the big ad at the top bugs me to no end

Think 33s are small and 2in lifts are for tourers? Discuss hardcore 4WDing with fellow enthusiasts
Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Re: the big ad at the top bugs be to no end

Unread post by Sparkys » September 19th, 2012, 11:05 am

^^I seriously think people read the opening post then ignore every single other post in the thread.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: the big ad at the top bugs me to no end

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 19th, 2012, 12:14 pm

There have been a number of comments passed on to Staff & the IT team about this banner advert, and I'm sure there will be some consideration given to it in due course. Right now, there are other things taking priority over making any changes like this one, so I doubt anything will happen soon. As to why it took so long to get a response, it may have helped draw some notice earlier if the original post had been put in one of those threads that exist solely in order to bring things to Mod or Staff attention quickly, ie:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=105722 or

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=121672

In the meantime, Noscript (& I believe there are some other similar add-ons that work too) will get rid of it if you set it correctly, (you might need to block each page of the slideshow tho) but it may also get rid of the Forum drop down Menu Options and some of the display features for things like Quick Reply and Post Reply etc, so it might be more of a drawback than an advantage - I certainly find not having access to them more of an issue than simply waiting a moment as the new screen paints up before clicking on anything! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » September 19th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Pork Aunt wrote:...If you have Firefox, follow the link below and your problems will be solved in 20sec.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /noscript/
Not a workable solution if you use the drop down menus that come off the "POSTS" link - which I do. It kills them.
I use those drop down menus for getting to "my posts" and "new posts" and "unanswered" etc etc.

If you know how to tell that addon to leave drop down menus then it will be fantastic.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » September 20th, 2012, 4:25 pm

I tried that, but then the big ad loads, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » September 20th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Gee. That's helpful. We were actually trying to get rid of the big ad at the top - LOL - :)
Anyway. "Simple AdBlock" gets rid of the ad AND it keeps the menu system. Just add it as an addon for Firefox then right click the ad and select block on the drop down menu. No more ad, and STILL have all the menu structure.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » September 20th, 2012, 8:36 pm

I never actually get any ads at the side. Never have. So didn't even know there were ones to get rid of.
The big ad appears just as I click on the menus and I end up clicking on it instead. That's why I want rid of it.
However, that no scripts program is still useful information though, as it serves a heap of other services, not the least of which is protection from malicious scripts, so it's very helpful to have anyway. I just wasn't aware we were talking about different ads. Pretty easy mistake to make. Don't sweat it. The info was still really useful for other reasons.

cokeaddict
Here and there

Unread post by cokeaddict » November 19th, 2012, 11:05 pm

bluehilux wrote:install noscript add on in firefox and the side adds wont load unless you allow all page content.
Bluehilux your a legend!
The page has NEVER loaded so fast and no annoying adds to see anymore.
A BIG thanks from me

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 19th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Yay for no script. I get enough adds in my email.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Return to “Extreme Tech”