My Offroad Trailer Build / Family Camp Transporter

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

My Offroad Trailer Build / Family Camp Transporter

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 28th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Well I have Ummed and Ahhed over all the things I want to get done in the next year and one of them is to get a Heavy duty trailer built to tow behind the 76er. Looking around the cheapest heavy duty factory built rig with all the basics on it is going to set me back around $3500.
Setting this as my budget I am pretty confident I can build something pretty sweet within this price cap.
I picked up some Galvinized 3.5mm thick 75x75 SHS I found while poking around a local salvage yard the other day for just under $8/meter. Was pretty happy as the ends had been welded shut already. This will get the chassis built.
Last week I spoke to the crew at Welshpool ARB and they where able to help me out with a set of 2013 Hilux Rear leaf springs with the shackle, bushes and shox thrown in. Cost me $50.
This is going to be a slow build as I only get a hand full of spare hours each week.

Some pics of the progress.

Basic chassis with the springs mocked up. Am looking at moving the wheel centers back further than they seem here.

Shackles bushes and the new anti vibration gismo that comes on the 2013 leaves. I will be looking at finding some wrecked parts to remove the mounts I need. Otherwise steel will be laser cut and turned if required.

Spent the day adjusting the draw bar for the ride height so the trailer sits flat when being towed.

I will be welding cleats to the underside of any welded joints to increase their tensile strength.

Chassis so far. Still a long way to go. :cool:

Last edited by monkeybucket on July 27th, 2013, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: My Offroad Trailer Build

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 29th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Tossing up whether to go full steel or have a Polycarbonate tub tray.
I found these, just waiting for info from them.

Cheers
Chris.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 29th, 2013, 5:54 pm

If that polycarbonate tray is tuff & light, you could be onto a good thing!! Solid chassis, good suspension, enough weight in the tub & load to make the suspension work (might want to be a bit careful with shocks & leaf springs under a light tray...) and you could have pretty close to the ultimate off road trailer!! Are you putting a camper or canopy on the tub to keep all your gear dry and make up a camp site?? Probably not going to be quite so 'heavy duty' as an equivalent chequer plate tub, but it'll be a helluva lot lighter won't it?! And if it's as indestructible as the canoes, kayaks, and boats made out of the stuff, even water tanks and bull bars come in that stuff these days, then it should be pretty good in the bush, bit of flex, and if you bend anything, just park it in the sun for a few hours and voila! No more dents! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 29th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Thanks Pete...there are plans to get a top put on the tub whether it be Poly or steel. We have a full tent setup at the moment and with news of a new member to the family due in January 2014 I am planning some more space for gear.
Yes...I am looking at taking a leaf out of the springs but I am sure there will be plenty of weight in the trailer to sort it out. It needs to be versatile meaning it will be used for work and play.

Cheers
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » June 1st, 2013, 4:32 pm

Sorted out some More specs for the glorified wheelbarrow.

68inch 50mmsq axle.
5x150PCD hubs to suit Landcruiser rims
65x35 Duragal framework to sit on the 75x75 chassis

7x4 Polymate Trailer tub (wired)

Looking at an ALKO hitch to suit 50mm towball, but still looking around and compiling info.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » June 2nd, 2013, 8:04 pm

Added more strength to the draw bar...

Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » July 6th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Been working long hours and getting ready to head out to the Murchison river for Malz 4wd Adventure Challenge so not much getting done in the shed on the trailer. Hope to get in the shed Sunday. :-\

But bits n pieces wise...

Looking into a water tank for behind the beam axle mounting. The 85L I am looking at seem to sit down 135mm from its mounting face. This should make it 100mm below the SHS chassis. Just looking around for fittings for the outlets and inlets. Looking at a lockable filler cap to start with.

Pic from site...

Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris.

kevinmealing60
Been here a while

Unread post by kevinmealing60 » July 7th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Just a quick note on those alko 50mm ball offroad hitchs, is that upon turning they are so wide that they foul on most towbar tongues, i had to extend mine to make it work, but other than that it seems to be very good quality and works well so far,but i havent had the hitch to its extremes as im still finishing the trailer.
85 60series 315/75r16 MT mtz on 16x10 sunnys
12h-t, front mount intercooled, 16 PSI boost, 93rwkw
beaudesert 3" mandrel bent, 3"suspension custom leaf packs,
superior extended shackles, air on board system.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » July 9th, 2013, 4:37 pm

What load rating do you want your trailer to be?? I am in the process of upgrading my 8x5 box trailer from 750kg to 1000kg and have HiLux rear springs from a 11MY diesel. I asked a question on the HiLux Forum as to the actual load rating of the HiLux springs and no one knew. Now the HiLux has a load carrying capacity of 100okg on paper but really how long could a HiLux carry 1000kg before having issues - likewise in a ute some of the weight is carried by the front springs and the same also applies to a trailer where the a proportion of the load is through the tow ball. No one was able to satisfy me of the load rating of the springs so I have gone for 1000kg trailer springs at only about $80 each.

Now the HiLux springs maybe fine - all I am suggesting is that you need to satisfy yourself they have the required load rating - for a trailer they are very flat as well so the axle will have to be underslung.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » July 12th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Cheers For the input peeps... Will take all this on board. :thumb: Gives me more to think about. Construction has come to a stand still thanks to some long hours and a bout of Acute Enterocolitis which has had me out of action for 3 days now. :whyme:

Hilux GVM is around 2700kg and I would be guessing that most of this weight is up front say 65% / 35%

So a quick calc... 0.35 of 2700kg be around 945kgs. Educated guess... the leaves will carry a constant 400kg each. Keep in Mind I rounded down twice and believe they would be closer to 500kg springs.

I am looking at keeping the Agg weight below 750kg. The trailer itself empty with a bit of careful consideration, spare tires and water tank will come close to 350kgs. I am not keen on towing a lot of heavy gear behind me in the trailer. It will be more of an overflow storage area for when the next child arrives in January. We like to travel light and basic. There are sooo many gizmos out there trying to steer off the straight and narrow. :crazy:

One day the left over 300kg pay load will most likely get chopped down to 150kg by strapping a camper tent to the top but that's a long way off. Just building the tow to take some unforgiving punishment for now.

Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » July 15th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Your logic is certainly sound - I was looking at the chassis you were building and was think substantially higher GVW. My light weight large box trailer weighs in at 350kgs so I think your finished product a tad more than 350kgs. Seems like a lot of work and strength in the chassis for just a couple of hundred kgs.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » July 16th, 2013, 12:01 am

Cheers Mate

Just making it unbreakable like the suspension that I'm strapping to it. :D

Thanks
Chris
Cheers
Chris.

Gonnago
Here and there

Unread post by Gonnago » July 22nd, 2013, 6:27 pm

Any progress?
Mods to do - diesel pre filter, ironman snorkel, dual battery's
Mods done - Scangauge II, Oil-air separator setup, K&N filter, 3in SS Manta Pro turbo back exhaust, ECU crispmods tune, EGT gauge, eBay intercooler,

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 22nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

Looking good so far. Lots of work!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » July 27th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Sorry Peeps,
Very slow at the moment. I have ordered the Polymate tub and am looking into picking up the axle, hubs etc some time in the next month. Organizing the suspension parts is going to be a bit of a mission due to me going with a cheap set of leaf springs off a 2013 Hilux. Need to get some tube machined up to mount the bushed shackles and flat plate to be cut and bent to mount the other end. Still toying with the design to mount the hitch.

Off to pick up the steel for mounting the tub today. Might get it all cut and welded this arvo if I am lucky.

Need this made up for me...

and 2 steel tubes machined with 30mm internal diameter 6mm thick and 90mm long to mount the shackles.

Might get it rolling around October :crazy:

Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”