billys multi purposed camping trailer

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
billyj
Part of the furniture

billys multi purposed camping trailer

Unread post by billyj » October 1st, 2014, 7:36 pm

well this is the build up for my caper project,

the idea started with me being sick of having to pack up my roof top tent every time i wanted to go for a drive and also getting back into dirtbikes. the plan was to build a trailer to carry the bike with the tent above that on a frame that could be easily removed so the trailer can be used for other jo as required

i started by having a heavyduty 7x5' deep sided off road trailer built by victorian trailers.
delivery.jpg
the next step was to get some steel and get busy cutting and welding on the rack to hold the rtt and awning
building rack.jpg
rack.jpg
once i was happy i slid the rack out of the trailer to do the final welds and paint it
ready for paint.jpg
while the paint was drying i got busy on making a nice solid mount for my spare(a 265/75r16 on patrol steelie isnt light)
spare wheel mount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spoonz4X4Brigade

billyj
Part of the furniture

Re: billys multi purposed camping trailer

Unread post by billyj » October 1st, 2014, 7:42 pm

the next job was to weld the mount into the drawbar leaving room for a toolbox which will be added later and i also added a rail to the front of the rack with tiedown points for my bike
wheel holder and tie down rail.jpg
and one with the spare on board
wheel mounted and tie down rail.jpg
also mounted the rtt and awning onto the trailer
tent and awning.jpg
final job for the day was to load the bike of for a visual of how it was all coming together
bike on board.jpg
still got plenty to do, waiting on a piece of channel to arrive which will be mounted up the middle for the bike to sit in, gotta paint the spare wheel mount etc and add the toolbox, battery and some led lighting in the tent/awning. also considering a couple of jerry can holders and some kind of swing out bench
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spoonz4X4Brigade

billyj
Part of the furniture

Unread post by billyj » October 6th, 2014, 8:05 pm

well got fired up again late last week and finished the first stage of the build by spraying up all the mounts and brackets and bolting it all together.

decided id throw the bike in and go for a bit of a drive to see how it towed. towed well, might look into sliding the tent back and putting some form of areodynamic deflector on the front later but didnt seem too bad so far.

next step is a toolbox for the drawbar and fitting some led lighting into the tent and under the awning, aswell as some form of fold/swing out benches for under the awning
Spoonz4X4Brigade

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 6th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Nice work ... many adventures to be had...
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

billyj
Part of the furniture

Unread post by billyj » October 6th, 2014, 8:28 pm

and if anyones wondering by undoing 2 bolts in each corner the whole rack & tent will lift straight out leaving me with an empty trailer
Spoonz4X4Brigade

billyj
Part of the furniture

Unread post by billyj » October 9th, 2014, 9:26 pm

got into it a bit more today, filled in the space between the ends of the trailer and the mudguards. made a filler piece from 2.1mm tread plate and welded it in will be handy as a step/running board and somewhere to add jerrycan/gas bottle holders down the track.
Spoonz4X4Brigade

Return to “My Camper Trailer”