New GIC Camper Trailer

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
bazzaboy
Been here a while

New GIC Camper Trailer

Unread post by bazzaboy » June 3rd, 2015, 12:57 pm

About to take delivery of my new GIC Black Series Alpha off-road camper trailer. I had concidered buying a GIC about 3 years ago but was not impressed with their build quality. Well, what a diference a few years and a change of ownership makes.

My son & I recently visited them and spend quite some time going over the Alpha model. We could not fault the weilding & built quality, and along with their 5 year structural warrenty, convinced me to purchased one. Should be picking it up within the next couple of weeks, which will be good, because my son will be towing it .... Camden to the Cape, Cape to Darwin, Darwin to Birdsville, Birdsville to Adelaide, Adelaide to Melbourne, Melboune to Tasmania, Tasmania to Camden.
That should be a good "shake-down" trip.

Question : Does anyone have this model, and have they tried fitting 33" off-road tyres on it? I'm concerned that tyres that came with it wont stand-up to this trip. It would also be convenient having them match the tyre sizes on both mine and my son's Patrols.

Bazza
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Re: New GIC Camper Trailer

Unread post by SparkieKev » June 17th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Ask the salesman?
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » June 19th, 2015, 7:51 am

You should be able to get a pretty good idea by just measuring the tyres now, and then seeing how close 33's would come to the guards. Remember to factor in the load!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » June 23rd, 2015, 8:39 pm

And make sure you have enough canvas to get from bed base to ground with the 33s
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

bazzaboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bazzaboy » June 28th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Picked up the trailer. Very happy with the welding and independent suspension. Only thing I had to do was replace quite a few nuts & washers with lock-nuts. Had a few come loose on the way home. All good now. Not overly happy with the way they attach the spare wheel to the rear. Two large, long bolts & nuts where they could have used one, and in a position that's a PITA to get to. Will need to modify that.

Fitted 33's but thought it might be a bit close when loaded up for a Cape tripe, decided to fit off-road 31"s. Fits & looks good. No issues when we put the tent up.

My son left this morning, loaded to the gunnels, with trailer in tow for his trip to the Cape and back via Birdsville and Tassie. That should sort the bugs out. I'll be meeting him in Melbourne for the Tassie leg.

Bazza.

newt
Getting to know the place

Unread post by newt » July 18th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Hey bazzaboy,hows the alpha holding up,any major problems,i have just ordered one my self and pretty keen to see how yours has held up so far on your trip.

bazzaboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bazzaboy » July 18th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Hey newt,

Going OK. Went thorough Nolans Brook and let no water in, actually started to float.. That's a good thing. My son reports that one compression lock on the front box wont stay latched and that one of the four shocks has a slight weep. The front dolly wheel may need to be replaced as it has copped some damage ( self inflicted on the OTT ).
He also says that the front stone deflector will need replacing or some serious panel beating. That was a concern of mine when I saw it, as it was always going to happen after they replaced the netting with a solid metal panel. I'll be changing it back to netting or mesh.
The tent leaked badly when he first used it, but I expected that, as he took it without seasoning it. After a few drenching & drying out, it is now watertight with no further leaks. I don't think that's a bad report for it's first run.

He is back from the Cape and now at Cairns, he will now be heading for Mount Isa, then Birdsville, Adelaide, Melbourne & Tassie. I'll be meeting him in Melbourne and towing it around Tassie. I'll do a final report when it gets home.

Bazza

dbanksy4
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by dbanksy4 » September 3rd, 2015, 11:21 am

bazza, can I ask how the alpha is going, any issues? we are considering ordering one.

bazzaboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bazzaboy » March 20th, 2016, 6:32 pm

My son and the new camper trailer is back from it's 13,680klms trip. Had it back at GIC for some warranty work. Replaced one shock ( one of four ) still working, but still leaking, also two door locks. They also replaced the damaged dolly wheel even though it was self-inflicted. It also had a design problem that was rectified at my request. The spare wheel mounted on the rear door came in contact the the ground on the OTT and lifted the door off it's hinges. Only damage was the disconnected number plate electrics & water tank hose. Lucking it landed on the spare wheel other than the attached kitchen. To stop it ever happening again I suggested that they "pin" the hinges to stop it being lifted off.

All in all I am happy with the purchase and the hassle free warranty repairs. I do not consider these issues major, keeping it mind that it was exposed to some of the more "rugged" tracks in OZ. IMO, good value for the price.
Bazza

Return to “My Camper Trailer”