Servicing Camper trailer bearing - How often?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
smwhiskey
Been here a while

Servicing Camper trailer bearing - How often?

Unread post by smwhiskey » August 24th, 2013, 7:26 am

HI All

Long story short. I've had a nightmare with the bearing on my camper trailer. Bought the trailer brand new. Blew one set of bearings apart in the first 200km :( which resulted in the company involved getting a Christmas day phone call from an unhappy customer. Got the trailer home and cleaned and regreased both sets. I say regreased but thats making the huge assumption that they had grease in them in the first place. Seen more grease in a packet of chips.

But I think the damage had been done to the other side because on a recent trip they self-destructed as (total kms less than 3000km) resulting in a roadside bearing replacement repair job in the rain :(.

Now had both sides replaced professionally for peace of mind and to have both sides the same.

So I'm wondering how often do you service/regrease/replace your trailer bearings?

Thanks
Simon
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Re: Servicing Camper trailer bearing - How often?

Unread post by TLC60S » August 24th, 2013, 9:31 am

Cause I'm to lazy to work out Kms the trailer is doing I pull them out before any big trip & replace with new grease but if they are getting loose when you spin them I will replace them. Also I have added a set of those grease caps with the nipple that you fill that push grease in when needed. Now on 13 years with the camper & never had roadside bearing trouble touch wood.

Prado 150
Here and there

Unread post by Prado 150 » August 24th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Pays to have set of bearings greased up all ready put into a container with grease for those unexpected shot bearings I have my camper for 18 yrs good quality bearing and marine grease and never had a problem i wash and compress air the crap out of the races every once every year. Happy camping

Cheers Prado 150

Ian

Clint N
Been here a while

Unread post by Clint N » August 26th, 2013, 9:34 pm

normal use once a year should be more that enough to clean service and repack, but if doing water crossings id repack every trip to make sure

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » August 26th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Hey smwhiskey
Another reason bearing fail beside of grease issues is cause the hub nut has been over tighten or not tight enough .
When ever doing long distances or driving on dirt & corrugated roads do a check & see if there is no play in the wheel bearing by holding the top of the wheel & give it a shake.

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » January 30th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Hi.

With my boats. I strip and replace bearings every yr. Regardless. Plus have "Bearing Buddy" (greasable hub covers on them too. But they only Ford hubs/bearings.
A lot of the ramps here are waay out in bush. plus we do a lot of mileage t'ween different Barra Dams.

Caravan. I pull. clean with Kero. then repack with HMP once a yr with full external service B4 every annual 3 to 4 month trip. But they lateral not Taper bearings and around $70 a hub x 4.

6 x 4.
I Pull. rinse with Kero, and repack with HMP (High melting point grease) once a yr too.

I thought of putting a set of Bearing Buddy's on. But it only does the Dump run once a month or so.

Treat 'em like my Caravan hubs and you'll never have a problem.
Check for "looseness" regularly.
Hold top of tyre and rock away and towards you a few times.
If more than a little rocking.
Get on net and read up.

It's basic and simple.
when you put new or greased bearings back.

Reinstall the washer, wheel nut.
Tighten up slightly over touch tight. Turning wheel while doing so to centre the bearings.
Then back off enough that the split pin supplied will go through the hole.
Tap hub cover on gently. and that's it.

Some people. I do.
pack the whole assy including the inside of cover. and wipe away spare grease when it butted up.
But I'm old school. More is ALWAYS better/bigger/stronger, Than less.

Have fun. they easy..

Plus after first 100km or so, just feel hub centre and make sure it's not TOO hot.
Signifying you tightened too much.
As long as you left a little "rock" in wheel and it not grinding when you rotate it on jack it'll be fine.

dogbox
Been here a while

Unread post by dogbox » June 17th, 2016, 12:24 pm

how often do you repack your tug bearings ?
boat trailer bearings check all the time because they get drowned every trip full clean and repack every year if not sooner

camper trailer replaced Chinese bearings with Timken bearings and real grease check before big trips still feels/sounds good 3 years on

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”