New and Improved Camper Box Build - Ver 2.0 (lotsa pics!)

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Re: New and Improved Camper Box Build - Ver 2.0

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 23rd, 2011, 11:35 pm

Stage Twenty Four – Assembly Starts

The last thing I got to do before moving house was get the doors on the camper so they weren't something else to move.

The first thing was to get the camper up on the trolley. From this point onwards I was going to be permanently adding weight and it wasn't going to be easy to move.

Then I fitted all the tool box compression locks and the hinges for the last time. Everything had been pre-fitted so it was a pretty straight forward process.

And Tada!! All done!!
2004 RA Rodeo TD, 2" OME Lift, Long Range Tank, Snorkel, Cooper ST's, Custom Camper Box

Camper Box Ver 2.0 Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=134&t=106588

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 23rd, 2011, 11:42 pm

Stage Twenty Five – Main Door Support

I just looked at the dates on the photos and between the last photo posted and the next one is a gap of a month exactly. And look at the first thing I did!! I tried fixing up a previous problem from a month ago and had a go at cutting my thumb off with a panel saw instead. Luckily my favourite first aid nurse wrapped me up once she got over the sight of blood!!!. In the end it wasn't very deep and healed up pretty fast. Nasty.

So made up a bracket to mount to the bottom of the main door to take the pressure off the hinges when closed. It will support the leading edge which should help a lot when thrashing around offroad. It's just a piece of alloy angle with some UHMWPE strips screwed to the bottom. It works well.

This was the first proper thing I made in my new garage. It's tiny and packed full of stuff compared to the great workshop I had at the last house. This is part of the reason it took me so long getting back into the build. Oh well. I'll cope.

2004 RA Rodeo TD, 2" OME Lift, Long Range Tank, Snorkel, Cooper ST's, Custom Camper Box

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 23rd, 2011, 11:47 pm

Stage Twenty Six – The Tent Goes On At Last!!!

Time to put the tent on permanently before adding any more stuff to the camper. In order to do so I had to put the camper on the back of the truck first. I had a mate over to help out and of course it started raining again but we got into it anyway and soon it was on. Then we lifted the tent on and carefully moved it around without sliding it around until all the bolts lined up. I needed to get to the zip around the bottom of the cover without jambing my arm against the back window so this couldn't be done in the garage. Then I put a rubber O-ring on each bolt to seal the hole and cranked them down for the last time. Excellent.

I think it's looking pretty good and the top of tent sits level with the roof rack which is what I wanted. I'm a happy chap!!! I did set the tent up to take a look but forgot to take a photo. Next time...

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 24th, 2011, 12:03 am

Stage Twenty Seven – Drawer Slides and Storage!!

Now it's time to finish off the interior details.

I had the basics of the two drawer slides sorted out ages ago. I partially build them too so now it was time to finish them off.

The LH drawer slide has a removable kitchen box with a large fixed storage box behind that. I also made a handle to pull it out with. The kitchen box is held in place by small 'legs' that go into holes in the drawer slide and held down with SS over-centre catches. It's not finished yet so more on the plans and ideas for that later.

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 26th, 2011, 9:03 pm

The RH drawer will have the fridge on it with a jerry can holder behind it for water. Behind this is another storage box. This will be moved infrequently because the fridge is on its own slide.

These are all just epoxied together the same as the camper and then varnished. I also made a small drop-down table to hang off the main door at the same time. There is a small lip on the back of each drawer floor that has a piece of foam tape attached to soften the close and this lip slips under a piece of alloy angle bolted to the back wall of the camper to keep the back down of the slide when crashing about offroad. Spring bolts hold the front of the slides in place. Both drawers slide on UHMWPE runners I used on my previous build. Easy.

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 26th, 2011, 10:53 pm

That'll do it for now but more to come soon!!
FuzzyM wrote:Damn! That is a very fine piece of work you have going there! Wanna make one for a hilux? :thumb:
um... maybe :)

I've kind of wondered while I have been making this what it would take to make others and the basic box design wouldn't change between different utes beyond the physical dimensions of the tub it would go into.

I would change a bit of the detail and how I actually put it together so it wouldn't take nearly as long to build for one thing but the epoxy/fibreglass method is so strong and light it's great construction method for a box like this. There are things I'd would change just because there are simply better ways to do it or because the customer could have different needs but I think the basic idea is good one for Aussie utes without having to swap out a tub for a tray. Keeping it small, light and strong is the goal.

If you really are interested pm me and we can talk about it further.

HB

larcie
Been here a while

Unread post by larcie » September 28th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Heifer Boy

Mate, well done!
That is a seriously well thoughtout and executed plan.

If you can trim your production times and costs down, you could have a new career.
Looks like you have one prospective customer already.

again, well done mate.

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » September 28th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Thanks Larcie. The more I think about it the more I'd love to build a few of these.

The time frame of this thread really isn't an indication of how much real time I've spend building this and like I said I'd change the process a bit after doing this one. Already learned new techniques and what is and isn't necessary to get something the same with a lot more efficiency. As with most things, the materials didn't cost a whole lot to start with but the details do add up.

I've got a few other personal projects I'd like to do with my new found skills so I've got plenty to keep me busy anyway. A canoe/kayak and then a teardrop are on the list. Just need to be able to pay for them first. Oh, and go camping sometime :p

Fisto
Been here a while

Unread post by Fisto » February 7th, 2012, 11:03 am

Mate, love your work. Great write up and I look forward to the next update.
do as a say not as i do
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=121393

geopaj
Been here a while

Unread post by geopaj » February 10th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Where do you get the UHMWPE runners from and are they expensive? (are they available online?)

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » May 25th, 2012, 11:49 am

Any new updates.
Was looking at a hacking site which lead to a trailer build, that lead to hinges, that lead to a teardrop build, that you commented on that reminded me of this :p

Having seen the teardrop build I am actually wondering if maybe I might change the construction of my camper..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Grunta73
Here and there

Unread post by Grunta73 » May 27th, 2012, 8:39 am

Mate great build really enjoined the read

Yellowboxofdoom
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Yellowboxofdoom » November 15th, 2012, 7:50 am

Wow, I know plenty of people have replied with similar sentiment comprising wow, great build, and good write up and I'd agree and take my hat off to you. Bloody brilliant. I read the whole write up end to end three times with great interest.

I have just switched from a Patrol to a Navara and started reading around for ideas of how to set it up for camping and your build and write up has given my LOADS of inspiration to the extent that I may be accused for blatantly ripping your ideas off when I start building (hope you can take imitation as the greatest form of flattery).

Do you mind if I ask the rough quantities of epoxy and other fibreglass related chemicals it took to build and coat your box? I can plan out the plywood elements of the job but I've never done any GRP work to be able to gauge the quantities.

Again, very impressed with your results, just hope I can achieve something half as great.

Heifer Boy
Been here a while

Unread post by Heifer Boy » November 17th, 2012, 7:54 am

Thanks Yellowboxofdoom (great name) for asking you question because I never realized I hadn't replied to geopaj all those months ago. I hope he gets (and still needs) the answer below.

geopaj
I got them from Plastix on the Princes Hwy in Rockdale. Really cheap and they cut to size. Don't know about online. The problem with it is you can't glue it so I had to drill and screw them. It make it easy to replace if needed but means they have to have a thickness which takes up space. Mine are 10 or 12mm thick I think. I saw on another site UHMWPE "tape" being used for drawers which comes in a self-adhesive roll and is only about 2mm thick. Fantastic stuff. I've seen that on Amazon but not in any shops here.

back to Yellowboxofdoom
Thanks. Things have changed a little over the last few uses of the camper (including one major disaster) so I will be posting a long term update in a couple of weeks. Keep an eye out for it.

From memory I used about 12 litres of resin/hardener and a few kgs of filler powder. I used about 10m of 200gsm cloth to wrap the whole thing too. There was also an uncountable amount of stirring sticks, scrapers, pots, measuring tubs, sandpaper and some expensive marine undercoat and topcoat paint. It added a lot of material and cost to the project but has meant a very strong and rigid camper. I've beaten this thing up and it's still solid as a rock. Next time around I maybe would use lighter glass cloth and be a little finer with my application of epoxy - expecially the fillets. For the joint size available with the thick ply I used the large fillets I made really don't need to be that big.

I highly recommend getting Bote Cotes Boat Building Handbook ($5) and I used there products throughout. I've since tried some others and I'm back to Bote Cote again. It's good stuff. Also check out boat/canoe/kyak build sites for loads of tips. Teardrop sites are great for wood building too but it needs to offroadable.

Have fun and make sure you post your build up here.

HB

Yellowboxofdoom
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Yellowboxofdoom » November 18th, 2012, 5:48 am

Cheers HB Will look forward to the update, and especially what has changed/disaster. Will be starting my box in the new year and will endeavour to take as detailed a set of photos so can share..........and I may even paint it yellow ;0)

Return to “My Camper Trailer”