jclures DIY crossover camper

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
stretch4x4

Re: jclures DIY crossover camper

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 5th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I don't think I ever bounced well!

The camper is looking neater and neater, very professional!
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » March 6th, 2018, 7:38 am

Thanks stretch4x4, it looks good in the photos, trying to get it looking good is not as easy as I thought. I find it hard to get the bits I want up here, or freight kills me if I order on line.
I guess though I don't bounce well either, maybe that is why I am missing a few bits.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » March 9th, 2018, 8:09 pm

I now have a better idea on how my shower and toilet will look, after making a base frame I have been able to test the shower and toilet.
Shower and toilet test fit 002.jpg
When I started building I had planed around a different toilet, so I now have a overhang of the toilet base over the shower base.
Shower and toilet test fit 001.jpg
I decider that the price I would have paid for the toilet, for what I would have got, was to much. I can buy two of these toilets for the same amount, this way I can have a spare bottom tank when travelling, which I thought was a good idea, and I still have a electric push button flush.

I also have finished the shower plumbing, on the inside. I think for me I might put a shower bracket of the roof, as hand held shower heads are no good to me.

I have also been working on the camper wiring again, I still have a bit to do with this but I am making progress.
main switch board 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 12th, 2018, 7:32 am

We took a big step getting the camper ready for camping. The fridge is now wired in , and going, beer is cold that is all that matters.
The kitchen is also getting there, the door is fitted, and the wiring to run the rear water pump is also finished.
So I now hare running water and a cold fridge, ready for camping.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 12th, 2018, 7:41 am

I have had some trouble posting photos so I am behind with my posting, so I have some catching up since Easter.

The inside bench and drawers are now starting to take shape, I have folded the drawers up, and riveted them together. If I could tig that would have been a better option, as I do not have that option. rivets are going to do. I will fit drawer fronts and handles on when finished but they will work for now.

The fridge compartment is now also sheeted in, as well, so I can now start on the counter top next. It will have a small sink with the hot and cold tap plumbed in.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 12th, 2018, 8:05 am

Now for its first outing, even though it was not finished I was able to take it out for the Easter long weekend.
The camper towed well, I new it was there but it behaved well behind my Nissan.

I had a few minor problems, the water pump relay wiring needed to be looked at as a plug was not in it socket properly. I also had a problem with the top half of the main door. The screws I fitted had come loose, these were meant to be changed to different screws before it took it out, but I run out of time.

I am going tho change the rear swing down legs though, the 450mm long legs could not swing down enough, so 400mm legs will now be fitted on the rear.
As it turned out coming home, some how I have damaged one of the front legs, so I can use the replaced rear legs to fix the front leg. The road in to where I went is as rough as I think I would take the camper, I should have taken a few photos of what I just called a road so you new what I meant.

I am also going to fit a new compressor, the one I am using looks like it is only just doing the job, I would have liked the ability to put more air into the air bags to cross a couple of gullies on the road, to give the camper more ground clearance but I could not go higher than 115psi.

As it looked like rain while we were camping, we fitted temporary covers over the actuators, they tell me they are water proof but I have on faith in that claim. I also don't want water entering this section of the camper anyway. We will make proper covers to cover them before we go again I hope out of a reinforced vinyl material with Velcro attachments.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Still looking very impressive!
Glad you git it out for a test run
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

ian.gonzo
Here and there

Unread post by ian.gonzo » April 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Must feel very good to finally have it finished to a stage that you can use it. Well done, you must feel very proud of your workmanship. I wish I had your skills. Cheers Ian.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 16th, 2018, 7:50 am

Thanks for the comments, It is good to have it to the point where I can use it.
I hope to start on the inside hand basin and bench this week, as well as mounting a new compressor in place, that is my plan done for the week, my plans never seem to get done on time though.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 17th, 2018, 7:49 am

The new compressor I brought from Thor Air Suspension has arrived, now it is here I will test run it before fitting, I would like to run it along side what I already have but I will run them in a test before doing that.

I have also started fitting the hand basin bench in, after framing the front up I have cut down a bench top brought from Bunnings, and fitted a basin into it.

I found I will need a 90deg waste though, so I now am waiting on this to arrive before finishing it of.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » April 18th, 2018, 7:07 am

I thought after using the camper the one thing I found harder was using the treg coupling, so I have brought the McHitch adaptor kit. This seamed like the best option for now, although when I can afford it, I think I will go to the McHitch automatic trailer coupler.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » June 6th, 2018, 7:55 am

I started planing this spare tyre mount when I made the main camper frame by reinforcing two mounting plates, drilled and threaded for the main mount.

I am only making one spare tyre for now though, I only have eight rims and tyres in this pattern and size, five on the Nissan and three on the camper.

I have used a house stump threaded captive nut and 25mm thread for the mount.
The hard bit for me was making the swing down carrier. I wanted the wheel when down, to be facing up, this way it is easier for me to fit the spare on the carrier. It took a bit of work to get the thread to line up and the mount to slide into place but it worked out quite well.

I can also still use my tyre cover over the spare tyre, I might have to buy a new one though at some time, as this one is getting a few marks on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » June 6th, 2018, 8:06 am

have even before I finished the camper thought about fitting what you would call a stabiliser bar in the suspension, as I thought it would be beneficial. I looked at a few bars I had here, but none would work with what I have.
I then brought a second hand VX Commodore rear bar after doing a few measurements using the Commodore I have here.
After backing the camper onto my ramp to make it easy to work on I started fitting it, I needed some backing practise anyway.
As it worked out fitting it to the axle was quite easy, and it only took a little work on the link rods to get them to fit.
I am taking it on a trip again soon, so I will road test it on some gravel roads, and a windy bitumen range road which should tell me it it was worth the effort fitting it.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » June 7th, 2018, 7:10 am

Alter giving the flooring a bit of thought I have decided to use a product called Hanwood Planks. Hanwood is a waterproof vinyl interlocking plank with a rubber backing, and also a good insulator on the floor, Well that is what they claim on the box.
Even though the Hanwood is a floating floor product, I am using sickerflex to hold it in place.
While I am at it I am also tiding up the chassis rails in the doorway with some prop plate.

jclures
Avid Poster

Unread post by jclures » June 7th, 2018, 7:13 am

Bonnie took a video of the roof going up when we went away last weekend, it is a 2.30 minute video.
As the roof is going up it is also lifting the folding wall on the left hand side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuNzs0 ... e=youtu.be

We did take a video of me folding out the folding walls but for some reason it was very blurry.
Next time we go away we will try again to get this video of the wall folding and locking in place.

Return to “My Camper Trailer”