Recommendations on what to use for enclosed trailer walls?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
Cynner
Here and there

Recommendations on what to use for enclosed trailer walls?

Unread post by Cynner » May 18th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Hey guys,

I've been searching EVERYWHERE for some advice and not gotten some real good information.

I am building an enclosed trailer, (well turning my 6x4 into an enclosed) all of my support and wall beams are 40x40mm 1.5 rhs all MiG welded. Adding carry racks on top which is mostly already done. I am using 35x35mm rhs (to insert into 40x40) to be able to extend my carry racks if needed.

Well I am stuck now and unsure what to do with the walls. These are exterior walls, I don't plan on filling the trailer with rocks or anything that is going to be forcing the walls out. I want to be able to use it for carting things and sleeping it if I want to go away for the weekend.

So I went to my local steel merchant and they said I have an option between .56mm steel and .75mm steel panels. I am on a tight budget so obviously the 0.56mm panels looked better cost wise but will it effect my trailer at all? I am only getting them for the outside and they are being riveted on. I am lining the inside with steel corrugated colorbond and insulation in-between the two, so no pressure will ever be put on the exterior panels. They're merely to make it look a bit nicer.

Recommendations?

Eddy

Re: Recommendations on what to use for enclosed trailer wall

Unread post by Eddy » May 19th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Either will be ok ... BUT:-
The sheet will flop around a bit and will be near impossible to get a clean smooth finish.
best bet would be to get the sheets creased in a "X" corner to corner, or even a double "X"

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”