How's this for a first camper trailer purchase?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
jasonbenson
Getting to know the place

How's this for a first camper trailer purchase?

Unread post by jasonbenson » July 28th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Hi Guys,

New to this forum and in the market for a camper trailer, looking to spend under $7000

Came across this mob, Market Direct Campers - any thoughts? People are saying that they are Chinese trailers, but when I called today, they told me they build them here. Is this not true? (how am i able to find out if they are Chinese imports or Australian made?)

Also had a look on the website in regards to their warranty? Would you say this is a safe first buy?

Unless stated otherwise, trailers only are covered by a 12 month limited manufacturer's warranty from the original date of purchase.

Items not covered under warranty include
Rust
Wheels and Tyres
Paint
Travel Covers and Straps
General consumables (eg bearings, light bulbs etc)

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Re: How's this for a first camper trailer purchase?

Unread post by dhc4ever » July 28th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Where are you?
If in Brisbane there's a market direct campers outlet in archerfield/coopers plains.
Their warrenty is interesting, what exactly is left after the exclusions?
I had a quick look at a few setup at Rover park, not a real close look, but be aware that there are limited areas you can set up the 18 ft tent with the double width annex; normal caravan parks would be a very tight fit and impossible in a lot of national parks the f***ing bollard fairey has visited.
The tents look to be chinese, can't comment on the trailers.
You need to be aware of how you are going to be using a camper, ie skull dragging it up the toughest tracks, needing winching every km on dirt roads/ beaches/4wd parks/national parks etc to setup and then go play without the trailer.
The underlying thing about campers is you get what you pay for.
Someone who owns one will chime in no doubt.

solidute
Avid Poster

Unread post by solidute » July 29th, 2012, 8:21 am

they could be assembled here and called made here, different from australian made. my camper is a locally built trailer with a chinese tent (its a far horizon brand) next time ill get a full aussie product, that said i couldnt afford the aussie one when i got mine, still cant but..., and it does its job just need to modify bits and pieces and water proofing is a bigger task than it should be.
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy"
-Guillaume Apollinaire

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » July 29th, 2012, 11:12 am

dont be afraid to look at second hand Aussie made campers. you could get a 10 year old top Aussie made trailer in that sort of budget you are looking at and they will still outlast the ones that are being mentioned with the right care of course. I recently picked up an 03 Aussie swag for $14k as the people had put deposit on new camper at the brissy show. these campers normal go for over 20 so there are bargains to be had.

ben2524
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ben2524 » August 1st, 2012, 11:47 am

Hi

I have had a Market Direct camper for 18 months and never had an issue with it seasoned the tent as instructed (wet with hose) and not a drop of water in it. Trailer is excellent have taken to cape and gibb river road and still looks brand new!! I would recommend them to anyone looking at buying a camper customer service is fantastic!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 1st, 2012, 6:46 pm

No offence, but that isn't exactly reputable given its your first post. Perhaps some photos and evidence to back it up would be beneficial!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

jasonbenson
Getting to know the place

Unread post by jasonbenson » August 1st, 2012, 10:06 pm

I'd have to agree with Aaron on this one!
This post started last weekend and i havnt had any genuine people with positive feedback on this market direct group. I had a look in last months camper trailer australia issue and it confirmed for me that these are imported chinese trailers.

Muckinhell ill take your advice and look into the australian made camper trailers (within my budget of 7k) i think everyone is moving towards these now....

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 1st, 2012, 10:49 pm

My logic is simple - for 7k you have to be pushing it to get a decent camper trailer. If there was a company making brilliant trailers for that price wouldn't you think it would be talked about everywhere, and thus everyone buying them? Just look at the reputation that GIC have.

I'd be looking at a second hand one too

Aaron

My 80 Series Landcruiser

ben2524
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ben2524 » August 2nd, 2012, 8:25 am

Aaron Schubert
For Starters what does how many posts have to do with anything!! Secondly do you even own a camper trailer? it's all good to sit here and complain about something, but what credablity do you have to even have an opinion on it!!?? I will post some pics up here shortly!!!

VooDoo

Unread post by VooDoo » August 2nd, 2012, 9:44 am

Market direct would have to be one of the cheapest, nastiest campers around. Poor welding, poor electric's, poor quality everywhere but cheap. If you want a decent trailer look elsewhere. Id rate GIC over the MDT stuff.

I have a castaway camper thats been very good (for sale too, lol). At least i know it wouldn't break. Its done cape york and plenty of off road.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » August 2nd, 2012, 6:49 pm

ben2524

I think some education is called for:

A forum is made up of members contributing. The more one contributes the better known you are, and the more 'trusted' your posts are. Anyone can jump on a forum, sign up in 5 minutes and post reviews about a product. If it is your first post, and you have absolutely nothing to say about the camper trailer except stuff that conflicts significantly with what's said by everyone else we know & trust, there is a good chance that you might not be all that genuine with your comments. Likewise, when someone jumps onto a forum and rubbishes a particular product in their first post, there is a good chance that the post isn't all that genuine either!

Take the post by Voodoo - someone who has been on this forum for a long time and has proven that he is reputable.I guarantee his post about the campers carries more weight than yours.

I don't need to have a camper trailer to make such a statement; its commonly assumed.

However, if you have had a good experience with them, by all means post your photos up, and show us that you aren't just someone trying to drum some business up, or maybe just someone trolling for an argument?!

Aaron

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » September 3rd, 2012, 3:41 pm

^^Good post.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 3rd, 2012, 3:51 pm

^^^^^ Which is another way of saying " He has been told" :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » September 3rd, 2012, 4:57 pm

If you go into Market direct campers. They wont even let you stand on the wheel arch. No quality there. Most fixtures ar screwed on with 8 gauge pan head screws, inlcuding the gas bottle holder. Have a good look at the web pics. They even show you how the welds and fixings are.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » September 3rd, 2012, 5:22 pm

My mate got a market direct camper from Ebay. About 6k from memory.

I have the GIC (MMmmmmm) offroad extreeme, everybody that knows me, knows how I feel about GIC and their campers.

However, (I am going to hate to say this), but my GIC will piss over my mates Market Dirct camper in all aspects......

Rob

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”