Single axle or twin axle camper?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
fergus 80
Here and there

Single axle or twin axle camper?

Unread post by fergus 80 » February 5th, 2015, 9:25 am

Gday fellas making a camper trailer soon, want it to be a tough bush broof unit for myself, the mrs and 2 kids. I would love to build a tandom as they are bigger and can fit more ***** but who tows one on here? are they stupid big in the bush and just annoying or will they be just as bad as a single axle? plans are short tradies trailer with twin axles on cruiser rims. roof top tent on top with a cage around that to put the tinny when on those sorts of trips. draws on the inside with cooking gear and fridge. really want to go twin, if u have any pics of if you have one i would love to see it
HZJ 80 No turbo and lack of lockers

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Single axle or twin axle camper?

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » February 5th, 2015, 9:31 am

Single axle will and good axle/suspension combination will cover all your weight requirements easily.

a duel axle trailer will also be a pain in the ass out in the bush.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » February 5th, 2015, 1:43 pm

Sounds like you're chasing something similar to what I have just finished, although mine is single axle with the upper canopy made extra wide to bring it out to the edge of the guards.

Here is a thread I posted with a heap of pics;
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=155297

The rack was made with the idea of possibly fitting a rooftop tent sometime down the track if I decide to go that way. For now, the setup is how I want it.
My thing is as solid as a rock with a GVM of 1500kg so can carry a fair bit of stuff. To be honest, 1500kg is about the absolute maximum I would want to be towing offroad anyway. How heavy do you anticipate yours being? Is there a need for it to be dual axle? Mine sits at about 1100kg fully loaded for a trip.
Cheers,

Nathan

fergus 80
Here and there

Unread post by fergus 80 » February 6th, 2015, 6:24 am

Thanks for the replys fellas, single is more practical i know but was thinking on the load side of things could set it up smick, but after seeings urs nathan thats exactly what im after with the tent on top and a boad loader that folds to the side with the tinnie, il do some more planning and keep u posted cheers
HZJ 80 No turbo and lack of lockers

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”