Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Timmo
Need to get out more

Re: Our Johnno's Evolution soft floor camper build & mods

Unread post by Timmo » January 11th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Hi mate, nice work on the mods to your trailer. Shame you had to do it though.

Question for you regarding your suspension. Where did you get your shock mounts from? The ones circled in red below.
shocks1_64.jpg
I had a custom trailer built and I want to relocate my lower shock mounts a fraction lower (they are currently welded to the axle) to prevent the shock from bottoming out.

Any info would be much appreciated mate.

Keep up the good work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Nathan

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » January 12th, 2015, 5:40 am

I think they were from a company CoupleMate but their website seems to have dissapeared.
Lots of trailer companies have them though. These are the same.
http://www.probar.net.au/shop/index.php ... ts_id=1077

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 12th, 2015, 7:19 am

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

All the ones I have seen so far seemed to be a touch too small. They look like they'll do the trick.
Cheers,

Nathan

9magenta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 9magenta » January 21st, 2015, 1:10 am

So I replaced the gas struts with 1100nm and yep that fixed it !!!

Thanks

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » March 12th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Finally got around to dealing with the negligent brake cable routing that results in big time brake cable abrasion. See viewtopic.php?f=134&t=147198&start=30#p1765102

This pic shows the brake cable running from the drum up the outside of the chassis rail (bit of black cord) and the factory cable run that fouls the suspension leaves.

I welded the end of an eye bolt to the outside of the chassis rail and re-ran the cable through this. Result is zero cable rub.
Used an eye bolt as the bolt loop holds the brake cable under the chassis rail and prevents it rubbing on the paint or galvanising. Might be susceptible to rocks but time will tell.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » March 25th, 2015, 4:41 pm

This ones been a while in the planning.
We have some large solar panels that normally live in the nose cone locker but I've always been concerned about this as corrugations or badly packed gear could easily see the panel glass cracked. All in all, the nose cone is a poor place to store solar panels.

There is a space above the fridge slide drawer that is useless as the fridge must slide in & out so you can't really access that space. However that space is pretty much the exact size of our panels.

I've fabricated up a shelf that straddles the fridge drawer.

This shelf has just enough space to hold the panels in their protective bag plus about 4mm. The shelf size fits perfectly between the bed base ribs plus a bit if room for the gas strut to fold down nicely.

Here's the shelf welded in place with the fridge loaded. Not much clearance but its the same gap as exists in the lockers side door opening.

All finished and solar panels loaded. Very happy with the result.

9magenta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 9magenta » November 30th, 2015, 9:33 pm

So I own a johhnos camper evolution and we have the fly wire annex walls and after a few cool nights we decided we wanted the full canvas walls. Well Johnnos want .... $1800 :lol: for them

So we went on ebay bought the same canvas ( 15 meters for $127)and we are currently doing some solid canvas walls to go on the fly wire walls with velcro on each side and stiched at the top. I will post some pics when they are done!!!!

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » December 14th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Yeah they want a lot of money for pretty ordinary stuff.
Don't make the whole thing in one piece as its quite heavy and cumbersome to hang.
It's 3 pieces from memory, 1st covers the kitchen end to about 3/4 of the way across the back wall, 2nd is the doorway insert and 3rd wraps around the other corner and takes in the side wall.
If you haven't seen one in the flesh then take note that there is a foot area that lies flat (ish) on the ground. This gives you some ground hugging capability plus helps prevent crawly things getting under. Doesn't do diddly for insects,etc but sure as hell upsets Goannas :)
You can see it in these pics viewtopic.php?f=134&t=147198&start=45#p1776737

Would love to see a thread with your mods :)

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » December 22nd, 2015, 2:34 pm

Been a while but I haven't lost interest in the camper. More mods and changes are in the offing.

Had some interesting night driving along the main roads out at Richmond, west of Sydney, where a few drivers failed to notice the trailer and almost side swiped it. You could accept one unobservant driver but 4 in the same area had me concerned about night visibility.
The Evo tail lights are recessed into a steel shroud so as to avoid reversal damage but this shroud also does a very good job of shielding any light from being seen at the trailer sides.

The factory Evo has some rather useless white side lights that are switched on from inside the front lockers. The objective is to provide side ground illumination when you are parked up but as they are rather pathetic for outdoor illumination, we've not used them once. Besides we have spot lights on the truck & torches etc anyway.
The two lights on the left hand side are supposed to shine through transparent windows in the tent tub when its set up but there is dedicated internal tent lighting anyway so, again, completely useless.
Anyway, these lights have now been sacrificed and replaced with red/orange side markers such as you see on trucks. A lot of searching turned up the same Chinese units as Johnnos use but with the orange & red LEDs which meant I could leave the existing bases in place and just change the guts. Altering the light functionality meant pulling out a lot of cabling, switches etc and re-wiring the side lights to the tail light circuit but the reward was well worth the effort. You'd have to be well asleep at the wheel not to see the trailer at night now.

You can see how well the shroud protects the tail lights.

and how little light is shown out the side of the tail lights. Yes the lights are on.

One of the side locker switches beside the fridge.

I thought I had caught all the dodgy Johnnos wiring but these slipped by me. Wonderful bit of 'off road' resistant hole sleeving there. Easiest solution is to sleeve the cable in plastic tubing so as to avoid sharp metal cutting through and blowing the truck fuses.
Who was it who came up with the rubbish line about 'you get what you pay for'.

All finished. 'Proper job' as they say.

9magenta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 9magenta » January 30th, 2016, 5:52 pm

So these are the camper walls we made

IMG_5468 (1).jpg
IMG_5468 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9magenta
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 9magenta » January 30th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Also have a door the same style, they worked very well cost me $127 for the canvas on ebay and velco was $50

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » February 2nd, 2016, 6:05 am

Very nicely done. Looks like the factory units :)

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » February 2nd, 2016, 4:37 pm

Here's a couple of shots of the sidelights at night-

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » February 7th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Managed to get the trailer a bit stuck requiring it to be pulled out backwards.
Imagine how thrilled I was to find yet another Johnnos bodge. The hitch receiver has a welding seam running inside the length of the hitch tube. This is part of the tube manufacturing process but Johnnos should either have ground the seam flat or bought tube that does not have the seam weld.
Makes it impossible to fit a recovery point, bicycle carrier or indeed anything useful. Guess they include the hitch for bling. Idiots!
Fixing this required dropping a water tank so as to get at the rear of the hitch tube. Had to buy a flexible shaft for the Dremel so I could run a grinding stone up inside the tube.
Having had a good look under here with future recoveries in mind, I'm not at all sure the the rear framework could handle a pull from this point anyway so it might have been a good thing that the recovery hitch wouldn't fit.
Will be strengthening this up in the future.

These two pics show the seam-

These two show the chassis area holding the hitch receiver. The bolts hold the rear water tank.
All I can do is run diagonal bracing from the hitch back to the side rails over the top of the water tank. One day...

Eventyr
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Eventyr » February 22nd, 2016, 1:14 am

WomblingFree, I've just joined, and wow, what a fantastic read. The quality, or lack thereof in the Johnson trailer build is extraordinary! You have given me a great checklist of things to look for when looking at camper trailers! Thank you!

I also think I'm gonna need to learn how to weld stuff!
What do I write here? Something funny I guess...

Return to “My Camper Trailer”