Camper Trailer water tanks - to empty or not

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
BennyT50
Avid Poster

Camper Trailer water tanks - to empty or not

Unread post by BennyT50 » August 2nd, 2013, 4:44 pm

Just got back from a trip and had a water tank installed on the camper trailer.

My question is, do I empty the tank now that I am at home and let it dry out, or do I leave it with the remmaining water in there?

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

Prado 150
Here and there

Re: Camper Trailer water tanks - to empty or not

Unread post by Prado 150 » August 2nd, 2013, 6:57 pm

i have 2 water tanks underneath my camper and i always empty both tanks i usually put blocks under the tyre on the opposite side of the drain tap let the water out that my two bobs worth .

Cheers Prado 150
Ian

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 2nd, 2013, 7:59 pm

If you leave water in the tank, it stands a good chance of becoming tainted with whatever material the tank is made of - and I can tell you that drinking metal or plastic tainted water isn't a good thing!! :eek:

And if your tank is holding water but is vented to the air, and especially if it gets warm in the sun or anything like that, then there's a good chance it'll grow algae or other crud!!

So EMPTY them as best you can, and before you use them again, flush them & rinse them out before filling them with fresh drinking water just before you go!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

knoath05
Been here a while

Unread post by knoath05 » October 22nd, 2013, 10:48 pm

I'm about to buy a CT and I was wondering about this the other day... came to the conclusion I'd rather not use the tank for drinking water... dish washing and showering maybe...

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » October 23rd, 2013, 7:33 am

Knoath,

I had one retro-fitted to my CT. Thought I would give it a wash out first and just as well I did.

Filled it up, got it on an angle so that the bung underneath was at the lowest point and then released the water. You should have seen all the shavings (swarf, I think it is called) come out. It was all the bits of plastic that was from the drilling of the holes. Had to get my fingers up around the outlet and pull it out by hand. Did this a number of times and is now good.

We use ours for drinking water and it is fine. It all depends on the quality of the water you put in there.

BennyT50
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » November 6th, 2013, 8:18 am

Assuming you are happy with the quality of the water coming out of your tanks then there is no real need to empty them.
Water does not go off, only the bugs go off. If its town water dosed up with chlorine etc it'll be fine. Its in the dark so sunlight isn't going to promote the growth of anything.
How many houses running tank water drain the tanks when they go on holiday?

Eddy

Unread post by Eddy » November 7th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Once I would have said drain it ...
A couple years ago we bought an old caravan. didn't do a lot to it, just redesigned the sleeping quarters a bit. The Son came up and stayed in it a few nights. Turned out he was drinking the water from the tank and reckoned it was excellent. As far as we could work out, that water had been untouched for at least 6 yeasr, as the PO didn't even know it had a tank!

Got me beat!

Not_An_Abba_Fan
Been here a while

Unread post by Not_An_Abba_Fan » November 7th, 2013, 4:30 pm

As soon as you get home fill the tanks to over flowing and leave them full. It's the air in the tanks that allows the growth of mold, mildew and algae, having them completely full will stop anything from growing.

I would probably drain it and refill it with fresh water before a trip though.
Southwest Performance Exhaust

goldiexxxx
Been here a while

Unread post by goldiexxxx » June 26th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Bought my second hand CT with a tank. Filled the tank and went on our first trip with no problems. I didn't flush out or empty the tank on return and by the time we used it again the tank was full of algae coming out in chunks from the hand pump. I don't trust any water out of it any more and will be replacing the tank. Next time I will use a bit of chlorine in it during storage and flush it right out before using the CT again.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » June 26th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Napisan is great for washing out or storing water tanks, 50-60gms dropped in and topped right up after a trip keeps the bugs away.

Flush with lots of water before refilling
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

TheBlackbird
Been here a while

Unread post by TheBlackbird » June 26th, 2014, 10:43 pm

It's like emptying out your plastic kettle... Do it! :candy:
:fish:
1990 HJ75RV

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » June 27th, 2014, 12:35 am

I always drop a Puritab in mine and am more than happy to drink the water out of them anytime........never been sick yet

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » June 27th, 2014, 7:50 am

Harb,

Where do you get puritabs?

BennyT50

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » March 25th, 2015, 4:51 pm

I always leave mine full on the basis that before town water existed and everyone used tank water, it was usually ok unless some animal fell in and died.

One thing to consider though. Any of you ever carried out any servicing of a domestic toilet cistern?
Its nice clean town water, same as you drink. However it has been left standing for quite some time without maintenance. Run you hand along the inside wall of your home cistern...

Although I do not make a point of emptying the CT tanks every time, I do clean them out a bit more often now.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 25th, 2015, 5:44 pm

I only have a 60 litre water tank & it's just enough water for the cleaning fanatic that comes with me on the dusty trips.
When I first brought the camper I tried the water out of the tank & it tasted like plastic so I started to carry drinking water in containers . Now we carry the Noble 10 litre cask water as they travel well unlike the plastic bottles . Also it solves the problem I had back when I was using the tank & when travelling through Sturt National Park I had a stone smash off a fitting & lost all the tank water , I was lucky at Fort Grey I could top back up. It's best to carry in more than one source anyway . When the cask is finished we use the bladder in the frig to take up space by blowing it up to the size we need to stop everything from jumping around in the frig & the cardboard carton helps to start the fire.
Being a black poly tank I cant see inside or get inside it so I don't trust it & as for flushing I have used a product call TANK-CLEEN by Camec but I don't think the lines for the tank especially the line going from the tank to the tap is being treated enough.
This it what works for me so it is just the way I do it .

Cheers TLC60S

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”