hilux th400/patrol transfer case. work?

Think 33s are small and 2in lifts are for tourers? Discuss hardcore 4WDing with fellow enthusiasts
383hilux
Here and there

hilux th400/patrol transfer case. work?

Unread post by 383hilux » March 6th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Hi,

Having some trouble keeping gearbox/tranny up to my 97 Ln106 Dual cab.

Broke the g52 3rd gear easily under acceleration. Upgraded to a fresh th700 gm auto trans and smoked the 3-4 clutch pack out of it last Sunday. lasted 5 runs down the 1/8 mile slipped badly on the 2-3 shift each run then lost the lot on the 5th.

I'm looking for ideas for a stronger setup: has anyone fitted the th400 trans to a Patrol transfer case and welded it under a Hilux ? would that combo even work under a leaf spring front Hilux ?

Thanks.

BushTuckerNed
Need to get out more

Re: hilux th400/patrol transfer case. work?

Unread post by BushTuckerNed » March 8th, 2012, 5:29 pm

I have a GQ case behind a LS1 auto in my hilux.

Bit of work but its better in the long run i think.

My floor was cut out a bit to much in the first place, but the auto and transfer is a fair bit bigger than the other 5 litre auto and hilux case i had

The main problem is the little stick. It wants to pop up right where the passenger seat mounts

So i spent a bit more coin and got a cable operated transfer lever and you can then put the little stick where ever you want

And new crossmember

Also got a decent handbrake now too
93 Dual Cab Lux - The "Pisslux" - SOLD :(
www.mudrhino.com.au
New V8 luxy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55302
REDLINE IS ONLY A SUGGESTION

383hilux
Here and there

Unread post by 383hilux » March 8th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Nice, How much cab lift did you need?

Is the transfer cable an off the shelf part or custom made? What about the adapter..? Marks?
Is it necessary to take the passenger front seat mounts metal out or could you get away with leaving it there with the cable.
How did you go for clearance on the trans pan to front shaft?

Thanks

BushTuckerNed
Need to get out more

Unread post by BushTuckerNed » March 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Ive got a 2" body lift.

Mines been tucked up as high as it can go though. But i think a body lift will help alot

The transfer cable is a off the shelf item, it was put in by someone else and i dont know the name of it sorry. I can try and find out. It was over 500 bucks i think.

Its a marks adapater

Once the cable operated shifter went in, the seat mounts went back into their originally position. So no you shouldnt have to remove the seat mount.

You could make up some links to push the std shifter forward but i thought it was to much effort.
A GU transfer is also a bit nicer shape than a GQ, it doesnt have the high bridge selector gate for the gears either. Might fit a bit better, but the little stick would still need to be moved forward

I have patrol diffs in the lux, so tailshaft clearance wasnt an issue for me becuase the diff pumkin sits out further
93 Dual Cab Lux - The "Pisslux" - SOLD :(
www.mudrhino.com.au
New V8 luxy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55302
REDLINE IS ONLY A SUGGESTION

Return to “Extreme Tech”