Bike stand on a roof rack

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
therichfactor
I'm new, be nice!

Bike stand on a roof rack

Unread post by therichfactor » January 13th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Might sound like a stupid idea but I've been considering throwing a bike rack (think one of those things you park your bikes in at school) up on the roof rack of the Patrol (like you'd do in the tray of a ute). Means that I've still got the roof racks on hand when I unload the bikes (and the rack) and that I have a handy bike rack when we set up camp. Wondering about whether this is something someone has seen done before (with good or bad results).
The question comes up because I've been looking into how to put 4 bikes onto a camper trailer with little to no success. I'm not keen on adding a receiver hitch to the rear of the trailer as I don't want to screw with the handling of the trailer. I haven't yet come up with a clean way to add them to the draw bar as it is already loaded with tool boxes, a spare wheel and a stone guard. I'm thinking of modifying the vertical bar that the spare wheel rides on and adding a custom made bike rack that will see 2 bikes above the space the spare wheel currently takes up and 2 bikes above the tool boxes. Not sure yet if this will work and looking for a short term solution while I work things out with a welder mate of mine.
Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”