Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
WomblingFree
Been here a while

Re: Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper

Unread post by WomblingFree » August 20th, 2014, 8:34 pm

well it sort of does that anyway as the air hits the door and can only go up.
Good ideas but at the moment I'm designing a sliding tray that will get the fridge inside over the axle and pull it out the back.
That should solve that problem or at least create new problems :)

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » August 24th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Whilst doing all the electrics, I frequently had the various locker doors off and I discovered that Johnnos took shortcuts with these as well as there is no paint between the hinges and door exterior surface so hidden surface rust was developing nicely. Off with all the doors, treated the rust and painted properly. Hopefully it's not too late and that'll fix it.

Also took off all the rubber pinch strips and cleaned up the rust under them. Water accumulates in these things and the rust takes over. After refitting, I ran a bead of silicon around the edge of the pinch strip to help prevent their filling up with muck.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » August 31st, 2014, 9:05 pm

I've fitted a Ctek 250 DC-DC battery charger into the camper. After my 100's trailer 4B&S cable upgrade, there's still an appreciable voltage drop across the cable from the aux battery under the trucks bonnet which prevents the trailer batteries from fully charging. This mod will kill that by upping the voltage and fully charging the batteries.
However the main reason for buying it is to integrate some future solar panels.
This charger is multi stage so is kind to the batteries and it automatically switches to whatever power source (solar, alternator) is best suited at the time. That will save me having to pull the batteries out during extended periods of trailer inactivity.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 8th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Johnnos fit a tray/shelf thing into one of the front lockers. This is meant to hold a Coleman Instant Hot Water system which is held down to the tray by a couple of webbing straps that can't be tensioned very well.
Forgot to take a pic of the heater & tray as Johnnos fitted them, so this pic is borrowed from the Johnnos website-

The rivets that retain the straps are aluminium into the steel tray. Unsurprisingly they have corroded and a few have had to be replaced as the were completely eaten away. We haven't even used the heater so there hasn't been any water to make it worse, simply a case of bodgy workmanship or a complete lack of basic metallurgy knowledge by the fabricator.

We have a Glind engine heat exchanger in the tug which we use for camping showers so the Coleman gas heater is somewhat useless to us. If we should ever need it, the heater can always be carried in the nose storage locker.
I sent several emails to Johnnos asking if their intention was to run the Coleman heater whilst mounted/sitting on the shelf or remove it and use it on the ground - they never bothered to answer but due to the angled top part of the locker door, I reckon the paint would be quickly damaged by the heaters exhaust so with that being the last nail in the heaters coffin, I decided to chop out the tray and turn the locker into a storage area for another 4.5Kg gas bottle.
Johnnos only provide storage for one 4.5Kg bottle in the Evo and that's completely inadequate for outback travel so this is a good solution for us. Up till now, we've carried a second bottle in the nose storage but, as the locker is aluminium, it wasn't secured so could bounce around.

The tray was chopped off the door, all damage made good and the door repainted.
I then fitted a 4.5Kg gas bottle clamping ring.

Damn, the bottle just fouls the top of the locker when removing it...
I've had to cut the clamp arms off the ring and welded in a hinge either side which allows the clamp arms to completely open outwards. That allows us to remove the bottle straight out the front of the ring rather than lifting upwards.
Also had to grind off the feet, turn the ring upside down and weld them back on so the ring now clamps from left to right rather than right to left which didn't allow the bottle to be easily removed either.
Also fitted a brace to the rings rear which is bolted into the front wall to prevent any flex from trailer bounce.
A bit of plastic on the floor prevents scratches from the bottles base. Beer O'clock
Last edited by WomblingFree on January 2nd, 2016, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » September 8th, 2014, 4:17 pm

What year model is the evo?

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 8th, 2014, 4:38 pm

gqjay wrote:What year model is the evo?

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Re: Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 14th, 2014, 6:53 pm

This weekend, I fitted a socket for solar cabling back to the Ctek charger. I found a 'TrailerVision' panel mount Anderson socket on Ebay and mounted that by the rightside front locker that is always outside of the tent.
That keeps the solar panel cable away from the battery box which is effectively inside the tent so would be a pain to plug into. The panels then connect via 2 x 6 meter cables to the panel socket.

Last edited by WomblingFree on January 2nd, 2016, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 23rd, 2014, 3:02 pm

I found out that OzHitch have upgraded their hitch design due to someone using load levellers and ripping their hitch apart.
The new design has the fork shaft screwed and welded into the 'U' section whereas previously it was just welded.
Got myself a replacement fork plus all the bushes etc and swapped it all out. Ozhitch has recently changed hands and the new owners in SA are extremely helpful and very nice people. Highly recommended!

This pic shows the two forks side by side. The new one is silver.

The yoke has changed quite a bit. Now a bent strap rather than the old casting. No sharp corners so it may be stronger. The main bar now threads into the fork before being welded in place.

The retaining nut has been changed to a nylock plus a grub-screw. Think I preferred the old castellated nut with a split pin - what do you think?

Even the pivot coupling has had a bit of a change.
Bit hard to see, but the plastic bushes have also been re-profiled which should allow the coupling to drop into the carrier even easier than it already was.
Happy camper now...

XerRoo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by XerRoo » September 27th, 2014, 11:12 am

Malcom,

Epic story, very helpful and well worth the read.
Thanks for sharing.
Geoff.
PS. I like nylocks but I'd prefer the castle nut with the split pin because grub screws can be difficult to get back out when it all goes pear shaped.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 29th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Thanks Geoff

I think I'll be drilling the shaft to take a split pin and put the castle back on.
I'm concerned about the grub screw rusting in place and it all becoming a permanent fitting. The plastic bushes do wear eventually so this would be rather bad.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » September 29th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Doing a great job... Makes me wonder what you will do with yourself once you finish this lil gem off... :D

:truck: :thumb:
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 30th, 2014, 3:30 pm

monkeybucket wrote:Doing a great job... Makes me wonder what you will do with yourself once you finish this lil gem off... :D

:truck: :thumb:
Thanks.
Not sure it'll ever be finished :) still have quite a hit list of improvemenst to make.
plus there's the tug mods as well. Sure would like to retire and use the toys...

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » October 5th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Fitted a 1.5Kg fire extinguisher into the forward locker. It folds in quite nicely next to the new gas bottle in its holder.

Had to make up a strengthening bracket to support the extinguishers mounting clip. The campers a true off roader and I wasn't at all certain the factory bracket would survive any sort of corrugations.
I've left room for a velcro strap should it loosen up but that will slow down is extraction if there's a fire.
ImageImage

Found some usefull stickers on Ebay. The fire extinguisher one glows in the dark.
Image[img]

The_Mongrel
Getting to know the place

Unread post by The_Mongrel » October 8th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Mate,

What an epic read!! So glad you posted this thread on another forum. I have an older Johnos, and now you have given me so many ideas!! :) I want to screw my pump to my tank, but am worried I will go right through! Can I ask what length screws you used?

Also - The tank level indicator is awesome!! Can I ask what one and where you go it?

I will post some pics of my camper soon.

Cheers
John

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » October 8th, 2014, 11:18 pm

love your fix and build up on this thing. for a good looking trailer, they sure made some boo boos on it.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”