Stage Twenty Eight – Bolts, Door Seals, Lights and Plumbing
It's been nearly a year since my last build update and it's about time I finished off the write up. A few people have asked what happened and rest assured that I did get it finished... although they're never really finished are they. It's been used a few times but there were a few major issues in the last year that prevented me from using it more.
The first issue was buying a new house and starting to renovate it. It not only takes time but also swallows all your spare cash. Nice though.
The second was more camper related. There was a bit of a disaster with the camper after the 2nd trip out which put a hold on using for quite a few months. But more on that later... It's all resolved now and the camper will be getting a lot more use in the new year.
So on with the story...
Last time around I was just about at the final stage now and it' was time to fit the drawer slide bolts, the door seals, finalise the lights and the water system that are going on the inside of the main door.
I fitted nice stainless steel spring slide bolts to the drawer slides. These work with the alloy angle fitted to the back wall to stop the storage drawer slides from not only moving backwards and forwards but also up and down.
The LH bolt simply goes into a hole in an alloy bracket that is also the LH guide for the drawer slide. The middle bolt took a while to sort out because it controls both drawer slides. It's attached to the LH drawer slide and goes through the plywood centre spine and then through an alloy bracket attached to the RH drawer slide. This is because the majority of the time the LH drawer slide which contains the kitchen and pantry will actually be slid in and out to use so the bolts will be open. The RH drawer slide which has the fridge on it will only be moved if it is necessary to change the water jerry can because the fridge itself is sitting on it's own independent slide. The RH bolt goes into straight into the plywood internal wall on that side of the camper. It all works very simply and very well.
The door seals are self-adhesive and I decided to fit them to the door frames with mitred corners. A bit of a fiddle but I got them all fitted OK. They do put a lot of pressure on the doors and hinges but I'll see if they compress and settle a bit over time. Otherwise I think I will have replace them with something thinner. I left a 6mm (¼ inch) gap but at the moment it doesn't seem quite enough. They definitely seal the door gaps though...