comping up my lux (help pls)

Think 33s are small and 2in lifts are for tourers? Discuss hardcore 4WDing with fellow enthusiasts
Martylux
Getting to know the place

comping up my lux (help pls)

Unread post by Martylux » December 27th, 2011, 9:19 pm

hi am about to start doing up my TOYOTA HILUX 1985 4 X 4. to try some local comps and have a ***** load of fun its going to be slow and i am trying to keep cost down, pls lets start with the min that i would have to do to be a bit comparative.
lets start with what it is and has
TOYOTA HILUX 1985 4 X 4
3Y MOTOR :confused: , POWER STEERING, CUSTOM FRONT BAR, SLIDERS AND ROLL BAR, EXTENDED FRONT DRIVE SHAFT, 12000 POUND IRON MAN WINCH, 34” SIMMEX JUNGLE TRACKER’S, 3” EFS SPRINGS AND SHOCK, 2” EXTEND SHACKLES, DROP DRAG LINKS, ADJUSTABLE TORQUE ROD, CASTOR WEDGES, LOKKA IN THE REAR, CUT DOWN TRY.

things i plain on doing need to be done
* winch rebuild (manly just a clean up was not looked after the best by last owner
* 2-3" body lift (fit 35" rubber maybe just cut guards)
* Exo roll cage (i may have rolled it when out with weeling :crazy: )
* steering arm (it's on the way out)
* Dual battery set up (power for winch)
* air locker for fount
* Steel try or bar back end (still not sure)
* would also like to fit some fatter rubber (not sure how to best do this but it would be good to lower roll over risk)

any other tips would be greatly appreciated this well be my first big build so any tips, links advise or anything worth considering would be right at home below pls keep in mind i am trying not to spend to much and am going to try do what i can my self :)

Black Bull

Re: comping up my lux (help pls)

Unread post by Black Bull » December 27th, 2011, 9:39 pm

My advice, keep it as low as possible, 2" body lift max, move your front diff forward to create the clearance you need.
Steel tray with good rollover protection.

The only other thing I can suggest is a high steer conversion, if you get good flex the standard steering setup is going to give you grief.

The main thing is to get out there and have a go, you'll soon learn what you need. :thumb:

Martylux

Unread post by Martylux » December 27th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Thanks Black Bull i was thinking of a rear to front leaf set up but am not sure how much that well move the front diff, not sure how it well change the flex just something someone sages-ted i well have to look in to it a bit more.
High steer conversion i did not even think of that :redface:

i was looking at your Black Bull's Gen2/3 Lux (Working on it again! ) looks tops so far i must say

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » December 27th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Rear springs up front or a "RUF" will move your diff forward a bit over an inch and give you plenty of clearance for 35's
though if you do this you will have to change to a high steer setup at the same time due to the changed geometry.

Main thing to remeber though is to both at the same time, otherwise you'll end up with the steering box in the wrong place. :thumb:

Martylux

Unread post by Martylux » January 3rd, 2012, 12:18 pm

So i seen some one selling a Braced gq diff complete with rotors and calipers with superior tie rod to suit hilux width, hilux power steering pump and box included he wants 250 (think i may even be able to get him to throw in a rear diff setup aswell :eek: ) . but i don't know a lot about diffs and gearing would i have to change a lot to get the wheels turning or are they something you can just bolt on :confused: :confused:

i have been tould this gets done a lot and would also push my wheels out as the diff is bigger :D which i like (rolling is costly :urgh: )

Martylux

Unread post by Martylux » January 3rd, 2012, 1:13 pm

most likely a bit out of my my skill rang :drool: but i was dreaming a bit and thought i would ask for some advice and any tips links that may be helpful.
having a cold beer :drink: and looking at some old extreme 4wd mags i seen some zooks running twin transfer cases and gq rigid axles or even 60 series diffs :rolleyes:
so i got looking around and i think with a bit of time i could probably get a second transfer cases cheap and axles well finding them may take time :urgh: but it would be worth it ;)
That said i would like to know how much work and $$$ would have to go into making them all fit/work as intended, looking around a bit i have not found a lot of info on this being done to a hilux but i can not see y it would be much different to a zook
once agen any help links advice would be Grate :chimp:

thanks for your time

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » January 3rd, 2012, 7:39 pm

GQ diffs are an option, however there are downfalls there too. for the social wheeler running 35" tyres you'll be fine.
Start getting into bigger tyres with sticky compounds, twin transfer cases etc, you'll still break things.

Keep it simple to start with, otherwise you'll be building it forever.

Build up some lux centers with Cryo treated gears, a set of longfield axles and some ARP or similar steering arm studs and have some fun in it :thumb:

If you decide to upgrade, you'll always have somebody keen to buy your old diffs. ;)

DGR02
Been here a while

Unread post by DGR02 » January 6th, 2012, 3:37 pm

my advice is firstly set aside a budget. I can tell you 1 thing for sure - $8-14k will get you everything you need to make a truck capable of entering tuff truck or any event in oz. But you can easily waste $5-10k on crap that will make it hardly any better than just welding up the diffs in what you have now.... I could easily write a shopping list of parts (new &/or 2nd hand) and a schedule of mods to do. In the end you would have an amazing allrounder... IMO beware dodgy info, there are heaps of wanna-be's that think driving an 'extreme' track at the local 4wd park is hardcore.

Mr_Luxy
Here and there

Unread post by Mr_Luxy » January 11th, 2012, 11:25 am

As with what DGR has said, beware of the hardcore web wheelers. Also if you need to save some coin and are somewhat mechanically minded there are a lot of things that you can do yourself to keep the cost down, its much cheaper to only buy parts than paying someone else to install them aswell.

As for dual transfer case quite a few places in the states and here make dual transfer adapters kits, like marlin crawler and trail gear. If your looking for Axles I would suggest a set of longfields, i know a few people running them and have nothing bad to say about them and i will be purchasing a set very shortly for my own rig.
94 Lux - South African Import. Superchared 4y, 3 inch EFS Comfort suspension, Bullbar, Winch, Custom Snorkel, Custom Tray, Rock Sliders, 35 Creepy Crawlers....... More to Come.

turbo 1hz
Been here a while

Unread post by turbo 1hz » March 27th, 2012, 2:29 pm

brendo79
Avid Poster

Unread post by brendo79 » May 31st, 2012, 12:01 am

Mate i drive my lux hard, local 4wding and at comps. I highly recommend dual transfers there one of the best mods ive done. Have a read of my thread and you might get a few idears..

Brendo
Lexus V8 auto with twin transfers.. Love the sound of a v8 :)
My lux in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MAwqK0 ... er&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My lux. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=107595" onclick="window.open(this.href);ret

DGR02
Been here a while

Unread post by DGR02 » May 31st, 2012, 9:14 am

brendo79 wrote:Mate i drive my lux hard, local 4wding and at comps. I highly recommend dual transfers there one of the best mods ive done. Have a read of my thread and you might get a few idears..

Brendo
duals are good for fun and versatility not for all out competition! You are essentially doubling the input torque into the 2nd t/case which eve with an upgraded chromo input can't take the load and will snap.

brendo79
Avid Poster

Unread post by brendo79 » May 31st, 2012, 9:33 am

DGR02 wrote:
brendo79 wrote:Mate i drive my lux hard, local 4wding and at comps. I highly recommend dual transfers there one of the best mods ive done. Have a read of my thread and you might get a few idears..

Brendo
duals are good for fun and versatility not for all out competition! You are essentially doubling the input torque into the 2nd t/case which eve with an upgraded chromo input can't take the load and will snap.
True, but starting off competing there worth it I think but you have been competing alot longer than me so whats the best option in your oppinion?
My lux in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MAwqK0 ... er&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DGR02
Been here a while

Unread post by DGR02 » May 31st, 2012, 2:11 pm

brendo79 wrote:
DGR02 wrote: duals are good for fun and versatility not for all out competition! You are essentially doubling the input torque into the 2nd t/case which eve with an upgraded chromo input can't take the load and will snap.
True, but starting off competing there worth it I think but you have been competing alot longer than me so whats the best option in your oppinion?
like you we started off with duals, they were good for most stuff but once we started getting the rest of the rig up to spec we found they were blowing far too easily. Gears have there drawbacks too, but if work out how much a comp weekend cost you in real $'s then writing off a whole comp cus you blew another Tcase you quickly learn that a std case with chromo input/output and reduction gears is a whole lot cheaper in the end. As for ratios, man thats a hard one! we have the full marlin / longfield comp setup in ours and it has done 50+ comps without an issue. BUT you will find the casings do get stress cracks once you have good traction from sticky comp spec tires.

brendo79
Avid Poster

Unread post by brendo79 » May 31st, 2012, 5:16 pm

Is yours auto or manual? (highjacking a thread here :) )

Return to “Extreme Tech”