Chesney GT Kamper rebuild for off road

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Chesney GT Kamper rebuild for off road

Unread post by Shann Low » September 16th, 2015, 4:13 am

I actually like the idea of the pig and one out of an old compressor receiver is really neat.
I only suggest the flat pack one for those without the space for a full on pig.
It just seemed like a nifty design idea the guy had.
Some sort of hose off the car exhaust to turn the spit would be a great improvement I reckon... ;)
That or a round paddle that sits in the creek running past the camp site and turns it maybe.
Our ol mechanics used to make pigs out of 2 old truck rims for keeping the workshop warm in cold winters.
Great idea they are.
I do like an open fire myself when camping BUT having been a forester and fire fighter we'd have fires started by campers every year when the marron fishing season opened.... sort of traditional to catch a few and cook em up on a pot on the river bank for a feed with fresh crusty bread, salt, butter, vinegar etc.

The "Problem" was with people leaving the fire unattended to go check their marron nets & come back to fin it escaped.
The other one was covering their fire with sand when they left instead of using the water to douse it properly!.
A good willy willy will take the sand covering off and take the embers up into the air and start a good wildfire in seconds.

Generally a lot of the younger generation haven't grown up with open fires or candles even - the number of houses in Perth that burnt down this winter with scented candles burning on bed side tables etc under a hanging curtain...that a puff of breeze in the night and suddenly the curtain is over the naked flame & alight.

We had the old fire danger board on the way into town and in bad conditions, a gas cooker was the only heat source allowed outdoors in the forests and nat parks.. but the rest of the year we usually supplied cut firewood and concrete fire rings with BBQ plates & pot hangar etc for people to us e- its half the fun of camping, having a fire... something tribal about it.. gazing into the coals...

Gazing into the gas burner ring just doesn't have the same appeal.

But I'd sooner that, than fight a wildfire in the wrong conditions at the wrong time of year.

Where I worked, we had a stone monument out the front to the 4 of our guys lost in a wildfire on 2 Jan 1958...at Easter Forest Block with a flag pole - I'd go raise and lower the flag every day in memory of them... John Hilliger (37), Robert Johnson (30), George McCORKILL (64) & John WILTSHIRE BUTLER (37) all of Willow Springs.

These days no once cares any more it seems. The worlds moved on. :rolleyes:

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » September 16th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Hi Shann.. The pig is actually made out of a automotive LPG tank. They are a lot thinner, and therefore a lot lighter. Another minor thing is that when welding it up, there seems like the metal has a high nickle content, which if is the case then the steel won't rust so much. From experience, the pig can be heated many times and the paint burnt off, but it doesn't seem to rust all that quickly.. The end caps seem to rust a lot quicker then the body. And, the body was a fair bitch to mig as well, but the end caps just welded normally, so maybe there is something in the steel. When one thinks about it, you wouldn't want your gas tank rusting from the inside out.
All the components, the chimney, legs, ect pack inside for traveling. I simply pull out two clevis pins held by R clips and the plate comes off. It goes inside a pillow case and is packed where ever it fits. Then the rest of the pig is fairly light to lift. Have made a support frame that fits in the leg attachment brackets so there is a flat surface for traveling. (if that makes sense??).

Your comment regarding experiences with unattended fires fortifies what I was saying in that people in management are getting more and more anti camp fires. Having a few friends that are in National Parks service and Dept of Forestry all seem to think that the days of open fires are coming to a close. First step was that one had to supply their own timber. The next step where applicable, would be not to supply timber for designated campfire sites. Then maybe a total fire ban in parks and forestry. The implications are that everyone would be happy if all used a 'closed' gas cooking system. Eg. gas stove.
But, even out west, a lot of station owners have applied a fire ban on their properties. Also could be one of the reasons that unless you know someone who knows someone, there is no granted access to a lot of properties. I guess this is compounded and a knock on from years of indiscriminate shooting of cattle by the irresponsible element that has painted everyone with the same brush. One of the places that we go is about 200k north west of Quilpie, pretty much in the middle of no where and the property owner still polices the area for non invitees. He maintains that a lot of fires start beside some track and spread from there. So, all in all, fire is a big problem, with limited resources and bloody big areas to cover and precious little feed as it is.
Incidentally, the pig was given the okay as it is a closed fire system. That is, that it cannot drop the fire (hot ash, coals) and is above the minimum height of 250mm above the ground. Also, I fitted a spark arrestor at the base of the chimney, so even with Gidgee, no sparks escape.
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » October 28th, 2015, 7:34 pm

On the road..
On the road 1_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

Brisbane Puff
Been here a while

Unread post by Brisbane Puff » November 3rd, 2015, 8:49 pm

Couple of the final set up..
IMG_7527b_resize.jpg
IMG_7540_resize.JPG
IMG_7525b_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puff

Return to “My Camper Trailer”