Taking The Average Box Trailer To A New Level

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Taking The Average Box Trailer To A New Level

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » August 12th, 2014, 10:30 am

Hi all,

I have been considering this for a while, see question thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153821

Objective, To build a tough trailer that can be used as a home box trailer, a tough work trailer to haul stuff around when needed and a very basic camper trailer with room for gear and a Roof top tent on top.

The Plan, Basically a 550mm deep, 7' by 4' trailer with a very solid frame. The rear door will swing out and the tent will sit on a removable 25x25x1.6 steel frame. The whole trailer will be under 250kg (Hopefully :redface: ) and I wont be worrying about brakes at this point in time, although I can always add them later.

Ill be running a triple draw bar, with landcruiser springs, hubs, bearings, U bolts, hangers, U bolt plates, shocks (If needed :rolleyes: ) Bushs, pins ect. So I will have spares when needed. And have roughly the same wheel travel as the new cruiser. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

The axle will be from a 60 series, the center will be cut out and extended a little to make up the proper width.

Also, like allwyas I will be trying to keep things cheap.

So far I have made up the frame, 50x50x3 RHS and 75x50x3 RHS for the outside draw bars, and 25x25x1.6 RHS for the floor supports. The draw bar came together pretty well, and the frame is now fully welded.

I have also pulled apart the rear springs I will be using for the suspension, I have reduced them down to 5 springs, but I can always add some back.

'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

v6hilux
Part of the furniture

Re: Takeing The Average Box Trailer To A New Level

Unread post by v6hilux » August 12th, 2014, 10:49 am

Great work mate!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: Taking The Average Box Trailer To A New Level

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 12th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Awesome mate. Keen to follow this. I'd love to build my own one day

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » August 14th, 2014, 10:33 pm

You know, there are places in Sydney which will fold up a set of sides and ends for you to your specs , then you can weld the corner posts in etc nice and neat, and save a lot of work and weight by not making a box frame for the sides and then welding the sheet metal on. I have a similar project in mind. I had a commercially manufactured 6x4 box trailer which rusted out after 10 years or so, so I am going to rebuild it to suit my needs - multi purpose heavy duty etc.
Anyway, Good luck with it!

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » August 14th, 2014, 10:46 pm

typhoeus wrote:You know, there are places in Sydney which will fold up a set of sides and ends for you to your specs , then you can weld the corner posts in etc nice and neat,

Thats the plan!

My local steel place is going to fold me up some sides, (just L and R, the front and back will be checkerplate I have arround the house) and these sides will be welded on 3 sides to 50x50 RHS and the 25x50 RHS at the top.

Its a bit hard to understand but I will post picks when I get back from hollidays. :lol:
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » September 17th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Ok so Im back from holiday, and work has been pretty crazy.

I cut the corner pieces from some checker plate of my old tray, they took forever to get cleaned up.

The verticals are on and so are three of the corners. Im waiting on some 50x3 flat bar to go round the edges of the corners.

I will keep the updates comming now Im back.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » September 17th, 2014, 8:39 pm

looks great, coming together nicely.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » September 21st, 2014, 1:45 am

So I got some more steel, im trying to avoid buying it all at once, so I always get the right bits.

I have boxed in the corners with 50x3 flat steel and bend it around as I welded it, came up great.

I got the steel bent up for the front of the tub and it came out great. but it was a little bit long so I had to take 8mm of the bottom which made it less attractive, so Im going to have to line front corner with 30x30 angle to clean up the edge.

I think it looks great.

I have been using zinc gal for my welds after cleaning them up. looks like its going to be a good base for getting paint onto the gal steel.

jamesjye7
Here and there

Unread post by jamesjye7 » October 2nd, 2014, 3:22 am

Nice Work mate, Just about to start my trailer build.
Re Paint: If you use metal etch primer it works really well on gal and is a damn site cheaper than cold gal. (Zinc gal) Also creates a really good etch surface to paint with your choice of rust guard type paint.
Keep the picks coming.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » October 2nd, 2014, 5:25 pm

Thanks, I was originally using the etch primer, but im worried about its rust prevention properties? Thats why I was thinking cold gal and some form of enamel rust killing paint.

The cold gal also gives a fairly rough surface for paint.

billyj
Part of the furniture

Unread post by billyj » October 2nd, 2014, 6:45 pm

without sounding like an ass, your drawbar is a failure waiting ot happen, your 100x50 should be the other way so that they are 100 tall, also the welds where you have mitred the drawbar to the main chassis are likely going to fail as the way your drawbar is at present its going to flex alot and all the flexing is going to fatigue those welds. your drawbar should be coming undder your chassis welded to each member above it along the drawbar but no across it right back and ideally finishing by welding into the front spring hanger
Spoonz4X4Brigade

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » October 2nd, 2014, 11:19 pm

I can see where the confusion is coming from.

The point of contact between the drawbar/chassis and the tub body is the weakest point, but it is in no way a weak point.

The draw bar is the main chassis, those 75x50x3 are a single piece with a triangle cut out to allow for the bend, and over the bend there is a gusset welded in to strengthen. (not in yet in the first photos and cant be seen in the newer ones). and the weak point occurs under where the tub is mounted to further strengthen.

The single length chassis is welded to the base of the tub at every point they intersect. (my quick calculation came up with over 5m of weld holding the chassis to the tub).

And the 50x50x3 that runs the length of the trailer to the draw bar will further limit any fatigue.

The problem with cheap 4x4 trailers is the separate draw bar that only runs to the base of the spring hangers, there are only 2 or three points per side that the draw bar can attach to the main body.

As I said earlier this is not a normal box trailer. :frog:

But any comments are appreciated.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » October 2nd, 2014, 11:57 pm

As for the orientation of the chassis rails.

They are sitting that way to limit horizontal movement, and stiffen the front of the trailer up. With them sitting horizontal they will also provide the mounting point for the suspension.

I would sit them vertically if the weight over the draw bar was an issue, ie: to prevent the draw bar being bent due to weight in the trailer, but with the triple draw bar here, the strength is not a huge issue.

jamesjye7
Here and there

Unread post by jamesjye7 » October 3rd, 2014, 7:37 pm

billyj wrote:without sounding like an ass, your drawbar is a failure waiting ot happen, your 100x50 should be the other way so that they are 100 tall, also the welds where you have mitred the drawbar to the main chassis are likely going to fail as the way your drawbar is at present its going to flex alot and all the flexing is going to fatigue those welds. your drawbar should be coming undder your chassis welded to each member above it along the drawbar but no across it right back and ideally finishing by welding into the front spring hanger
Mate,
Any chance you want to provide some input on this one?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=155085

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » October 6th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I done the same thing to a moto trailer I built years ago. I butted the draw bar into the rectangle frame of the trailer. I triangle plated the underside of the joins with 8mm plate. I took that trailer threw glasshouse behind the lux, on dirt roads everywhere and never had a problem.

When I was building that trailer I was following DOT specs, I'm pretty certain it says the draw bar has to go under the main chassis and end just before the suspension. I didn't want to do that tho, I think it's rediculous but I'm no expert trailer bloke. Mine past the roadworthy no worries and like I said years of abuse...

Return to “My Camper Trailer”