Excessive ball weight on MDC hard floor?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
gqjay
Part of the furniture

Re: Excessive ball weight on MDC hard floor?

Unread post by gqjay » December 1st, 2014, 4:30 pm

300kg tow ball, thats nuts for the leading camper trailer designer and manufacture.

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » December 4th, 2014, 6:57 pm

300kg :petrified:
That is crazy and must be dangerously close to having the trailer fishtail while you are driving. Also be very careful when pushing your trailer around the shed, that is a lot of weight on your jockey wheel.
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » December 6th, 2014, 6:40 pm

OK. I've re-read this thread a few times and can't see anywhere where it says you've contacted the manufacturer. First thing I'd be doing is asking them WTF? I'd want them to either fix THEIR stuff up, or give me my money back. AND explain how 185kg turns into 300kg or why they lied. And I'd be explaining to them in no uncertain terms the legal ramifications of their actions.

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » January 30th, 2015, 11:37 pm

They probably rear set the axle a tad.
as rear set tows a LOT more stable and safely then centre set axle units do.

Look at good quality caravans. only the ones with bad reputations for towing/swinging.
(apart from quality) are centre set.

If MFG don't come to party.
It's a fairly easy job to grind off spring hangers. Slide the body along them (with two of you) till you get the Tow weight where you want.
then reweld Hangers. maybe extend slippers a little, back on.

I've made a couple trailers/boat trailers.
I always made the spring assy on boat trlrs on a long length of angle iron. both sides facing inwards.
with multiple bolt mounting holes through chassis rails on both sides.
so as to be able to adjust position of axle if/when you changed boat/motor weight.

Any welding shop shouldn't charge too much. It only a simple job.
Two grinds. two welds. and maybe slipper rail extended and they'd have chain blocks to suspend with.

At least if you do it. You Know what it is to start with.

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 31st, 2015, 9:05 am

Not that easy though mate. You're not just moving spring hangers. What about relocation of mud guards etc, especially if it is one of those trailers with closed in sides and lockable compartments? Best to let the manufacturer rectify it as if the actual ball weight far exceeds the advertised ball weight then it is a manufacturing/design fault.
Cheers,

Nathan

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » February 2nd, 2015, 12:54 am

Timmo wrote: ....Not that easy though mate. You're not just moving spring hangers.
What about relocation of mud guards etc....
Yea sorry mate.
I forgot.
I always make up the bottom assy as a whole.
Angle bars. Axle mounts. and then guards welded to angles on short angles. so they can go anywhere.

Looks like he going to weld extension chassis frame on back with Water/battery's etc, to counter balance
the front. Take the gas bottle. water tanks. Spare whatever, from sides and relocate

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”