fitted 04.jpg
All the outside side lights are also now wired in as well. They are just strip led lights with a aluminium shroud so they look down at around 45 degrees off the walls.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 22nd, 2018, 7:44 am

The walls lock together when folded up. On the longs side walls I have the J seal on each end, the back wall then pushes into the J seal and I lock it up with a draw bolt.
folding wall lock 01.jpg
This gives me a good weather seal on the corner of the wall, but I need to do something on the bottom corner joint.
bottom corner joint 01.jpg

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » January 25th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Not much to show, but I have now a hole ready to work on fitting the kitchen.
Kitchen wall hole 01.jpg
I have also have worked on the second hinging part for the main door. I fitted the extra draw bolt as I was worried with my other door lock giving me trouble, I am planing on leaving it there now anyhow, as it also might be used to lock the door together when it is set up.
Main door top 01.jpg
Main door top 02.jpg
Main door top 03.jpg

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » February 12th, 2018, 7:06 am

have finally finished building the last folding wall, and after a test fit I have it ready to paint.
Front F Wall TF 01.jpg
Checking my drawings and estimated weights I thought the bare wall will weight 14kg, weighing the actual wall with hinges and with the window it weighed 15kg.
Some of my weights were unknown when I started as I did not know what I really wanted, so I am happy that the numbers have been this close.
I should be able to paint and fit the wall over the next few days, and that finishes the main construction of the camper.
I still have the inside, the kitchen, the plumbing, the electrics and all the trimming inside and outside to go though.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » February 15th, 2018, 10:20 pm

The front wall is now in, and painted with window fitted. I had a couple of minor issues though. The seals gave me a bit of trouble, I ended trimming them and now they work as they should. I hope so anyway.
Front F Wall painted 01.jpg
Front F Wall painted 02.jpg
Folded down there is not a lot of room inside, but I knew this when I thought I will go with this idea.
F Wall down inside 01.jpg
F Wall down inside 02.jpg

Return to “My Camper Trailer”