2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: 2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:29 pm

This was the weekend that KT was getting tarted up. The story is below with some slightly random pics.

I would like to first of all thank Chris and Laith for all the time and effort they put into the wombat clan camper. Me and my family appreciate the hard work and resources that have been put into the camper over the weekend. You guys know if there is anything you ever need or help that I can give just give me a hoy.

Anyway back to KT

First thing was to run power through drawbar, into trailer tub and back to the battery and up into the tent.

2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Here’s some pics of the battery box’n’stuff

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:31 pm

More of the battery box – before it was secured

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Here is the LED light. We have one hardwired into the vertical hoop of the tent. The other one is on a long lead with a CIG plug on the end so we can use it outside wherever we need. Both of them have inline switches

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Here are some pics of the original work on KT – not performed to a standard that Chris was happy with so we had to re-do the electric brake wiring

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:33 pm

And here is the work Chris did on the front of the trailer – ooooohhhhhh yellow!

Here is a pic of the workshop

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 25th, 2013, 7:34 pm

I have little to know towing experience but what do you guys think of this set up for the chains??? I put them across like that just to have a look as just hanging at full length they were a tad low and neither the shap hooks or D shackles would go through a link in the chain which wasn’t then end one.

Also does anyone have any issues with the use of the snap hooks? They are stamped and rated at 450lbs each. None of the D shackles at Bunnings were rated and the 10mm steel of the snap hook looked more substantial than the largest D shackle that would fit in the chain

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I don't think it's a bad idea to cross the chains over the hitch like that, by doing it that way you will usually stop the drawbar digging into the road/track surface if the hitch does come undone for any reason, and that is a good thing if you want to be able to continue on your way once you've fixed the hitch!! Plus it keeps the chains from dragging on the ground and getting the lowest few links scarred & ground down over time, making them a weak spot - but you do need to make sure that there is enough length in your chains that they don't get pulled taut on any turns and yet are short enough to keep the drawbar clear of the ground if things do drop off! And if they do that but are still too long, it can mean the trailer swings forwards and hits whatever is under the rear of the vehicle just in front of the towbar too - so you've gotta be pretty picky when it comes to setting the chain length.

As for the snap hooks, I don't reckon 450lbs is enough - you should be able to get small rated shackles, even the tiny rated shackles that will fit that chain are rated with a WLL of 0.75tonnes; the shackles/snap hooks shouldn't really be the weak spot in the rigging securing the trailer. Atm you've got gear that is rated to a total of 900lbs holding the trailer onto the tow vehicle as your 'safety measures', and I bet your trailer weighs in at more than that when it's loaded!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 26th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Thnaks for the info Pete.
I have already dumped the snaphooks for D-shackles. I'm looking at finding some proper rated ones that will fit through the yellow link

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 26th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Got any rigging or lifting places nearby? Or a marine supplies shop? The local AutoPro near here carries a good range of rated shackles, but maybe that's cos there's some fella who lives nearby who keeps on sending 4WD'ers down to them to get them to order in the stuff that 4WD'ers need to do the job properly rather than just accepting the stuff they happen to have on the shelves?! Still, if it's not on the shelf, it never hurts to ask; you might be surprised at what your local blokes can get you, altho maybe you might need to ask someone other than Bunnings! :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Prado 150
Here and there

Unread post by Prado 150 » August 26th, 2013, 8:10 pm

if you can't fit a rate bow shakel through the chain opening use two rated bow shakels together

Cheers prado 150
Ian

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 26th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Pete - I went to Bunnings as it was open. I never talk to anyone there cos they normally don't know jack. I have a friend who has a mate in the rigging game and he is checking some options out for me

Ian - the links in the chain are too small for a rated bow shackle. Otherwise that would be a good option

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 13th, 2013, 7:28 am

No Fn Idea wrote: I Decided not to worry about the two trap doors for access as I can always send the kids in to retrieve stuff

Hahaha exactly what we wound up doing. Much better that having all the bed stuff sliding off. Found that the tub plus contents wasn't that good at drowning out expressions of complaint from within :)

Malcom

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 13th, 2013, 7:55 am

No Fn Idea wrote:I have little to know towing experience but what do you guys think of this set up for the chains??? I put them across like that just to have a look as just hanging at full length they were a tad low and neither the shap hooks or D shackles would go through a link in the chain which wasn’t then end one.

Also does anyone have any issues with the use of the snap hooks? They are stamped and rated at 450lbs each. None of the D shackles at Bunnings were rated and the 10mm steel of the snap hook looked more substantial than the largest D shackle that would fit in the chain

whoa Nick!!!

450lbs is only 200Kg. That would straighten itself out and become a flying projectile. Don't do it. get some rated shackles. I have 4.5 tonne shackles on mine. My trailer is 850Kg empty so may well be 1.5 tonne loaded. Heaps on Ebay if no where else.

Double chains should always cross over under the hitch. Left goes to right, right to left. That way you don't get a chain bind when jack knifing the trailer.
Chains must hang loose. The chain is rated for pull and not shear. Crossing over obstacles like the hitch would reduce its rating and it might fail shortly after the hitch does and good bye trailer...
Malcom

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » September 14th, 2013, 10:15 am

Nick
Heres a pic of one of my 1.5 tonne rated shackles on the chain.
Not that big really.

Malcom

Return to “My Camper Trailer”