York Air Compressor

Think 33s are small and 2in lifts are for tourers? Discuss hardcore 4WDing with fellow enthusiasts

York Air Compressor

Unread post by Guest » May 21st, 2003, 10:24 am

Im starting my York Air Compressor install in the next couple of weeks, I’ve sourced the longer stroke PTF210R (with the internal oil reservoir) from a Volvo wrecker for $86 and have a decent idea of where ill mount the thing (small block chev, only alt and ps to work around). I’ve read that the 210 pumps 27cfm at 4000 rpm (that’s a fair amount more than the arb 2.5cfm) but every truck that I know that's installed a York or a/c style compressor has also installed a tank. Correct me if im wrong, but unless I want to run impact tools, I wont need a tank right? An a/c tech head recently told me that without a tank, regulator and blow off/drainage plug, ill have problems with moisture and oil getting in my tyres.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction here?

baby_troupe
Need to get out more

Re:York Air Compressor

Unread post by baby_troupe » May 21st, 2003, 10:50 am

My suggestion would be to use one of your rock sliders as an air tank.
Seems to be the popular option nowadays. I also recommend pressure relief valve, or something will blow.

my45
Been here a while

Unread post by my45 » May 21st, 2003, 11:20 am

If you have a big roll bar, thats also a good tanks :)

Unread post by Guest » May 21st, 2003, 11:39 am

If i dont need to run a tank i dont want to, i want to run a line stright from the compressor to the tyre. I want to know what problems, if any, this may cause. i.e potential oil and moisture in the line, then in the tyre. I know heat, at the compressor end, can blow lines, but what about an oil catching device, that still flows high cfm ?

baby_troupe
Need to get out more

Unread post by baby_troupe » May 21st, 2003, 12:27 pm

I am not sure mate. Darren should be along soon & he may have a few ideas. ;)

wooders

Unread post by wooders » May 21st, 2003, 12:31 pm

ARB - 2.5CFM - LOL they wish....at PSI they do about 1.9CFM and as the pressure increases they drop off faster than the engine driven compressors.
The York210 should pump out about 10CFM - still a lot more than the ARB - and the rate of volume doesn't drop as fast as the pressure does.....more rpm will give more CFM - but I doubt you'll get 23cfm .....
Yes you can run them without an airtank - but they'll be continually cycling which will lead to a reduced life for the compressor.....
I have plans to fit a york to my TJ and ditch the puny ARB compressor - I can throw up some links I've collected if you're interested....

my45
Been here a while

Unread post by my45 » May 21st, 2003, 12:36 pm

Show us wooders, i haven't had anything to do with them so give me the gos.

Unread post by Guest » May 21st, 2003, 12:41 pm

[quote author=Wooders link=board=8;threadid=162;start=0#msg1925 date=1053484284]

The York210 should pump out about 10CFM - still a lot more than the ARB - and the rate of volume doesn't drop as fast as the pressure does.....more rpm will give more CFM - but I doubt you'll get 23cfm .....
Yes you can run them without an airtank - but they'll be continually cycling which will lead to a reduced life for the compressor.....

[/quote]

Im just quoting what i read elsewhere about the 210, maybe they use smaller pulleys, who knows.

What about oil in the lines ?

wooders

Unread post by wooders » May 21st, 2003, 1:31 pm

OK here are the best threads That I've book marked:

1. York Online Manual
2. York Installation
3. York Installation (similar to #2).
4. Installing in a TJ

Although the later 3 pages have similar information they have small variances that are useful info....
Lastly a US company that produces kits to fit - Kilby Enterprises which might give you some ideas too.....

Oil lines?

Unread post by Guest » May 21st, 2003, 6:00 pm

Check the flow rate of the valve in the tyre before you get to worried about how many cfm a minute you can do......

my45
Been here a while

Unread post by my45 » May 21st, 2003, 10:58 pm

Shed Guy, he wants to use it to spray paint and use tools with, Not just to pump up his tires.

Unread post by Guest » May 22nd, 2003, 8:43 am

He doesnt say that at all, he says for blowing up tyres......

A tank becomes a plenum chamber as well, allowing the pressure to be more stable than direct from the compressor.

Moisture will still be in the compressed air, tank or not, but it will be no different to any other compressed air you get.

my45
Been here a while

Unread post by my45 » May 22nd, 2003, 12:32 pm

Sorry :-[ :-[ i was just looking at a post on outerlimits about a compressor for multipurpoe useage. :-[ :-[

Unread post by Guest » May 22nd, 2003, 1:09 pm

some over there use compressors for inflating ego's, thats why they need so much air....... ::)

baby_troupe
Need to get out more

Unread post by baby_troupe » May 22nd, 2003, 1:18 pm

For a change I will leave that one alone.

:-X

Return to “Extreme Tech”