View topic - Camper trailer Axle placement ?

Camper trailer Axle placement ?

Tech and general discussion forum - the place to ask those questions!
Been here a while

Camper trailer Axle placement ?

Probably a dumb question but what are the Qld regulations/spec's on single axle placement on a 7x4 trailer.
i have started on building my trailer but am just wanting to get information on it before i get to it ha ha.
If there isn't any regulations or spec's what is the general rule of thumb for placement of the axle .
Any INFO would be good

cheers Mondo

Unread postby MONDO-100 » November 10th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Here and there

Re: Camper trailer Axle placement ?

I think I came across this on here somewhere, you may have to do a search. I believe it was 1 inch back from centre for every foot of trailer bed. I think I put mine back 4 inches.

Unread postby 85commolux » November 13th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Been here a while

The rule of thumb is 1" back for every foot of the main body of the trailer. The actual rules as written say it must be aft of centre of the main body.

DO make sure yours is aft of centre. I recall registering a trailer in Cairns, I deliberately put the axle close to centre but with the springs fully installed it fell one inch forward. The cow wasn't going to register it until I asked to speak to her supervisor. Trailer registered and cow roasted for being ar too pedantic!

Unread postby FrogInASock » November 14th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Been here a while

Yeah i want to set them dead center , have you had any snaking issues with it not being behind center ?
A mate of mine is helping me build the trailer and he is a boily who has made trailers and goose neck trailers and he reckons he cant see any probs with it being mounted dead in the center.

cheers mondo

Unread postby MONDO-100 » November 21st, 2010, 8:52 pm

Return to General Camper Trailer Tech