My Offroad Trailer Build / Family Camp Transporter

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: My Offroad Trailer Build / Family Camp Transporter

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Assembly of the tub support/mount. I gave the steel supplier a cutting list and they did the rest, I only had to weld the parts together.

Hitch plate work...

This is as far as I have gotten up to now. Running gear is the next step...
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 18th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Picked up the trailer poly tub on Friday...

Still deciding on the water tank...

Cheers
Chris.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » August 20th, 2013, 5:08 pm

What about using the hollow inside of the tub as the water tank, it is poly after all ? or does the tub to chassis mounts go through it .Might be a bit to much weight if usable .
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 21st, 2013, 9:55 pm

Hay there edz...

Wouldn't be a bad idea, there would be about 300 litres of space in there. The wiring runs through the cavity but if I could Isolate the front of the trailer could make it a 70 litr tank...

Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 19th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Have come to a decision and canned the Hilux springs and gone with Martins Kit.

I have no excuses left now so its get on with it from here. :wink:

Mechanical disc brakes on 5 stud landcruiser hubs... HD axle 50mm axle on 1200kg leaf springs. This will get it rolling behind a polyblock coupling with brake override + handbrake.

A pick of the new gear.

Cheers all for the great feedback it was all taken into consideration but due to a stubborn bone I was born with I have tried to do things the hard way. Now after all this time have swung round to purchasing some standard gear seeing that if I have any problems with it I can get parts anywhere easily.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 20th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Here we go...was out at the Telethon gig at Whiteman park this morning for my niece's 8th bday...had a ball plenty to do for the kids...

Managed to put in some time on the trailer this arvo welding mounts together and mounting springs, axles and hubs... Cheers again to Martins trailer part for pressing the bearings for nothing. :cool:

Found out I may need to get a wider axle (71inch) due to the size of tire I am running. The 285s will rub on the tub with current axle width (68inch)and I am not keen on getting a pile of new rims seeing there are 8 in my shed at the moment. :crazy:

Here is how it looked today...

Hope to have it all together (minus the brake mounts and cable) by next weekend. Hope to take it for a test run to see how it goes. Need to chat to the licensing mob for some info... :sillywink:
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 21st, 2013, 10:40 pm

Wider axle installed and lifted the poly tub up on its mounts today... I love it... Still some paint and options to add to the basic design but everything went together just great.

This is how it looks when mounted...

Needs water tank on the back under tub and spare wheel on the front between 2 jerry can holders...
Cheers
Chris.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » October 31st, 2013, 8:44 am

edz wrote:What about using the hollow inside of the tub as the water tank, it is poly after all ? or does the tub to chassis mounts go through it .Might be a bit to much weight if usable .
Nice idea but-
1/ You'd get some large weight transfers under braking/acceleration with all that water sloshing front to back. You'd need some sort of baffling to slow down the surge.
2/ Also the tub is unlikely to be rated for the added pressure of the water trying to explode the tub.
3/ When full, it'd put your centre of gravity quite high which could be bad if playing off road.

I have two underslung tanks in my Johnnos camper. The plastic is 12mm thick on them so pretty much puncture proof. Can't remember the name but I'll dig it up if you are interested. Ozzie made and great service with pump parts etc.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » October 31st, 2013, 8:46 am

monkeybucket wrote: spare wheel on the front between 2 jerry can holders...

why not put the spare on the rear and get some weight off the tow bar?

Prado 150
Here and there

Unread post by Prado 150 » October 31st, 2013, 9:39 pm

monkey bucket just wondering is the rear spring arm is to much on a lean at the rear?? i had issue with my years ago hit a bump spring arm went back and never retuned had to get a cold chisel and pop between the spring and chassi it back after that issue i had to make longer arms and had no issue at all

cheers
Prado 150

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 1st, 2013, 9:27 pm

Cheers Womble... Was thinking about putting the spare under in front of the axle...the trailer has huge clearance which brings me to Prado150s question...
Yes the rear shackles have been fully flattened against the chassis before... they went on as a quick fix due to my other trailer giving up... I have had a problem with the trailer springs being slightly lesser profile to the hilux leaf springs so the trailer hasn't been riding at the height it was built to sit at. I have now got 50 x 10mm shackles that are 50mm longer that have sorted out this problem. The shackles now sit at about 10 degrees back from perpendicular rather than the settled original 45 degrees I ended up with due to poor decision making on my behalf. :urgh:

I am taking the trailer out in the bush for a test run this weekend...will post pics when we get back. :thumb:

In the future I would install the shackles so as they sit perpendicular as the springs settle and in this case left me with a locked up spring. :redface:

Next...Braking papers and Identification plate stamped...
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 4th, 2013, 11:19 am

Took the trailer out for a test ride into the bush this weekend... After some info gathering I just need to move the Chain up to the side of the chassis and mount the side markers to be legal on road.

Here are some pics of it so far. The box has been bolted to a 40x40 angle that runs between the draw bars.

I am still deciding on water tank...most likely a 85L slim line...Due to the height of the trailer only the GIC CT tents seem to be suitable for mounting for a camper trailer conversion.
Cheers
Chris.

Prado 150
Here and there

Unread post by Prado 150 » November 4th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Monkeybucket is it worth shorten the chain ??? but besides how to behind the toyota ??

Cheers Prado150

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 5th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Gotta chuck two chains on and move them up from the bottom...can't have chain mounted in any spot that may hit the ground...it tows great behind the tojo...usual knocks and donks from the style of towbar bits. Love it except for the plowing motion when dropping off steep edges...
Cheers
Chris.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » November 6th, 2013, 12:53 am

Hi monkeybucket
The trailer looks tuff sitting behind your 4wd in the bush & is that camp spot your at is that the Avon River where the Avon Decent is held.
What ever water tank you decide on make sure you can get access to the inside so you can clean it out properly if you are going to use it for drinking or cooking water.
Keep up the good work on the trailer mate.
Cheers TLC60S

Return to “My Camper Trailer”