Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
gqjay
Part of the furniture

Re: Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Unread post by gqjay » October 9th, 2014, 12:07 pm

For the second gas bottle holder storage area , have you put vent or drain hole in floor. Still wouldn't take the risk of it is still just second bottle to carry.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » October 9th, 2014, 12:23 pm

THE RIG wrote:love your fix and build up on this thing. for a good looking trailer, they sure made some boo boos on it.
Live and learn, Ive seen the new evo and there are many changes since 2011. Even have a new trailer builder.
Might be bypass as I'm a Johnnos fan.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » October 9th, 2014, 2:57 pm

The_Mongrel wrote:Mate,

What an epic read!! So glad you posted this thread on another forum. I have an older Johnos, and now you have given me so many ideas!! :) I want to screw my pump to my tank, but am worried I will go right through! Can I ask what length screws you used?

Also - The tank level indicator is awesome!! Can I ask what one and where you go it?

I will post some pics of my camper soon.

Cheers
John
Hi John
If your tank is the same as mine then the walls are some 12mm thick.
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... ts_id=8981
The stainless screws are around 20-25mm in length and do go all the way through. The rubber cushions that the pump mounts on also acts as a bit of a compression seal but the screws are very tight in the plastic so its unlikely to ever leak.
Its certainly not something I'm worried about.
This tank is moulded to have the pump on its side. Gives it a bit of protection from rocks and stuff. Also having it on the tank reduces the suck required to prime the pump. It doesn't have to suck any air to get going.

The gauges and senders were old stock via Ebay. This is the company that makes them- http://rvelectronics.com.au/index.php?r ... ry&path=20 but its a new (prettier) range now.
I went the cheap old stock model as they are hidden in a locker so not on public display.
They are displayed at every 4x4 camping show I've been to with special show prices as well.

cheers
Malcom

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » October 9th, 2014, 3:00 pm

THE RIG wrote:love your fix and build up on this thing. for a good looking trailer, they sure made some boo boos on it.
Yeah, pretty unforgivable really. Especially as they rent the things out so would discover these issues themselves very quickly but still took ages to address the few issues that they have dealt with now.

On the plus side, if it was near perfect I might not be able to bring myself to take to it with the hacksaw etc to modify it :)

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » October 9th, 2014, 6:32 pm

The Evo's don't get rented out.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » October 10th, 2014, 4:54 pm

gqjay wrote:The Evo's don't get rented out.
Yes they do.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » October 10th, 2014, 9:54 pm

WomblingFree wrote:
gqjay wrote:The Evo's don't get rented out.
Yes they do.
thanks..

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » October 11th, 2014, 2:58 am

WomblingFree wrote:
Yeah, pretty unforgivable really. Especially as they rent the things out so would discover these issues themselves very quickly but still took ages to address the few issues that they have dealt with now.

On the plus side, if it was near perfect I might not be able to bring myself to take to it with the hacksaw etc to modify it :)

that's it, plus the changes you make suit your needs aswell.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » October 11th, 2014, 2:59 am

gqjay wrote:
Live and learn, Ive seen the new evo and there are many changes since 2011. Even have a new trailer builder.
Might be bypass as I'm a Johnnos fan.

agree completely!

Dgarlo
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Dgarlo » November 4th, 2014, 2:54 pm

sorry to bring up an old thread but it has been a good read, hope you managed to finally get everything on it

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » November 19th, 2014, 8:14 am

Dgarlo wrote:sorry to bring up an old thread but it has been a good read, hope you managed to finally get everything on it

Hi Dgarlo

Thanks for your comments.
Not an old thread. Still very much a 'work in progress' with lots more to come...

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 24th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Hi Mal I just hired one of Johnnos trailer for a trip into the Pilbara.
Noted that the battery box would fill up with water and dust due to legal reasons the box is vented...I also did not like the slide out draw we had. The tent pole would have to ride on the roof of the cruiser or they would foul the draw... :crazy: I also did not like having to go inside the tent every time I wanted something from the draw... Overall it is a tough, durable trailer that can handle the worst of it but The poor cruiser had so much weight on the back end coming from the trailer. The wheels were set back from center for some reason...maybe to fit the draw system and the spare tire is so close to the back of the vehicle in front of the tool box when I loaded the spare fuel and tool box the front wheels of the rig almost lest the ground... :purplex:

I like what your doing mate...making it your own. I can see why you spend the time. :cool:

:truck:

Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » November 24th, 2014, 10:48 pm

That design must add some serious ball weight to the vehicle (vs centralised axle). Build is looking great though WF. Nice pic MB, that 76 still looks pretty square for a car that was getting crushed:)
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

9magenta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 9magenta » January 10th, 2015, 12:34 am

I have a 2013 EVo and I need to replace the camper under bed gas struts does anyone know how many NM(newton meters) they are??

Please help me... the lid keeps dropping down :mad:

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » January 11th, 2015, 12:48 pm

9magenta wrote:I have a 2013 EVo and I need to replace the camper under bed gas struts does anyone know how many NM(newton meters) they are??

Please help me... the lid keeps dropping down :mad:

I believe they are rated at 1000Nm each. Somewhat alarming that they have failed after 2 years!

If they are stuffed then the nose cone ones are probably close to gone as well. They are rated at 600Nm but I replaced the both of them with 300Nm units which is so much easier to close but still counters the weight of the spare wheel.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”