Slide on camper build-up

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
stretch4x4

Re: Slide on camper build-up

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:17 am

Can't weld so no but I have found another camper that may give you some ideas
http://www.cm-campers.com.au/ezi-up-camper/
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » March 22nd, 2012, 8:37 pm

Gidday Stretch,
These are what I loosely based my design on. They don't do a dual cab version tho. I have gone rear entry for space effectiveness ( leaves both sides free for kitchen, storage etc) and have gone for a hardshell poptop so the bed can be left set up and simplicity ( no slide out section etc ). Saw them at 4x4 and camping show perth- lots of good features in them.
cheers Tim

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 22nd, 2012, 9:03 pm

Ah cool, I have seen lots of campers but till a week ago never them!
I have been looking for a side entry camper for a while and never found one except for fold out ones.
So yeah plan to do something similar to that but on my single cab should be able to also get away with not having the extendable bit.

Cheers

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » March 22nd, 2012, 9:15 pm

They work really well on single cab with side entry. If you have 2400 tray- 600mm for side entry still leaves you 1800. If you want wider entry or longer bed just project over the cab a bit- 600mm will give you 2100 bed and 900 entry. Side entry on dual cab wasted a bit of room for mine and tho only end up with a 600x600 rear entry area to bed can live with that for the extra usable room I will get down each side !!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 22nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

I like the way you think :)
Yup cruiser tray is 2400 for memory and yeah was thinking an 1800 bed or so should do the trick.
Was hoping to restrict it to that so that it didn't sit much higher than the cab to keep drag down.
The other inspiration is outback campers which you have probably also seen: http://www.outbackcampers.com.au/trayto ... le-cab.asp
That sort of a shape, just with the side entry thing, nice and streamlined (well as far as the brick like shape of a cruiser can be :lol:) and yeah probably with the square scissor lift for better bed space.

Hmm now to start saving..

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » March 22nd, 2012, 10:22 pm

thats what i am thinking as well- tapering the front edge of the bed to a wedge to streamline it- bit like the maggiolina rooftop tents in shape !!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 23rd, 2012, 6:20 am

That is probably a good idea, especially for the dual cab where you will have the bed over the cab!
Hopefully I won't need that so much as mine will all fall in behind the profile of the cab mostly :)

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » March 25th, 2012, 12:13 am

The "Outback" is where i got the idea for a rear entry to the bed !! Took what I liked of the C & M and the Outback and blended together with a few of my ideas to suit what I wanted - just got to find some time to get into the building of it !!!

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » March 26th, 2012, 9:20 pm

What I have done so far- Hilux 09 SR D4D dual cab steel tray back with Tuff 1800 x 1800 tray mount ali work canopy- Got a tray mount canopy cos thought may want to remove canopy and use as a tray back for work- Has not happened !! so removed tray and built skeleton frame out of 75x40 channel to mount canopy direct to chassis. In the process lowered canopy 100mm and forward 75mm which resulted in saving 150 kg weight and approx 2km lt better fuel consumption due to less drag. Also trussed chassis over airbags with skeleton frame to prevent any chance of chassis flex from airbag loadings. Fitted LED taillights, modified fuel tank filler, Anderson plug connection to canopy, fuse/junction box in canopy for power to LED interior lighting, fridge, electric fuel pump for canopy mounted 225lt work fuel tank,guards etc. Canopy can now be removed in 5 mins- disconnect Anderson plug, undo 4 canopy mount bolts and lift off. Slide on camper will be reversal off this so as to make quick and easy to swap for weekend away etc - 15 mins swap over !!!!! Will post pictures of skeleton frame when start canopy build. Aim to have it ready for Mitchell Plateau trip end of Sept but time is disappearing fast :)) Have to get my skates on ha ha!!!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » March 26th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Sounds neat as, look forward to the pictures.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » May 11th, 2012, 9:30 am

How goes the build?

Just thought of this thread as I saw another camper the other day that I thought used a neat mechanism..
I think I might attempt to copy the idea.

http://www.bundutec.com.au/products.php?ptid=1
http://www.bundutec.co.za/rooftop.html

matt82
Part of the furniture

Unread post by matt82 » May 12th, 2012, 8:58 pm

im considering building somthing similar will probably use a lightweight steel and ply frame and with fiberglass

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » May 20th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Thats a pretty neat top Stretch, like the way the awning hangs off the side to get the drip line off the side of the tent. Looks very easy to operate with the electric actuators. Did look into electrics but didn't get to far as actuators seemed to be a bit expensive. Think my design will work as well with gas assist up and power winch down tho !! Pity they couldn't streamline the leading edge a bit so as to not be such a wind brake on the roof. Unfortunately my camper build has to go on the back burner for a while as got roped in to a GQ shorty ground up build with one of my sons having to take precedence !! At least I have my trade canopy to use in the meantime for our trips tho having a dedicated camper back is definitely going to be the next project after we get the shorty done
cheers Tim

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » May 20th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Ah awesome. Yeah I agree a few things they could have done better.

But will certainly work in a few ideas once my few preceding projects get finished. :)

PaulAni
Getting to know the place

Unread post by PaulAni » September 10th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Hi, I am building a slide on camper and am looking for ali cladding, painted, can you let me know where to get it from.

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”