Timmo's Base Camp Trailer

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
gqjay
Part of the furniture

Re: Timmo's Base Camp Trailer

Unread post by gqjay » January 13th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Thats awesome, well done... :drink:

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » January 14th, 2015, 12:53 am

Great set up, could you build me one. :lol:
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » January 14th, 2015, 11:41 am

That's an awesome setup. I bet it's be a whole lot quicker to set up with the 30second tents as well.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3.0 TD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135354
2002 Nissan Patrol ZD30 viewtopic.php?f=187&t=145261

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 14th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Thanks boys, I'm pretty stoked with how it has turned out and how functional it is.

Yeah Salty, the Oztents make it pretty quick to set up and pack up. Also makes it heaps easy for me to do on my own while the Mrs keeps the kids amused. The setup makes use of tents that I already had rather than leaving them in the garage to be used only on the odd occasions where the trailer isn't required. So win-win situation for me I thought, especially with how they all zip together on the foxwing.
Cheers,

Nathan

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » January 15th, 2015, 1:30 am

Well done Timmo
You can see you did some planning on this build to suit your needs . Now you have the best of both worlds going light or having it all.
Now time to enjoy. How was Newnes ! I recognise your campsite in those photos.
One question how is the chainsaw fuel mountings working out ! have you thought about enclosing that area & putting a shelve in to store the chainsaw up on top if you have the length ! You could make the door drop down so it could be used as a step to access the roof rack.

Happy camping Cheers TLC60S

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 15th, 2015, 6:16 am

Well spotted mate.

That was it's maiden voyage in October just to see how it all goes. Yeah, there was substantial planning involved. More along the lines of figuring out what we needed and how to keep it compact.

Chainsaw fuel mounting works well. I thought about welding up a cradle to hold the saw in there too but it doesn't fit. Slightly too big in height and length. For now it has a couple of dedicated eye bolts on the roof rack of the trailer and a couple on the rack of the car aswell so I can take it with me when we leave camp for day trips etc.
Cheers,

Nathan

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » January 21st, 2015, 10:14 pm

Love your base camp mate...What a machine. I do like the slide out kitchens over the tail gate mounted ones. Some manufacturers say it eliminates storage configurations that involve storing a table... but I say the kitchen doesn't have to be 400mm high...therefore leaving plenty room to slide one in...anyways...

Great work. :truck: :truck:
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 26th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Thanks monkeybucket, much appreciated. I really liked the look of the slim kitchen, was far easier to fit and still has more than enough space for what I need. All I store in it is cutlery and the sink drain hose. All pots/pans etc are stored in one of the 4x drawers in the trailer. I only really wanted bench space, nothing else. Having it mounted on slides means I don't have to worry about worn/sagged tailgate hinges in the future.
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 26th, 2015, 8:45 pm

A few pics of the trailer from the last 3x days at Barrington Tops.

This time out it was only me and the wife so we decided on taking just the RV5 and the sidewall kit just in case of bad weather. We normally have the Tagalong Tent for the kids aswell but they were at their grandparents' for this trip. The RV5/sidewalls zipped to the Foxwing gave us a heap of dry undercover area for when it rained (and it did a couple of times) so we were still able to relax and have shelter for meals etc.
The firewood box on the drawbar carried enough dry wood for us to have a decent fire for 3x nights so was pretty happy with not having to scavenge around to find some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Nathan

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » January 27th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Great set up mate. Which campsite were you at?
We were up for a daytrip on Sunday............it is always so nice there
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 27th, 2015, 5:52 pm

We spent time at both Little Murray and Polblue campgrounds. The pics above were taken at Polblue.

It's a very nice part of the world. We were there from Wednesday-Saturday to dodge the long weekend traffic and crowds.
Cheers,

Nathan

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » January 27th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Your set up looked good set up at Polblue Timmo.
They are both nice camp spots but we like Little Murray cause it has a little creek where it is easier to collect water for our showers as Polblue you have to hike to far for the water.

Cheers TLC60S

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 28th, 2015, 6:33 am

Yeah, agreed.

We would have stayed at Little Murray only it started to get super busy with some rather loud groups pretty well on top of us. Loud music at camp is a pet hate of mine so we bailed out for somewhere more quiet.
Cheers,

Nathan

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » January 28th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Yeah I don't know why people need to play their music so loud while camped besides others, I wish that was my only problem on the weekend when we were camping at Chichester. A group took being annoying to a new level bringing a set of bongo drums and a trumpet which they couldn't play a tune.
The last time I camped at Little Murray on a long weekend when we arrived the people already there called us over to fill the last spot just so they didn't have noisy neighbours.

Cheers TLC60S

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm

I love my music but music in general at camp annoys me. To make it worse it was Top 40 Pop crap, not even good music at least. Bongo's and trumpets is just wrong and inconsiderate, that would have been painful!

I get out to escape noise, not bring it with me. It was our 10 year wedding anniversary and a very rare few days without the kids so peace and quiet was a must have at any cost! 10 minutes up the track to Polblue and happy days.........silence.
Cheers,

Nathan

Return to “My Camper Trailer”