2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 24th, 2011, 7:13 pm

As you know, there is always a story.............. :crazy:

Well here is the GIC story so far

On Friday the spud peeler had rang our bank and increased our internet t/fer limit so we could pay GIC.

Arrived at Revesby about 9.50am, was planning on getting out before 11 so we could go to the RTA and give the NSW govt more money for absoooooooolutley nuttin.

We get to 1st in the queue at GIC and advise that we are paying via internet transfer and the guy says well you can't take the trailer till the money clears. After telling him where we bank he says that will take overnight..............we were staying in Sydney that night so it wasn't that bad until I figured out the RTA isn't open on Sunday and apparently you couldn't do what we needed to do for the CT via the internets so we had to find someway to get some cash.

So Mr GIC gave us floral directions to the local PO so we could get a money order. Unfortunately Mr PO was unable to issue a money order for the amount we needed as our key card limit was only $1000 - so that killed that idea.

Starting to get the irrits quite bad at this point in time. Rang our bank to see if any branches were open on Sat morning. Luckily one was at Bankstown about 10 mins away, by this time it was nearly 10.45am and we were running out of RTA open time as they shut at 12.

We bolt, well as fast as the GU could go, to Bankstown Centro and get the cash. The good thing about this trip is that we found out that the RTA is right next to our bank at Centro which tidied us up for the next run.

We then bolted back to GIC with the intention of just getting the paperwork and bolting back to the RTA at Bankstown to sign up for that. We would then go back and pick up the camper. It was now 11.05am. We told the new version of Mr GIC that we were in a rush which seemed to completely put him off his game as he turned into a bit of a chook with his head cut off. So after 25 mins to hand write no more than 25 words on a receipt plus counting the money we were outta there at 11.30 back to Bankstown.

We got into the RTA at 11.45 with a line up of 10 people in front of us - but importantly we were in before it closed!! Once outta there we went back to GIC and picked up the trailer

Unfortunately when Mr GIC 2.0 put the poly bock on he made a small potentially bad boo boo.

We only noticed this boo boo whne we got to our overnight stop. Mr GIC 2.0 put the main pin in the middle of the block but did not actually put the retaining pin in the bottom of the main pin. This is important as it ensures that the main pin stays located and thereby enabling the actual towing of the CT rather than dragging it by the safety chain. Luckily for everyone concerned the trailer stayed located on the trip from Revesby to Cromer.

So I have learned 2 things, (1) check and double check you have a method of payment that is viable when your picking up your CT and (2) don't trust anyone to secure your trailer to your rig even if they are a professional - double check what they did!

Anyhoo it's back in Medowie now set up in my yard for seasoning. The DSO has been ordered and will be picked up this coming Sat (hopefully) and then we will go over to Gloucester Caravan park for a 2 night stay and of course a trip up to the tops to have a look around.

Should be more pics from the trip. I will post them up when I get back.

Cheers and thanks for reading
Nick
Last edited by No Fn Idea on August 8th, 2011, 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: 2001 GIC Offroad - WOO HOO!!

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 24th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Here are some pics of it in in our backyard.

Cheers
Nick

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 24th, 2011, 7:21 pm

The CT (to be known as Katie) is a 2011 GIC Offroad with options below

12ft Tent
Extreme suspension (8 leaf eye to eye rebound springs)
Shocks
2.1m long drawbar
Large Toolbox
60l water tank
Poly block coupling
Electric Brakes
2 Gas rings
1 Jerry Holder
Side Toolbox holder
Gas struts to bed base
External tap
RHS tube for bike rack at the rear

There is no kitchen above, I thought theirs was a bit pointless. So I ordered a Drifta DSO for the tailgate.

Mods to come

Have to buy a mattress DONE $300 from Fantastic Furniture
Brake controller
Need to add power (2 batts and inverter and possibly battery charger for 240V plug ins)
Replace dodgy no name 15" rims and tyres with ATZ 4 ribs 265/75R16s and rims
Organise some pole holders
Look at some water/dust proofing
LED lights for the interior
Stone Guard
Front mudflaps

And I'm sure some more things will come to mind once I use it.

And boy am I looking forward to using it!!!

Cheers
Nick

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 27th, 2011, 9:29 pm

I have seasoned the canvas through the week (not the awning yet) and packed up the tent today. That was after I made the bed and shoved all the sleeping gear in there.

I also started packing it full of my gear for our trip to Gloucester on the weekend - I'm looking forward to that!!

Cheers
Nick

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » July 27th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Looking good Mick

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: 2011 GIC Offroad - WOO HOO!!

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 28th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Thanks Kev

Got some coin to spend on it yet, but that all part of the fun.

Cheers
Nick

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » July 28th, 2011, 9:22 pm

so why did you decide to go with a GIC? I hope your happy with it after spending all the money on it so far, considering all the negative threads on this forum about them and all. maybe they have changed there ways perhaps?

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 29th, 2011, 10:16 am

Original plan was to find a good second hand jobby from trackabout or lifestyle or some other known brand - but they just don't come up real often and when they do they are either too pricey or too far away for me to look at prior to buying

So I went with GIC because I could afford them and the difference in quality between a 2009 Chinese trailer and my 2011 Aussie one is pretty huge. Yeah, the welds aren't bang on straight, there is a bit of splatter here and there and I don't think it was painted with great care. But these are all things that give me time in the shed away from the spud peeler trying to fix.

Plus buying avery basic camper gives me the opportunity to fiddle and play with it.

And second to that spending $15000 on a Trackabout or something would leave me a bit worried about taking it offraod and bending/scratching it the same way I'd be worried about taking a 200 series off road. With the GIC I'm not that worried.

Cheers
Nick

skinnee
Here and there

Unread post by skinnee » July 30th, 2011, 8:23 am

No Fn Idea wrote:Original plan was to find a good second hand jobby from trackabout or lifestyle or some other known brand - but they just don't come up real often and when they do they are either too pricey or too far away for me to look at prior to buying

So I went with GIC because I could afford them and the difference in quality between a 2009 Chinese trailer and my 2011 Aussie one is pretty huge. Yeah, the welds aren't bang on straight, there is a bit of splatter here and there and I don't think it was painted with great care. But these are all things that give me time in the shed away from the spud peeler trying to fix.

Plus buying avery basic camper gives me the opportunity to fiddle and play with it.

And second to that spending $15000 on a Trackabout or something would leave me a bit worried about taking it offraod and bending/scratching it the same way I'd be worried about taking a 200 series off road. With the GIC I'm not that worried.

Cheers
Nick
i couldnt justify spending over $10k either for a trailer and tent, we are happy with our GIC.

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 7th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Well the GIC now known as Katie has had her first weekend away - we spent two nights at Gloucester Tourist park. We were down by the river and were bathed in 2 days of glorious sunshine and perfect cold nights for the campfire.

Didn't do any wheelin, but did some tours up to Barrington tops to check out Gloucester Tops Caravan Park and the Gloucester Tops Falls

Here are some pics

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 7th, 2011, 6:16 pm

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 7th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Apologies in advance for the pics of my ugly mug..............................hehehehe

Something happened up at Gloucester Falls National Park. We were sitting there having lunch when a car rocks up and out comes 3 people and there dog. Now you and I know dogs aren't allowed to enter a NP. So I'm thinking if they just walk it around the carpark and it has a drink and does it's business and then goes back in the car I'll be happy with that.

Unfortunately they put the dog on a lead and took it down the falls walk. So we left a note on their car saying that we will be reporting them to NPWS. On the Monday I reported them to NPWS in Gloucester and gave them the details of the car and the incident. The Ranger said he would follow it up if I was prepared to be a witness. I said that would be no problem. So the Ranger will be chasing up their address with the rego details and be issuing them a PIN. If they pay that will be the end of it, if they dispute it then I will be called upon to give a formal statement

I know rules suck arse, but they really are there for everyone and should be obeyed if they are reasonable. I really don't like putting my access to NPs at risk just because people are being precious about their pets. Leave the bloody dog and cat at home and enjoy the park for what it is - your pet doesn't really enjoy the NPs like you do.

I'm comfortable with what I did, what do you guys reckon?

Cheers
Nick

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » August 7th, 2011, 6:23 pm

yep I agree, good on ya.

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 7th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Bought some bits and pieces for the GIC

Some padlocks for security
600W projecta inverter
Some marine carpet for the bed base and some tacking strips to keep it down

Not sure I'm going to do pole holders between the trailer and the tool box. Was thinking of making a tub/cage for wood on one half and battery box for the other half......................still thinking about it at this stage. Any ideas what to do with the space?

Cheers
Nick

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Re: 2011 GIC Offroad aka Katie

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » August 11th, 2011, 12:06 am

A game man after all the comments on here about GIC! But goodonya, all the same. :thumb: And yeah, fully agree with your action regarding the dog. Nothin' against the dog, quite like 'em, but some people don't think.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”