jclures DIY crossover camper

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
jclures
Avid Poster

jclures DIY crossover camper

Unread post by jclures » March 31st, 2016, 9:38 pm

I was asked by a member if I will post up my building my new camper on the forum, so I post it up as I go, mind you it may take awhile for me to finish it.

The shed was cleared out and I built the stand to build the chassis. Now I have started to put what I have planed into the real world.

jclures
Avid Poster

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Unread post by jclures » March 31st, 2016, 9:39 pm

I have now cut all the A frame steel and have started capping and cutting the angles needed in the chassis design.

Leaving the steel under the trees has left a stain from the sap, I hope to clean each section as I go before welding.

I will cut all the steel to plan at 90deg then re cut the angles, so far the measurements are with in 2mm, I think the discrepancies are due to the angle cut on inside or as plan outside measurements.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 1st, 2016, 7:25 am

Subscribed :)
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » April 1st, 2016, 8:04 am

Be great to follow along on your build.
Cheers, Marcus

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 2nd, 2016, 9:09 pm

I am hoping to save weight where I can, hopefully without taking away the strength in the chassis.

I also am trying to allow for wiring to run through the chassis, so I am cutting holes to run a pull through wire as I build it.

Once all the cutting is done, tack then weld the two pieces together for the right A frame rail.

Now to work on the other side rail.
Last edited by jclures on April 10th, 2016, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 3rd, 2016, 11:04 am

Strech4x4 I see you are a moderator, I have tried to contact the forum before, I for some reason now and for a long time I never get notifications of new posts even though I have ticked of the option. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with my settings.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 3rd, 2016, 12:33 pm

Unfortunately I think it is a bug in the forum software that the admins have been unable to resolve, some people get the emails still and others do not :(

I just checked my junk mail and I did get a notification for the posts in this thread however it gets filtered out for me so maybe check that the emails aren't ending up in a different folder?

Unfortunately I am only a mod not an admin so I can't take a look at your settings for you, however I will pass this on to someone who hopefully can take a look, although I suspect you have done nothing wrong so they probably can't do much..

Cheers
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 3rd, 2016, 1:47 pm

thanks, I will see how it goes. I get no notifications now at all from any thread.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 10th, 2016, 9:49 am

I have finished the two a frame sections, and welded the front brace. I will fit the plate for the hitch later on.

I have run the pull through wires through the front brace, trailer lighting down one side and 12v power to charge the batteries, down the other. There is also allowance for the brake wiring as well.

I am now working on the front main chassis rails. Once again I am trying to minimise weight where I can, I have cut the sections to still give cross brace support and the two pieces don't have the holes in the same area.

I hope I can get this welded today and fitted to the chassis.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 10th, 2016, 11:55 am

jclures wrote:..... I get no notifications now at all from any thread.
Sadly, Stretch is right - we just don't know why some get notifications & others don't, altho it does seem that the majority don't get notifications anymore regardless of how the triggers are set! :irked:

But we'll keep looking & the IT bods do have this on their list of things to sort too, so if anything changes.... :confused:

Btw, I'll be one of the many following this thread too - looks like a good start! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 10th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Thanks Peter for the help, lets hope they fix it.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 10th, 2016, 9:10 pm

I have finished welding the rails together, and I now can put them together to the a frame. Once in place and checked for square and tacked ready to weld.

I am using gas less wire so I am trying this product, I think it makes it easier to clean up after welding, just a quick brush with a wire brush and no grinding.

The front chassis is now together.

I just need the cross braces finished, which I have started.

And then the frame for the front storage compartment to be fitted.
Also the supports for the water tanks as well need to be fitted.

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » April 11th, 2016, 10:40 am

Not good at all to weld the coated steel which looks like it is galvanized? Gives off toxic fumes and affects the weld quality too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
Cheers, Marcus

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 11th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Marcus, that is the good thing of living in north Qld, it never is too cold, so my shed is open both ends giving good ventilation; one of the reasons I opted to use gas-less wire as too often the breeze is too strong.
Where I can, I grind some of the gal back to help with a better weld as well.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 11th, 2016, 8:15 pm

I am planing on fitting two water tanks under the camper, but I am allowing for a third if needed. This has led to my first mistake , some how in the planing in measured the tanks 15mm narrower so two tanks make 30mm. I found my mistake once I tried to fit them in place.
Luckily I had only welded one of the cross braces so I removed it and moved it the 30mm forward.

The extra front tank might never be fitted, but better it get it right now, so if I want I can just bolt the extra tank up.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”