Boof's diy hd multi purpose budget built trailer.

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Boof's diy hd multi purpose budget built trailer.

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 21st, 2014, 7:30 pm

So onto the trailer..

I have put some of this up in the diy thread but decided bugger it, will make a build thread to show the poor buggers like myself can build stuff on a budget and while its not a kimberley or a gic it will do just fine until i can afford one (probably never for me lol)

Started life as a 8x5 tandem axle. Spent its life hauling fencing gear about inclusive of strainer posts splits rails etc sometimes upwards of three tonne on it. Went for a ride into a gully via a horse yard one day - salvaged with an excavator then put back to work but after 5 years of utter abuse from me it was time for a refresh. I wish i had some pics of it before i started to show the scope of abuse but i dont dammit lol.

Started it new life as a single axle after i left it in the shed pondering what to do with it. So decided to make a multi use thing with a slide on camper. Cut the sides off it, managed to save. Junked the tail gate, chassis, old pull brakes, gave the old five stud hubs and wheels to dad in return for the steel for a new chassis. Plenty of time on a nine inch grinder here!!

Built new chassis out of 65x65x3 rhs duragal, notch at front for full length rails and welded. 100x65x8mm c channel for the centre rail and pull mount. New 9"drums/brakes in 6 stud l'cruiser formation were fitted on 5 leaf springs and solid axle saved from the trailer originally, spring over conversion, shackle not slipper style setup with extended front mount, also re used. As its a budget build cost is at a massive premium, not exactly rich or sponsered so the old theory reuse and recycle and the barter system coming in big time. New bushes and bolts (6 off - 2 half inch and 1 five eight inch either side plus bushes) owe me $48. Chequerplated floor 3mm, $90 - scored some bent bits 8x4 times 2. Fully welded inside. All done with a old cigweld arc welder and 3.2mm 12p rods, 16tc on strength peices. Custom tool boxes on rear for whatever, spare tyre rack front right, jerry cans will be front left. Water tank, while not fitted yet will be mounted underneath over the axle. Wheels and tyres will match my ute, 15x8 -25 sunnies with 32"s. Wheels were free - cleaned up, etched, and painted ($28 - 2 cans wheel paint) tyres - $50 - facebook buy swap sell. Hubs / brakes $198 + 45 delivery. Already had leds on the last trailer so re using. New wiring $25 for five metres of heavy 7 core. So far around 485 bucks

Plenty to do yet but very hopefull to get some more done this week - will post as i do.
Hope to have it done for less than 800 registered. Have all the steel to finish it and paintas well. See how we go.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also building a slide on camper budget style but will post up more when i get some pics....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Re: Boof's diy hd multi purpose budget built trailer.

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 21st, 2014, 8:02 pm

Couple of photos of the chassis n suspension.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Definitely going to do some more this week so will be posting as I go, stay tuned!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boof

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 22nd, 2014, 7:27 pm

It's looking like a pretty flash project so far, but I do hafta ask.... Have you weighed it lately??

Just wondering how much it tips the scales at.... and what sort of payload it'll have with just the over-ride brakes?!

It looks like it's gonna be more than strong enough to carry a whole heap more than you'll be legally allowed to, so have you considered fitted a break away braking system?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 22nd, 2014, 7:41 pm

Good work mate.

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 9:43 am

Cheers guys.

Pete, you got a link for some info on that break away system? I will be quite honest got absolutely no idea what that is - the trailer thing is pretty new to me. Towed and maintained plenty trucks and fourbys alike, but never heard of that :confused:

As for the weight nope havent weighed it but as it sit minus the axle and hubs etc myself and the old man can lift it and move it albeit with a fair bit of grunting!! Probably around 350kg mark as it sits, full trim, atm but thats just a guess. Would have to chuck it on a weigh bridge to work out how fat it is and whether or not it needs to lose some weight.

The way it is frame wise its nearly done but the slide on camper i am making is out of alloy checker plate and fridge panel....... No weight problems here :D more on that later in the week.

Pretty sure overiders give me 1500 gtm up here in qld so we shall see.

At least it wont break!!!!
Boof

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 23rd, 2014, 5:40 pm

It's a relatively new thing for 'small trailers & caravans' Boof, the rules changed a while back tho!! The link below to the Caravan & Camping site tells you all about the most recent braking system rules (altho it is a bit biased towards info about caravans etc, but it was the easiest to find!) ;)

http://www.towingguide.com.au/content/b ... stems.html

Note the compulsory requirement at the 3rd dot point for an automatic 'breakaway braking system' that works on all wheels for EVERY trailer with a GTM of over 2000kgs!!! Where we used to be able to tow up to 3500 kgs with many of the big 4x4's, now if the trailer is over 2000kgs you hafta have one of these snazzy braking systems that activates itself automatically AND keeps the brakes locked for 15 mins if the trailer breaks away/disconnects from the tow vehicle.... and it isn't all that cheap to fit them up if you've got a few trailers/caravans around & they can all be loaded to over 2 tonnes!! :eek:

Just google 'breakaway trailer brakes' or 'breakaway trailer braking systems' or something like that for all the info on them, and where you can get them... I can't remember what system/brand it is that we have on our big stock crate/vehicle trailer, but it works via an on board pump & air tank that keeps the 'breakaway brakes' OFF when it's all connected up, similar to semi-trailer brakes (in that if you lose air pressure then the emergency/park brake goes on & stays on until you get enough air pressure to 'blow them off' again!)... The van has a totally different system, one that operates off the on-trailer 'house battery' with an electric controller in the tow vehicle cab - if the electrickery link to the tow vehicle is 'broken' &/or the 'house battery' goes flat, the van brakes go on & stay on.... altho it seems many of the cheaper units rely on the on-trailer battery to keep the brakes on for 15 mins plus.... Without these systems we woulda been restricted to towing a total load (inc trailer) of no more than 2 tonnes!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 7:26 pm

Jeeeezz, s*** just got serious.... Being a budget build it may be out of my league for a while so will probably have to live with the two tonne gtm. For now. I do appreciate the effort you have gone to to get me that info mate. Cheers for that. Looks at this stage it works out dearer than the damn trailers worth!!!! Still, cheers for that again Peter.

Maybe time to go give that trailer some exercise!! :D
Boof

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 23rd, 2014, 8:34 pm

Yeah, I suspect that there are a LOT of trailers that have suddenly been down-graded to carry only enough to bring them up to 1999 kgs!! It's a shame, your re-build looks pretty damn good & it's probably somewhat safer now that it's being refurbished than it might have been for some years..... even if it was carrying heavier loads!! But the rules make it pretty expensive to go over that 2 tonne mark these days, either by fitting the brakes, or being caught without them!! :eek:

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 28th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Finally got out to do a bit more on my trailer - big thanks again to my old man for his help and guidance. So we got going again by attacking the top running boards - because we used the original sides and the tops were a bit crusty and the slide on was 25 mm too big just made sense to replace them and strengthen the sides at the same time. So cut the old ones off (50mm) and replaced with 65x35x2mm rhs with a 20x4mm flat bar "wedge" to pack out the sides - sounds dodgy but look at the pics and you will see the method in the madness considering we lost 15mm a side in removing the old sh1tty tops. Welded up a 50mm angle frame to house some more chequerplate for the tailgate and used some rather agricutural ag hinges to swing it - they actially look quite pro and it slides off/on perfectly.
Cut up a couple big chain links and modded a ratchet strap for my spare wheel - welded the links and shortened the strap. Ised a bit of booker rod to locate it - welded of course!! Run a nut n washer up it a drilled a hole to locate the padlock - pity we have to go to these lengths to keep the honest fulla honest......

Just hafta get some jerry holders and finsh that rack, lids for the toolboxes and chequerplate the tailgate, then finish the paint prep then paint :)
Boof

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 28th, 2014, 8:08 pm

More pics. Note in pic 3, the rhino racks and roof basket. That was the score of the year. Gave away n old couch to this fella and god bless him he gave me the rack in return. Saves me spending 500 bucks on it lol. That money can go towards a 40" daymaker to go with the already overloaded with lights bullbar lol. I did say budget here didnt I. Todays materials owe me 35 bucks bringing total to $520. Theres not much left to spend now as i already have paint lying round to do that, just need to invest in two jerry holders and the trailer it self is all bar finished. Except for finer details and rego of course... :D

Look at the pics bottom to top - doing all this on an iphone so a bit difficult to get them in order :/
Boof

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 28th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Heres a coupla pics of the slide on getting built as a side project - will be far more full on once i finish the trailer. Fridge panel and alloy chequerplate (sense a theme here??? :) ) will have a lifting floor where the bed to access the trailer base for whatever i store in there (gonna build a long draw set as well), will be sealed one side and access via a loft up awning that will double as the door access on the passenger side. The box on the front will house tent poles and whatever else - note there is two storages in that - bottom one is open as pictured the top in the little triangle is also storage.

Back is where the kitchen is - has a gas burner and a sink atm and will be improved as i get more time and funds. Ideas and thoughts more than welcome!!!!
Boof

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » September 7th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Finally got back into the trailer yesterday - gotta thank my little fella for helping me out :)
image.jpg
Got the tail gate done, had enough chequerplate left to do it thank god didnt really want to spend another 90 bucks on another sheet. Got some drop latches and welded some 40x5mm flat for the locating tags that was lying around in the scrap pile for that. Also mounted to the two jerry can holders - bargain at repco for 40 bucks each. Was gonna make my own but you couldnt make them for that price. Come with locks too. Another one of keep the honest fella honest. Also got se wire grips and a turnbuckle etc in 316 stainless to go with the 5mm stainless wire rope i aquired - for nothing mind you! - so I can put the overiders together. Designed and built the tool box lids but havent fitted them yet. Got a couple of small toggle latches much the same as ute side ones but smaller to secure them for $17 for both sides. I can see now the accessories are gonna be dearer than the trailer itself! Nearly got it done, so fit the lids, tidy up, paint, and fit the brake hardware and wire it up.

Cost update $520

Trailer brake hardware $45
Jerry holders 2 @ $40
Tailgate pins 2 @ $7

Updated cost so far $619
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Boof

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » September 7th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Found an old pic of the trailer too. Its pretty sh***y but will give you an idea of what i started with. Bought me a little mig fr cashies while mine was getting fixed. Cigweld transmig 165 for $140 - bargain and goes well the little fart. Love it. Will set my other mig up for gas when it comes back :)
image.jpg
Boof

big nut
Here and there

Unread post by big nut » October 30th, 2014, 1:56 pm

REALLY liking this build. I have 2 trailers (one 5x4 box, one go cart trailer with frame) sitting here just begging to have something like this done to them....

thanks for sharing :thumb:

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » October 31st, 2014, 9:47 am

No worries cheers for that. Build has stalled for the minute due to a thousand other projects but it isnt far from being done. Just gotta build a couple tool box lids mount the jerry holders and tidy it up and paint. Nearly there :)
Boof

Return to “My Camper Trailer”