Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
WomblingFree
Been here a while

Re: Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper

Unread post by WomblingFree » November 12th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Couldn't contain myself and completely removed the spice rack so I could rip out one of its shelves.
We found that not too many things could be stored in the bottom two rows as there isn't enough height to stand anything up. Removing one of the middle shelves made the rack a lot more usable for us and fits a lot more containers.

Here's what they look like normally -

A bit of stainless polishing and this is how it is now -
Last edited by WomblingFree on June 16th, 2014, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » November 18th, 2013, 4:53 am

More spice rack fixes.
This one deals with the mesh cover that wraps around the rack for content containment whilst driving.

As supplied, it only had only a few millimetres of contact between the velcro retaining straps. You can see the length of the velcro in these pics but look how little of it actually connects. Not really adequate...

Initially I hit the straps with a heat gun so as to stretch them but that didn't add anywhere near enough length so off it all came and my clever wife took too it with the sewing machine. She butted up another length of the mesh and re-sewed the velcro so as to reinforce the mesh strap join. A bit of the mesh has no velcro so as to form a handle for ripping it apart.

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » November 25th, 2013, 6:06 pm

nice and neat mods there mate

Cheers
Nick
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 28th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Problem solver... Great ideas
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » December 2nd, 2013, 9:31 am

Thanks guys...

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » December 2nd, 2013, 4:18 pm

Pouring with rain this weekend so didn't achieve much.
Fitted a couple of little spirit levels to the draw bar for levelling. These are magnetic but I've also glued them down with a bit of Sikaflex as well. Don't know if they'll survive the outback roads but I've bought 4 spares just in case...

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » December 2nd, 2013, 8:33 pm

Hi WomblingFree
Don't like your chances of your level saying there . I gave up with putting it on the drawbar , mine got smashed off 1st outback trip , tried again smashed off on forest tracks.
If it's a magnetic just store it inside a nearby storage box & put it on your drawbar when needed.
Cheers TLC60S

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » December 12th, 2013, 4:41 am

Yeah, I'm not expecting much from them really. Their magnets aren't all that powerful hence the Sikaflex to help keep them down.
Actually, I usually use my mobile phone with a bubble level app running. Works a treat

Eddy

Unread post by Eddy » February 12th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Nice lookin project.
Gotta suggestion for ya. All those wing nuts... rather than loctite, which only has the thread to lock onto, as it won't hold on the nylon board.
Drill holes in the wings, and run a piece of light wire, or nylon cord or cable ties through them. Makes it easy to gettem undone, but the most they can move whilst being all shook up is less than a quarter turn.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » February 14th, 2014, 6:21 am

Hmmm... not a bad idea Eddy. Getting the hands in to thread it up would be a bugger but then its only going to happen once every couple of years or so.

Thanks

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » February 26th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Been neglecting this thread due to fitting out our latest toy. Landcruiser 100 series which we are kitting out for touring.

Anyway...

We noticed that the trailer hand brake was pretty ineffective so I decided to check it all out.
First thing I noticed is that Johnnos route the hand brake lever cable to the hubs in such a way so that the cable is constantly rubbing on the suspension leaf packs. It does this regardless of whether or not the brake lever is applied.

The brake cable was 6mm galvanised steel and has absolutely no flex in it. I've replaced with a 4mm cable so I can get a bit of stretch into the brake lever ratchet action.
I've ground off the last bolt hole in the lever arm so as to increase ground clearance for when dragging the trailer over the ground by winch etc. A future project is add a drag/skid plate to this area.

My attention now turned to the hubs and brakes themselves. I had to do this anyway so as to check the grease in the wheel bearings.
Well no wonder the brakes don't work too well. These are Chinese hubs and there is so much play in the actuating lever axle that the shoes can slide up the lever and chew it out. Simply put, you cannot apply the handbrake any more.

This should be nice and rectangular but its all bent-

I tracked down the hubs importer, Active Fabrications, in QLD and they where appropriately shocked considering the trailer has only travelled a few thou Km's. After seeing these photos, they very kindly sent me a new set of levers and actuator axles free of charge. This still left me with the sloppy axle fit but a couple of stainless washers fitted as shims sorted that out and now they work nicely. There was no determinable wear on the brake shoes so they were just cleaned and left in place.
Here's the washer I shimmed the actuator axle with

I replaced the plastic cable ties around the axle with stainless steel ones. I was concerned that a flying rock could cut a plastic tie and leave the brakes electric cable flapping around and this in turn could be destroyed by more rocks rendering the trailer brake-less. Stainless cable ties are about $10 for ten on Ebay so that's a nice cheap improvement.

I haven't found a good answer to the handbrake cable routing yet. Moving the cable away from the leaf pack puts the angle of the cable at the actuating lever under a rather tight angle and I'm worried that applying the hand brake could rip the lever off the drums.
For now, I'll live with it. It's only really a problem when the brake is applied and there's no suspension movement then so hopefully little wear. Regular checks of the cable will tell if I need to do anything more.

Pretty poor effort in a 'top of the line' camper Mr Johnno!

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » February 26th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Hi WomblingFree
An idea for rerouting the handbrake cable could be welding a half piece of chain link with the cable running through it placed where it would pull the cable away from the suspension.
Cheers TLC60S

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » March 3rd, 2014, 6:39 am

yeah, thats what I first thought but the cable angle required to clear the suspension means that you might just pull the lever completly off of the brake drum. It would be getting close to 45 degrees sideways pull which I am not happy with.
Last edited by WomblingFree on June 16th, 2014, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 3rd, 2014, 7:58 pm

Hi WomblingFree
If the angle is too much with a one cable pull then another idea could be go to the wreckers & look under older model cars that was using two cables with a lever bracket to apply the hand brake . You might get some ideas how to do your trailer & maybe able to use some of the parts.
Cheers TLC60S

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » March 3rd, 2014, 11:37 pm

pretty sure that cable is supposed to be on the other side of the leaf pack...might be an assembly error...the ones I looked at had it on the other side... ;)
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Return to “My Camper Trailer”