Slide on camper build-up

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
alpha1
Here and there

Slide on camper build-up

Unread post by alpha1 » January 2nd, 2012, 2:06 pm

Hi guys, Am in the process of designing a slide on camper for my 09 dual cab hilux.
Requirements are-
Base module approx 1800x1800 with poptop
Quick set up- bed to remain made up
Sheet aluminium cladding- like ali frame for weight but dont have gear to weld so may go steel or get welder suit ali
Full length lift up doors both sides with awnings over
Central rear door and step to hardshell poptop bed on top of canopy with awning from top of canopy for protected enty
Kitchen set up and fridge down lhs with swing-out kitchen with weber q 120 and single gas burner for water/pots etc, sink with running water
Storage shelves/pantry behind and above. Hot water system with shower outlet
Storage on rhs side for gas bottle, chainsaw, recovery gear, gen set, built in watertank and extra long range diesel tank and general storage.
Thinking of making or buying air rams to lift hardshell approx 1 metre to give approx 1.8 standing room at bed entry for changing etc. Either canvas or vinyl sock for hardshell sides
Anyone done anything like this or any ideas appreciated

edz
Need to get out more

Re: Slide on camper build-up

Unread post by edz » January 2nd, 2012, 4:59 pm

G,Day mate ..
This is a pop top design that we did on my fathers camper van, but could be easily adapted to a flatter roof line of a slide on camper ...the top was folded 1.6 alloy sheet tig welded corners .frame was 50 x 25 Merranti timber ( light and strong ) glued and screwed... the top lift arms are sourced from a caravan spares for aprox $200 ( think they lift aprox 600 high ) then you could use vynil tent section with or with out windows , we had four windows for cross ventilation.... Vynil ranges in price from aprox $18 per mtr upwards ..Rolls are usualy aprox 2 mtr wide ...windows are about $200 ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 2nd, 2012, 9:17 pm

Cheers Edz, that is along the lines i am thinking- loved the idea of air rams to lift and easy to make but problem is equalizing load so they go up square. Now leaning to either scissor lift as per your design or cable and pulley lift system. Because I will only have access to back of poptop when it is down problem with spring or gas assisted scissor lift would be getting it down.
Will probally go with canvas sock for breathability and zip windows for ventilation and also possibly caravan skylight as well.
Leaning towards steel frame for strength with ali sheet cladding- plans slowly coming together but any suggestions appreciated
cheers Tim

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » January 2nd, 2012, 9:59 pm

Ooopps yep forgot about that part for your set up ..I'm toying with the idea of air lift rams for my next camper trailer ( hard top type like a Jayco )...cable lifted staged rams can be a real pain, not to mention almost a $1000 for the winch /rams etc set up ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=625LvecQRbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtgvxD1Lgcw
This is what Ive found and realy do like it , I'm thinking that a light bungy cord on each corner to provide a little bit of tension should help the roof lift evenly... A bit like the guy hanging on to get the roof lift rams even ..it would come down under its own weight pretty well even I would think ...
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 3rd, 2012, 6:34 pm

Think I might go back to the air ram lift system and use a scissor lift in the centre of each side as a lift equaliser so it goes up reasonably square- all rams will be interconnected to help balance loads as well. Scissor lift without spring or gas strut about 1400 long to get approx 1 m lift- My theory is if 1 ram is going up faster the scissor lift will "help" the other ram catch up by assisting it with lift thru the scissor What do you think?

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » January 3rd, 2012, 6:53 pm

Sounds like it would work.
How about fitting the air ram to the actual scissor structure?
Not quite the same but vaguely like this: Image
That way you could put air in either side of the ram to raise or lower it, with the scissor bit doing the hard work..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Nissane
Been here a while

Unread post by Nissane » January 4th, 2012, 12:27 am

I wouldn't use canvas. Vinyl is probably best, so your bedding doesn't get wet when you pack up after a rainy night

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 4th, 2012, 9:20 am

Thought canvas as thats what most camper trailers use but I did think about that and was going to have a plastic or vinyl sheet to pull over the bedding to keep dry tho vinyl sides may work out easier- probally be advised by upholsterer pros and cons as to which way to go - canvas would be stronger with regard to folding etc I think. Poptop caravans seem to use vinyl generally.

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 4th, 2012, 9:35 am

Air ram onto scissor would work only think is would end up being rather bulky alongside poptop. My idea is to have a ram in each corner of the base box lifting straight up with the scissors on either side. The rams would take very little room up- thinking maybe 32mm or 40mm smooth wall tube ram cylinder with 20 or 25mm piston with nylon guides running between cylinder and piston to provide some stability when ram extended, single action up with gravity lower. All air lines would be below the tray and there would be no penetrations thru the tray for dust and moisture sealing- still thinking and all input appreciated

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » January 4th, 2012, 9:41 am

Just wondering if the scissors aren't doing the driving if they will allow the top to equalize..
Might need to make a model to test that.. I can see how it might be a bit bulky but I think that might be an easier problem to solve.
Maybe an air operated ram that pulls a cord that closes the scissor lift..?

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 12th, 2012, 10:08 pm

After investigating pros and cons with air rams and gas struts have decided to go with H/duty gas strut in each front corner lifting a 1800 long scissor vertically with a atv winch to control opening speed and power for closing the hard lid. Checked out a winch at MALZ 680 kg load rating , power in and out, manual and remote control and nice compact design which i can mount under the canopy roof with cable going to top of each strut down round a pulley then into the centre mounted winch- think it should work o.k. just have to play with strut pressures a bit. Guessing the hardshell roof and canvas will weigh in at about 40 kg so no problem for a pair of gas struts load wise only concern is roof lifting square which it should do with a 1800 scissor and a positive lift action and a lifted overhang of approx 800mm at the front (strut end) and about 600 overhang at the rear. going to put the second spare on the back on a swing down frame that will also be the ladder into the box when open with gas struts to assist lifting back up- plans slowly coming together just trying to incorporate ideas to make it compact, light as possible and easy to use. What do you guys think?

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 15th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Well roughed out frame design for the box using 30x30x2 for the floor, 50x25x2 rhs for headboard and back frame, 50x25x2 above the lift up side doors to mount hinges to with 25x25x2 for the connecting framework. Clad in 2mm ali sheet approx weight with hardshell ali sheet poptop conservatively comes in at around 200 kg. Allowing 50 kg for canvas, gas struts, scissor lift, hinges etc total weight around 250 kg. This leaves me approx 350 kg load in camper. Rough weights for fitout are - weber baby q- 20kg, gas bottle- 9kg, Nat luna 74 lt fridge- 40kg (with beer 65kg) bedding 20kg, canopy internal framework 40 kg, kitchen and pantry- 40 kg, 100lt water, tank and pump- 130 kg, awnings- 20kg, shower unit- 10kg- getting tight weight wise and may have to get a gvm upgrade to allow me to stay legal but will have everything I need for comfortable camping with my lovely wife- been fairly liberal with fit-out weights but aware how quickly bits and pieces ad up. Am reasonably happy with overall weight but if I can save any I will- how does this sound to you?

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » January 19th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Hey Stretch, Did you go any further with your camper build- Hoping to get my slide-on under way in the next few weeks- steel frame and ali clad looking at getting a Lincon 250s mig to weld the frame rather than my old stick- anyone got one and are you happy with it

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » January 19th, 2012, 9:10 pm

good luck with the build! Nah mine will remain in the planning stages for a while yet :( currently out testing the current box :p
Plenty of things noted for future designs Haha

alpha1
Here and there

Unread post by alpha1 » March 21st, 2012, 10:24 pm

Well finally got time to go and get the mig for the slide on build-up- ended up with a weldmaster mig/stick 250 amp. just had a play, very impressed so far. First job to replace rusted tray combing rails on one of the trucks to get the feel of it then into the camper build. Paid $1510 + gs. Any one got any feedback on these units??

Return to “General Camper Trailer Tech”