Timmo's Base Camp Trailer

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Timmo
Need to get out more

Timmo's Base Camp Trailer

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Hey all,

After the arrival of our second kid, we quickly realised that squeezing all our gear into the 4by was fast becoming impossible and dangerous. Reluctantly I looked into trailers, I had been avoiding this for a long time.

I wasn't keen on a soft floor camper, quite liked the hard floor campers but no matter what, I couldn't find anything that really fit the bill. I was after some thing that the current market didn't offer. I wanted versatility, something that really matched the tow vehicle, tough and solid without being huge. I already had an RV5 Oztent with all the fruit (which I cant speak highly enough of) and decided I wanted a base camp setup rather than a trailer with built in sleeping quarters.

After sussing out building it myself and pricing the materials, I sent out for some quotes to have it built for comparison. I couldn't find a trailer manufacturer in Sydney that was interested in a custom one-off, most didn't return emails or calls. In the end I settled on Tru Blu Camper Trailers in Melbourne. There was only $2000 difference between them building and me doing it. They got the job for the basic trailer construction. I sent through some drawings and went for a drive to drop off some of the materials I acquired already (mainly rims/tyres so I can run exact same as the tow vehicle).

It is essentially based off a 6x4 tradesmans trailer except I wanted a full width canopy rather than only being the width of the tub. It is built to full offroad HD specs. After picking it up from them, I towed it back home to Sydney so I could start the fitout.

Basic trailer specs are;

6x4 full offroad trailer
100x50x3 triple drawbar
50x50x3 chassis
eye to eye 7 leaf springs & shocks
full width welded steel canopy with incorporated roof rack
full height/width doors either side with gas struts and T locks
swing open tailgate
electric drum brakes with handbrake
polyblock offroad coupling
LED taillights
mesh box on drawbar following drawbar profile (for firewood)
double safety chains
32x11.5x15 Maxxis Bighorn MT on 15x8 0 offset Black Sunraysia rims
1500kg GVM
Rear stabiliser legs
Rear mounted Hitch receiver for Bike Rack

Here are some pics of the trailer during the build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Timmo on October 18th, 2014, 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Re: Timmo's Base Camp Trailer

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Don't know why the above pics are on their side but anyway.....................

Here's a few from when I towed it home. The trailer was designed to have the same profile as my Challenger so as to not create excess wind resistance from sticking out wider than the car. It also shares the same wheel track. The trailer doesn't have a mounted spare wheel as it shares the same wheels/tyres as the 4by and I carry 2 spares on my rear bar anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Timmo on October 18th, 2014, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 12:32 pm

When I got home I started with fitting the water tank. I bought a 100L stainless tank from Xtrail Campers old stock. My idea was to fit everything in the tub of the trailer so it is all protected and nothing is hanging below the trailer to get hung up on.
tank.jpg
Fitted 2x 100AH Batteries into a cradle that I welded up out of 25x25 angle.
batteries.jpg
Mounted my solar panels under the mesh floor of the roof rack. Also added an M12 eyebolt on each rail down either side of the roof rack. I have since added another row down the centre.
panels.jpg
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Next I built a false wall inside the front of the trailer approximately 100mm deep and full height/width. This hides all the wiring and gave me a mounting point for my chargers/switches/sockets. All hardware throughout the entire trailer is Marine Grade Stainless. I then started fitting out the electrics.

Specs are;

Ctek D250s Dual DC-DC Charger (also used as Solar Reg)
Ctek 7A 240V Charger
Carling Contura Rocker Switches for all accessories
Baintech USB outlets
Baintech 12V sockets (both sides of trailer)
Baintech Voltmeter and Amp meter (measuring current input from Solar Panels)
Baintech 12 way fuseblock
LED strip lights under each door
2x internal LED strip lights
External 240V input for battery charger
Anderson Plug at hitch for connection to tow vehicle
70A Circuit Breaker at Batteries
Battery temp sensor for Ctek DC charger

Pic of chargers mounted on front wall.
chargers.jpg
Pic showing all wiring running around trailer encased in 20mm hard conduit and secured with stainless saddles/rivets.
conduit.jpg
External 240V inlet for 7A Charger.
240v inlet.jpg
Last edited by Timmo on October 18th, 2014, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Got some Aluminium Checker plate for the drawbar to make footing for a gas bottle holder. Added 2x eyebolts and done.
gas bottle tie down.jpg
Some more eyebolts on one side step for my chainsaw fuel.
chainsaw fuel tie down.jpg
Next I fitted a water filler for my Tank and also ran some brass pipe to an external tap. The external tap is gravity fed from the tank and is purely for washing hands etc while out on the tracks to save opening the kitchen and turning on the pump. The tank already had 2x 1/2 inch feeds welded into it. The tap is just a 1/4 turn ball valve type. I fitted a plastic garden hose fitting with a rubber bung to keep the tap clean and clear of mud etc.
filler.jpg
external tap.jpg
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 1:08 pm

The aim of the game with this trailer was to mount a Foxwing awning to it and then zip my RV5 Oztent to that. I also purchased an RV5 Tagalong tent which zips to the Foxwing aswell so that is the kids sleeping quarters.

Foxwing mounted up.
foxwing.jpg
I also purchased a Stainless Kitchen from Xtrail Campers for use in my build. This is mounted on 225kg drawer slides and slides out the back left side of the trailer. The kitchen has a tap/sink which is fed from a 12V pump mounted near the tank. The pressure hose is spiral wrapped for protection. When the kitchen is out, a stainless latch clips the tailgate to the kitchen to prevent it swinging all over the place should the wind pick up.
kitchen.jpg
kitchen 2.jpg
I mounted 2x Narva LED Floodlights on the rear external wall to light up the kitchen at night. They work a treat.
led spotlights.jpg
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Next came building the Internals. I built a false floor the full width/length of the trailer to build a set of drawers and mount a fridge slide. I wanted 2x drawers either side, one side for food and the other side for all our cooking gear etc. I built the drawers out of ply and covered them with carpet. In the top of the drawers are 6x Stainless steel recessed tie down rings for strapping in our self inflating mats, sleeping bags and pillows. The drawers are mounted on 125kg HD drawer slides with a lock in/out feature. They are internally carpeted and have stainless handles. Below the 2x front drawers are cutouts in the floor. The left side has a cutout to access the batteries below if needed. The right side has a 60L plastic storage tub beneath it which holds the drain hose for the sink, garden hose to fill the tank while out and other random stuff that is not often used.

The fridge is a 40L Waeco mounted on an MSA Drop Slide. I also have another 40L Waeco in the 4by so we have 80L of usable space. One fridge gets used for food, the other for drinks. Can even use one as a freezer on longer trips if need be.

Left side showing drawers, fridge slide/fridge and electrics.
left internal.jpg
Right side showing drawers, fire extinguisher and electrics.
right internal.jpg
I left a 100mm gap between the drawers and the front wall as a space to store the poles for the Foxwing and any other spare poles I need to carry.
pole gap.jpg
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Next I built a cargo barrier around my fridge. I used 20x20mm SHS and 20x20 mesh. Tig welded it together and painted black. It has an MSA Barrier Organiser on the side and the back of it has an Eye Bolt at the top so I can strap my tables to it in an upright position. I placed some adhesive felt on the side of the barrier to stop it rubbing the surface of the tables away.
barrier organiser.jpg
cargo barrier.jpg
A pic with my 2x tables packed up against it. BBQ sits on the floor just in front with mesh floors for tents and Foxwing.
tables packed.jpg
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Here's a few of it set up.

The Foxwing was chosen as I can zip the tents to it at 4x different points making it very versatile. I can also close the whole thing in with the walls for the Foxwing making a rather large weatherproof area perfect for keeping dry in bad weather. The whole basis of it was to be able to still use the trailer even if I just want to take a couple of swags rather than having to set up a huge tent as you do with soft floor campers. I can use the swags, one Oztent only, an Oztent and the Tagalong and even the Foxwing walls for a complete long term campsite all depending on the duration of the stay and the amount of people with me. Both the tent and the Foxwing have a mesh floor so you're not standing on wet grass/dirt all the time.

With it fully loaded with water/gear/firewood it comes in at around 1000-1100kg with a ball weight around 80kg. It tows perfectly and doesn't over work the car at all. Best of all, when not in use it can be left outside with everything still packed and locked up inside, the solar panels keeping the batteries up at full charge.

It's one of those things that I'm sure will be ever evolving but for now it does the job well. I'll post up some more pics as the mods and trips continue.
Cheers,

Nathan

TheBlackbird
Been here a while

Unread post by TheBlackbird » October 18th, 2014, 4:20 pm

wow, awesome!! :waycool:
:fish:
1990 HJ75RV

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 18th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Cheers mate. :thumb:

I'm sure it's not for everyone but it does what I wanted from it.
Cheers,

Nathan

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » October 19th, 2014, 3:23 am

absolutely love it. theres a lot of nice setups out there, but this really catches my eye.

as you said, the base camp setup is great, and you can have it setup simple or full boar as in your pics.

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » October 19th, 2014, 7:05 am

Well done on the build Timmo, one hell of a neat set up :thumb:
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » October 19th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Thanks gents.

I also made sure that the roof rack was sizeable enough to accommodate a roof top tent if I decide to venture down that track in the future. I may also look at another awning off the right hand side if I decide it's necessary.
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 13th, 2015, 6:33 pm

I bought some small levelling ramps for those uneven sites aswell as acting as a wheel chock of sorts (they are contoured to hold the tyres). I fitted 2x eyebolts to the otherwise unused area in front of the guard on the left hand side to be able to secure them. This area is only really used as a step to access the roof rack so they are out of the way. Easily accessed for when we arrive at camp and no problem if they are muddy when we pack as they are on the outside.
Cheers,

Nathan

Return to “My Camper Trailer”