2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Prado 150
Here and there

Re: 2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Unread post by Prado 150 » February 17th, 2014, 7:24 pm

get a genuine AL-KO TREG HITCH they comply with AUS std and sell the old one

Cheers Prado 150

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » February 18th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Dunno that I can sell the one that is on it - feels a bit wrong to me.
I may give it to a mate on a farm for his farm trailer but I don't want the coupling on the road

We shall wait and see
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

Prado 150
Here and there

Unread post by Prado 150 » February 19th, 2014, 9:05 pm

I wound how many GIC camper have the same issue like you Treg that doesn't comply

Cheers Prado 150

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » February 24th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Have a look at a McHitch, in my opinion the best value for money. I've never used one but I did a fair bit of research a while back and this one came up best. For me anyway. :)

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » February 25th, 2014, 8:31 pm

I got a response from my manufacturer. It's not what I was expecting but overall I am pretty darn happy with the result. I would like to tell you all what it was, or who the manufacturer is, but I can't. ???

Overall I feel great that the manufacturer addressed my issue to my satisfaction. That seems to be a level of satisfaction that is not often realised in after sales service........sooooooo YAY for me!! ;D

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » February 27th, 2014, 10:54 pm

If it's good news I can't see why ya couldn't share the details..... :)

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » March 9th, 2014, 7:23 pm

New hitch is on

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 9th, 2014, 7:59 pm

I'd be looking at adding (bolting on maybe) something to protect those gaping holes in the front of your 'A' frame under the hitch (hitch looks good btw!) Leaving those spars open will mean they fill with crap & water/rain, stones, mud, etc as you drive along, & if you ever drive thru anything deep &/or goopy enough, and it really isn't hard to bend up a say 8mm thick 'skid plate' that you can then bolt on to the underside of the 'A' frame spars (so you can remove it if you ever need to take the bolts for the hitch out) that will stop most of the stuff getting in the holes & also protect the wiring. And if your 'A' frame ever ends up on the ground for any reason it won't dig in quite so much &/or damage the wiring etc. If you take the trailer off road much that can be more likely than you'd expect, cos you can't always use a jockey wheel if you need to drag the trailer out of a mud or sand bog, and having a skid plate there to run on rather than having to jury rig up a spade or something will make it a lot easier to recover at the same time as helping to stop the 'A' frame digging in then too! ;)

But it is all looking pretty damn good, & nice holiday pics too!! Great work!! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » March 10th, 2014, 8:33 pm

I have been meaning to get end caps to cover the holes. But have the issue of the chains and now the power lead coming from inside the draw bar. I did not think of a skid plate/cover. I shall see if I can get a mate to bung one of those up for me.

Thanks for the idea Pete

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 10th, 2014, 10:09 pm

A heavyish plate that bolts on the underside of the 'A' Frame, and then bends up in front of the open ends at about 45 degrees but not so far that it impinges on the action/movement of the hitch or the tow bar itself can be a really handy skid plate if you need to drag the trailer thru mud/sand etc. Sure, it won't stop everything from getting inside the channels as you drive or drag it along, but it reduces the entry of all the crap a lot and the advantages of having a skid plate there more than compensates IMO! ;)

Enjoy
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » November 2nd, 2014, 8:20 pm

Here are some pics of KT with some tyres I am thinking of buying. I trial fitted them up to KT and she sits a bit more level behind Paddy and there was no issue with the droop of the tent - I think because there was less slack in the vertical canvas off the bed base it made seat up easier

They are 31s on 16" rims - if I get them I will need to paint the rims black. I will aslo need to trim up the guards to make them easier to get on and off and avoid rubbing

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » March 12th, 2015, 12:29 am

Nice setup mate. I picked up a second hand camel train and installed new tent on top plus a heap of other mods. I am running same wheels and tyres on truck and trailer meaning I have 3 spares that are interchangeable between either truck or trailer. I hate fixing tyres on the side of a track:) going away at Easter and the 3 girls are already excited, makes it so worth while:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » April 22nd, 2015, 7:38 pm

Those Camels are a great piece of kit Kev, it looks noice!
How did your easter trip go? Now that I live in Brisvegas I am looking for camping spots.
I hope to have the garage all sorted this weekend so I can fetch Katie from her storage and bring her to our new home!

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » April 25th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Easter was great mate. Didn't head out until Monday so most of the long weekend crowd was gone/going. This is Kenilworth Homestead which we love. Really easy place when you have young ones and its only 40mins from our place. Heaps of places all around Bris which are only a couple of hours away. Best of both worlds with bush and beach camping aplenty plus some pretty insane 4wding areas ie Glasshouse Mountains, Landcruiser Park and Manar Park just to name a few. Nine Mile creek at gympie is very family friendly too.
Link to my rig chucking some sand on DI (Double Island or Cooloola National Park) about 2 hrs North of Bris depending on which suburb you reside in.
http://youtu.be/yDHu2BGWE7I
TURN UP VOLUME:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

Return to “My Camper Trailer”