Jayco Swan rebuild from ground up

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Justian5678
Here and there

Jayco Swan rebuild from ground up

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 16th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Thought it was time to do a little posting on the rebuild I have been doing on my Jayco, have included a start photo and how It looked after the first day photo so you can seen how big this is going to get
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Justian5678 on February 21st, 2015, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justian5678
Here and there

Re: Jayco Swan rebuild from ground up

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 16th, 2015, 1:10 pm

After Two days this is how it looked
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Justian5678 on February 21st, 2015, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 19th, 2015, 12:26 pm

The next thing to be done was cut out the rust in chassis, which meant replacing all the outer rail and replacing the drawbar this took quite a while as only have stick welder. I wanted to be able to drag this thing anywhere so I also added some extra cross bracing and replaced rear cross member with a 100x50 beam so when the back end bottomed out I would not have to worry. I used the old wheels to move it in and out of the shed till I could get the new suspension made and fitted, as well as the new draw bar.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 19th, 2015, 12:37 pm

As I said before I want to be able to drag this camper anywhere and not worry so the drawbar had to go. In it's place a full length rolled drawbar, so you have no welds to break and gives support to the whole length of the trailer. This will also give me a place at the rear to mount my bumper and spare wheel carrier.
Last edited by Justian5678 on February 21st, 2015, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 19th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Was going to get the chassis hot dipped but the cost was just to much, I know some people might argue this, had it been new steel it would have been easier but because it was a combination of old and new it had to be sand blasted and that just pushed the price up to much, so painted it was. The new suspension also had to be something that was going to last and not shake the inside out of the van on corrugations. So I went with air bags so it gives me the option to adjust the pressure depending on the load I have in the van a picture below
Last edited by Justian5678 on February 21st, 2015, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 20th, 2015, 7:32 pm

The chassis got a coat of paint some new tyres, suspension and the stabiliser legs and is just about to start putting the floor on and put up some walls.

Maloo409
Getting to know the place

Re: Jayco Swann rebuild from ground up

Unread post by Maloo409 » February 21st, 2015, 9:34 am

Keep the pics of this build comming, was there any steel or timber bracing or frame work at the walls?

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 12:51 pm

Just a little background to the build, some of you might be asking yourself about how quick all this seems to be happening ? Yes, it is rather quick, that is because I started it nearly eighteen months ago, yes that is a long time ago and yes it is still not finished but when you work away for twenty-eight days and are only home for seven it does take a while. Always wanted to post about the build so took plenty of pictures along the way. A bit more back ground to the build, we (as in the family, wife two kids) had a Jayco Dove before this one which was getting too small, this is the reason for the build a bigger camper for the family with more room. The Dove had a rebuild similar to the Swan I am doing now but being the first one I had done as you always do, you seem to learn what you should have done, so there are a lot of changers made to the new one but still a lot that I repeated as I found it worked on the last one. The Dove we dragged to a lot of out of the way places, just about every four wheel drive park in southeast Queensland and northern NSW, Frazer Island just to name a few and owned it for about five years with no problems. This build I wanted to make the old 1980'S Swan Look a little newer and add some extra storage, better water supply and bigger fridge, all which add some extra weight, this is why I went with the air bags as it is rated to 2.1 tonne and allows me to keep it legal in the end. There is a photo of the old camper below.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 1:26 pm

Maloo409 wrote:Keep the pics of this build comming, was there any steel or timber bracing or frame work at the walls?
On the older Swan's the frame is done in timber they changed to the aluminium frame in the later model's, 1991 was the first year Jayco had an aluminium frame. With the timber frame they only ever stapled the timber together which was never real strong and with the rot from the water getting in thru nail holes after thirty years they are in need of a re-build. The timber I find is easy to work with and I always glue with an epoxy glue and screw the frame together, they might not be as strong or light as the aluminium but they once glued and screwed seem to hold together quite well.
Last edited by Justian5678 on February 21st, 2015, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 1:31 pm

You can see why these older models could fall apart when they hit corrugations on the outback roads, there was never a lot holding them together

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 1:51 pm

When I rebuilt the walls, I always use the floor of the camper as this helps to keep them nice and straight and I can check to make sure they are square as this helps later when you come to put it together. With the look of the camper I wanted to make it look more modern, so the rear got upgraded a look and the front was used to add more storage space like the modern one which mine never had. To add the new fridge I also need to make the sides higher as the new fridge was a all fridge 90 litre Engle.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 1:58 pm

This is one of the side walls, as you can see I added timber to the top and bottom to get the extra height I needed and extra bracing in the frame. This bracing is to allow me to screw the internal seat frames and kitchen frames to the walls which makes the camper stronger and a lot less likely to shake apart.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 2:07 pm

The front wall I built out to add storage and allow me somewhere to put my batteries, compressor for the air bags and still have all the under seat storage inside the camper free.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 21st, 2015, 2:37 pm

Below is a photo of the front storage, it will allow me to put my batteries and air compressor for air bags. I will seal the outer sheet of ply with some epoxy that I used on the rear wall to water proof and then cover with a sheet of aluminium checker plate to help protect from stone chips ect.

Justian5678
Here and there

Unread post by Justian5678 » February 22nd, 2015, 9:13 am

The rear wall I changed to make it a little more modern looking and add some strength to the back by adding extra cross bracing to screw the internal seats and kitchen to.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”