Getting hitched - which to use? Treg or Hitchmaster?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
emjan
Been here a while

Getting hitched - which to use? Treg or Hitchmaster?

Unread post by emjan » November 9th, 2012, 2:05 pm

We have a Cub Supavan on order for pick up early Feb, which comes with a trig off road hitch. I've heard good & bad about this hitch & ARB at Geelong suggest using a Hitchmaster DO35 as it eliminates the need for precision hitching of CT to 4WD. Has anyone else had experience with these hitches or know if a Hitchmaster D035 can be attached to a Navara? Thanks, Mary
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Getting hitched - which to use? Treg or Hitchmaster?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 9th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Any vehicle with a standard or HR type tow bar on the rear can have a D035 fitted to the tow bar tongue - on the car end it's just a bolt on bit that goes on the tongue instead of the tow ball. And the bit that goes on the trailer replaces the Treg type bolt or weld on bit - BLOODY BRILLIANT is probly the best comment! We've got the older V1 type with the solid metal connector in the trailer swivel, the latest V2 offerings have a Poly block in there instead that will take a little of the shock load out and minimise the (already quite quiet) noise from the hitch! Haven't found any reason not to like it a lot more than the older Treg hitch so far, and we've done quite a few tens of thousands of kms with a trailer hanging off it; but that said, the Treg coupling has been around for a long while and works pretty well too!

I'd like to know what sort of bad things you've heard about the Treg coupling, apart from the need to line it up before you push the pin in (& the pain it is if you lose the pin & spring bit in the middle of the Simpson - but that's a whole 'nuther story~) They are a pretty robust coupling that works very well for off road trailers, and the Hitchmaster is just a smarter version derived from the same basic idea - an evolutionary & reasonably innovative modification on something that is still a perfectly good hitch. The Hitchmaster IS easier to hook up, quieter in use, arguably providing better articulation, and with a simpler & less risky locking mechanism.

I've used both, and I'd pay a tad more to get the Hitchmaster if given the choice on a new trailer, but either will do the job of securing & handling the task making sure your off road trailer doesn't part company with the tow vehicle. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 10th, 2012, 6:19 am

Thanks Peter, the info I'd been given (maybe read ARB sales pitch) is that that the polyethylene treg block wears over time & because of this becomes increasingly difficult to hitch up alone, & have been known to crumble with hard use. Easy to replace the block, yes, but the precision hitching will do my head in. I actually contacted Cub & asked if they'd put one on the CT they're building for us if I sent them the trailer component but unfortunately they won't. We have to get it changed after pick up. We're relieved the DO35 is compatible with attaching to the navara

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 10th, 2012, 9:53 am

I'd read 'Sales Pitch' into those issues - sure, eventually it may be an issue due to those things (read years and years!) but from the word go generally the only issue is the need to line things up reasonably well, and it isn't really a biggie, generally once you've got the block into the gap all it takes is a bit of pressure from your knee or vehicle to let you get the pin into the hole & then locked off. But the Hitchmaster with it's pyramid type pin & unfettered movement/articulation from the block avoids all that, just get the pin somewhere near the hole and lower away, it self centres and is then a one finger lock! :)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 10th, 2012, 10:13 am

Little trick, install a good quality reversing camera directly in line with the hitch and a couple of inches higher that it.
Mine actually is in the top edge of the Number plate !!!

Then set the image for actual or reversed ( whatever you prefer )

Never have a problem after that, since doing it I have always been able to line it up perfectly, in fact if the height of the vehicle hasn't changed since unhitch it will slot back in there - then the missus just drops the pin in - TFE !!

Or if moved, a simple up down adjustment and then TFE !!

I use a Treg and I call BS, not marketing, on the wear factor. Lots of mud, grit, dirt, sand and no wear, besides there is a big metal bush inside the Treg. Its certainly not rounded out.

Doesn't matter which hitch, install the reversing camera and any hookup is a "Precision Hookup".
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Ranger50
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ranger50 » November 11th, 2012, 7:32 am

Hi emjan,

I have the OZHITCH, it's great, self locating when lowering on to hitch, 3.5 tonne capacity, great articulation in all directions, and can buy accessories and spare parts for them, also not very expensive!!!

I would recommend it to anyone with an OFFROAD CAMPERTRAILER

Cheers Ranger50 :thumb: :drink: :drink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FordRangerPKDC2009HighlandGreenDeluxebarWinchSnorkelLR TankCanopyXXXHIDDLightsUHFReverseCameraDualBatteriesOBCompressorHID conversion2inLiftBFGAT2657516WetseatSeatcoversTurbo TimerCustomrockersBattMon

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 11th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Interesting hitch the ozhitch, would be nice to get away from pins tho, always a risk when it comes to losing them...knowing my luck...lol. Will certainly look into it, thanks for the info Ranger50.

Reversing camera a great idea Chris, it's on the list.

Peter, my knees are shot, never recovered successfully from surgery last Apr, they don't do much pushing anymore...aah well.

Had a look at the prices of Hitchmaster DO35 & Oz Hitch & they are variable depending on design & function, but will certainly do a comparison

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 11th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Here is how not to lose a Pin / Clip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

huntingdado1990
Here and there

Unread post by huntingdado1990 » November 13th, 2012, 1:37 pm

DO35 v2. since I've had mine I've never looked back! I might cop some flack over this comment but the polyblock or treg design is very antiquated which gives it the 'tried & true' claims it makes, but so does the pintle hook & claw. The Hitchmaster DO35v2 and the OZHITCH are alot more refined and IMHO just as reliable and in some respects even better!
Lead (Pb) Challenger

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 13th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Huntingdado,

Please don't take this as flak but the humble old mouse trap is very antiquated also ............. but it works simply and very reliably, and in every instance of a new hitch for trailers/ campers etc it is just a variation on an old theme.

The ozhitch is a horizontal pin , the Treg a vertical pin, The Hitchmaster is a fixed pin.

When someone comes up with a hitch that doesn't require someone to wind the camper up or down that last 50mm or so , or secure the locking device / pin or the connection fully automatically both on coupling and uncoupling or its totally activated from the drivers seat and is absolutely foolproof and legal then I would say it is more refined or better.

Almost everything old is new again at some stage :lol:

Having used both the Ozhitch and the Treg i find it is far easier to line up and drop a pin in vertically , particularly when I can look directly down on it. The Ozhitch was a PITA. particularly offroad in less that perfect angles.

The Hitchmaster is just a Treg type block being lowered onto its pin - no radical redesign just a little lateral thinking.

It really is a personal preference I think .

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » November 13th, 2012, 2:44 pm

While having a quick look at the two systems being discussed I found this which is getting closer to what you want Chris :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZBjAj7 ... re=related
Probably not legal in Aus and isn't offroad..
But with a servo and your reversing camera it could be basically all from the driver seat.. Only other issues would be a ram for the jockey wheel to hold the height along with some way of making the safety and lighting wireless or self connecting...

Ok might be a bit to go yet :lol:
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 13th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Stretch,

Yep seen that,

Take the Hitchmaster modify it to a Fulkrum pivot type system , interlink the electrical contacts through the hitch for lighting and "fail to safe" servos to lock/ unlock the hitch and pivot as it is now working from a fixed and known location, and then using Air Shocks as the lifting / lowering device for the vehicle ( easy to get the 50mm movement required & driven from your compressed air tank / endless air / locker compressor ) combined with the reversing camera it shouldn't be all that hard to do. ;) :D

Building it might not be all that hard, a good fabricator I reckon could do it, someone with a bit of electrical nouse and design capabilities to sort out the sparky bits but getting it engineered and complianced might be the hard bit I reckon.

Marketing wouldn't be a problem ............ its new , its improved and its ........... ( insert marketing here ) :lol: :lol:

Selling it to tight fisted cynical bast**ds like me would be the problem , I rather get out of the car :lol: :lol:

Then there is the copyright infringement :eek:

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

huntingdado1990
Here and there

Unread post by huntingdado1990 » November 14th, 2012, 7:40 am

Good comments Chris, If I saw you in a pub somewhere in a remote country town I'd still buy you a beer, your throw back to mouse traps is a good analogy and is worth a schooner or two! No secret that I'm a Hitchmaster convert and as you say the concepts are not that different in either system. What I like about the DO35v2 is that you don't need to be spot on to get it on the pin, even with a reversing camera it is near impossible to line it up perfectly when you're on a track somewhere and you need to separate for the sake of a safe recovery. This situation is where the treg or polyblock couplings cop the most criticism; But then again, in that kind of situation you're fighting static loads and mechanical forces no matter what system you have! In regards to automatic coupling systems, I'd have to say that I'm not comfortable with the idea that you can hook up without getting out to check everything including the redundant safety systems like chains etc. I know people are working on this (tnx Stretch4x4 for the video link) and to quote a really smart man "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" Maybe when they figure out how the flux capacitor works it could revolutionise the towing industry as well! :lol:
Lead (Pb) Challenger

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » November 14th, 2012, 8:33 am

Good post :thumb:
I agree, I know nothing about towing offroad but the DO35 hitch did look like if thongs weren't quite perfect it was the one that would solve it.
I watched one of the ozhitch videos and they stated to get the pin in easily you can't just drop the hitch in the cradle, it needs to hover.. sounded painful and imprecise..

Also agree about the automation. I think at least the fail safe needs to be manual.. (although some people can even screw that up..) and the wiring would need to check itself for faults (probably should have that anyway)
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 14th, 2012, 9:02 am

Huntingdado,

Thanks, I might take you up on the schooner offer one day, although I don't get to Canberra much ;) :D :lol:

I betting that until Fusion power , flux capacitors, Higgs Bosons particles and hover trailers become commercially viable we are going to dragging our butts out of the drivers seat and fighting with trailer links and discussing their pros and cons even further.

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”