How's this for a first camper trailer purchase?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
dammit01
Here and there

Re: How's this for a first camper trailer purchase?

Unread post by dammit01 » December 28th, 2012, 10:20 pm

I have had my MDC camper a few months now. trailers are built here, tents are Chinese, but they offer an Aussie tent that costs more. My trailer is the off road version, I ordered it with the battery pack. It cost me $5995, it's normally $4000 plus. I got a shower & two led lights. So far, I'm happy with it.

Denny27
Here and there

Unread post by Denny27 » January 3rd, 2013, 1:37 pm

Benny, Mate please do not give GIC a backhander when commenting on MDC. GIC is built from Australian steel.. cut & bent here with the chassis & drawbar welded all together with the box at the time of manufacture... in Sydney, not in Bejing. Please feel free any doubters out there to call in to Milperra Rd in Revesby... especially if you have been thinking that GIC is anything other than a reputable Australian manufacturer. I believe Telstra offered GIC the 1300 CAMPERS (1300 2267377) free call line, because of GIC's place as the biggest local camper trailer manufacturer.

Comparitively, MDC call themselves "Australias Largest Camper Trailer Manufacturer". So why is it not mentioned that the MDC manufacturing factory is located in overseas? I believe the drawbars and tub (separate chassis and box) are imported and then assembled together at various workshops in Australia.

GIC are definitely not in the same league as MDC it is true, because I believe the majority of steel trades people would only ever consider an Australian Camper Trailer like GIC... Why?... other than to buy Australian?! It is to make sure their family is not stuck out the back of Bourke towing an unsuitable trailer for Aussie conditions.

Words are cheap, check for yourselves.. often things that appear to good to be true, are just that.... merely an illusion.

Cheers
GIC Queensland Show room Guy
Cheers
aka GIC Believer
GIC Camper Trailer's Brisbane showroom guy
07 31721578

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » January 3rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

No Mod problems.

You are only stating facts and not naming or shaming another company.

Isn't it nice when we can all play together.

Rob

Denny27
Here and there

Unread post by Denny27 » January 4th, 2013, 10:15 am

aye.. my fair minded friend we all live and learn.. and learn.. and learn... especially me
Cheers
aka GIC Believer
GIC Camper Trailer's Brisbane showroom guy
07 31721578

Trojan camper
I'm new, be nice!

Need honest opinions about market direct campers

Unread post by Trojan camper » July 3rd, 2014, 12:32 pm

I'm looking at buying a camper and I have found one that suits what I am looking for from market direct campers, but it looks quite cheap and nasty. Can somebody please tell me their honest opinion to help me settle my mind before I purchase a camper from market direct campers.

Eddy

Unread post by Eddy » July 11th, 2014, 6:41 pm

It looks cheap and nasty because it is!

My son has a MDC, got it a few weeks before Easter. Done 3 trips so far and holding up ok. Definitely no match though for my 20 year old Cavalier.
I've had a good look under it, and have no doubt I'll be doing some patch-up welding before too much longer.

If you just remember it is a cheap camper you'll not be too badly disappointed.

Personally for under ten grand I'd prefer to look for a real trailer on the secondhand market.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » July 24th, 2014, 11:21 am

I know 2 (one family member) mdc voyager hard floor campers that we go away with regularly. For the $15k you spend, then the extra 1 or 2 to pimp them to your satisfaction, I rate them very highly.
I am thinking about swapping the trakshak for one.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » July 24th, 2014, 11:32 am

Denny27

Perhaps you can handle some constructive criticism then? I went to GIC looking not long ago. Whilst looking at their top of the range fibreglass jobbie, my dear wife sliced her hand in the kitchen drawer. The cutouts for the drawers in the face of the kitchen look like they are a series of holes drilled in a not quite a straight line, then joined up by a 1mm staino blade on an angle grinder, then almost buffed back with a belt sander. Tell me I'm wrong. The job's that poorly finished, the evidence is still there.
Seriously, IMO that's some of the most disgusting sheet work I have ever witnessed. Then it looks like an unskilled labourer has hit the face of the sheet with the sander as well - I'm assuming to take back the swarf? So now you can't even clean it.
If that's trade work from Oz then I'll pass thanks. Sounds like you might know the camper since it was in the Rocklea showroom?

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 24th, 2014, 10:14 pm

I know not all of us have the skill to do it (not me either but trying anyway!) but for that amount of money you could near build your trailer and buy a tent off ebay. At least that way, at the end of the day you'd have only yours truly to blame if something isn't right or if it breaks.

On the flip side, I dont really think it matters whether you get your camper from GIC or MDC or Jayco or Kimberley or whoever, you spend your hard earned on it, you will still be able to find something wrong with it. Guaranteed. It's human nature. You could put two identical campers side by side and one will be perfect, the other slightly tatty. Tradies are human. One will be a perfectionist, the next will be jamming up his quota. Just pays like everyone said, to do the research, and pick out the one you like, then put what you want on it, and go from there.

There's always gonna be conflicting reports, no matter what brand you choose, so it's up to you in the end to take all the guess work out. Think twice, do once. Especially for lots of money!!!
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

Fitzymuuder
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Fitzymuuder » October 8th, 2014, 10:13 am

This whole post has been a brilliant read!
As you can see, very new here. Only signed up as I am in the market for a new camper trailer and with the mortgage and 3 ferals I am in the cheap and nasty category but obviously want to avoid the heart ache.
So in the under 8k mark I have found GIC, MDC, Skampers and a few more that haven't really tickled my fancy..
Bloody hell I did not think it would be this hard of a decision! :-)
Standing on guards... never thought of that but sounds like a good idea

Does anyone have any other tips like this to help me and other first timers make a decision.

Its hard to pick in these threads but when people are sticking up for their brands its hard to tell who is a salesman or who is an end user. At least Denni has his job title on his post, but I spoke to steve Zammit at MDC at a camping show.. not very impressed with his post sounding like a reviewer.

Cheers

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » October 15th, 2014, 7:56 am

For $8k mate I'd have folding cash in my pocket and hit gumtree and the trading post and do some miles. A quick scan shows I can get the likes of a trackabout deluxe tourer from 2007 that has been fairly well used but is guaranteed to be a family heirloom.

Fitzymuuder
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Fitzymuuder » October 20th, 2014, 7:56 am

GBC wrote: trackabout deluxe tourer from 2007 .
Thank you GBC - Trackabout were not even on my radar due to price. However a second hand one may be an option as you said. i have been looking at the classifieds and havent built up the knowledge yet to be able to pick the difference between "great buy' or "great lemon' haha hopefully research will help me through.
Any one else weigh in on Second hand verses New?

Eddy

Unread post by Eddy » October 21st, 2014, 8:07 pm

Fitzymuuder wrote: Any one else weigh in on Second hand verses New?
Some great deals on the secondhand market lately with all these cheapies coming out.

I could only get 3k for my Cavalier ... someone got a real good CT for very few bucks!!

Around 8 - 10 k there are some great buys around.

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”