38.5 on a soa 75 series ?

Think 33s are small and 2in lifts are for tourers? Discuss hardcore 4WDing with fellow enthusiasts
Mick.

Re: 38.5 on a soa 75 series ?

Unread post by Mick. » January 13th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Even though his is engineered for 35s it's can still be technically illegal and can be defected still by the police and the RTA. I've seen a few 4wds over the years when I was in the smash repair industry that had engineers certificates but still got knocked back by the insurance company when it was smashed who have then asked the RTA to go over them. :crazy:

I know it's an old post but on the getting it registered in the Northern Territory not that you probably could anyway. That doesn't make it legal to drive in any other state. As soon as you cross that border your just as illegal as before.

Cheers Mick.
[size=150][color=blue]Micks HID Projector Retrofits[/color][/size]
[size=150][color=red]All custom work and DIY kits available.[/color][/size]
[size=150][color=blue]PM me or phone on 0403596123[/color][/size]

michaelwitham
Been here a while

Unread post by michaelwitham » January 16th, 2012, 9:47 am

daym , you would think that as long as it complied with the ADRs if thats right , or if it handled the same or better and that could be tested and proved , its just annoying as i constantly travel to the united states and to redneck country michigan where there is constantly 12 inch lift and 44s that are driven every day and have no problems at all , i lived there for 2 years in a small county where 8 out 10 vehicles were trucks ( dodge , chvevy , ford , toyota) and 6 out of those out were wildley modified and still no problems , drink driving was the biggest offender i just dont get it at all . oh well

cheers for all the responses guys but my dream might have to be cut short with out big $$$$ for ICV engineering

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » February 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Directly from their web site.....

Many minor vehicle modifications can be carried out without specific approval, as long as they comply with the applicable legislation. Modifications that don’t require approval include:

Tyre size and aspect ratio
Additional lighting
Single tone air horns
Air conditioners
Air shock absorbers
Alarm systems
Badge bars
Gearbox (pre 1976)
Mud spats and pebble guards
Mesh stone shields for wind screens and lamps
Body markings and speed striping
Rear-view mirrors
Roof racks
Radio and stereo systems
Sunvisors
Optional manufacturer seating
Seat belts for pre 1969 cars (no full harness types)
Stabiliser bars
Torque rods and traction bars (not semi-tramp types)
Venetian blinds and other internal screening systems are allowed, subject to a clear view to the rear.

applicable legislation being the book that every tire shop has to tell them what tyre will fit on what rim, and this is over ridden by the manufacturers too.
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/i ... p?page=MTZ

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 6th, 2012, 11:10 pm

35" is the max you can go on a passenger vehicle.... Ie 4x4
And that is with engineering.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 6th, 2012, 11:14 pm

michaelwitham, Bigger trucks like the ones mentioned in your post are not passenger vehicles here and come under a different category.....

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » February 9th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Harb you have no reference to the law that states it. You need to justify your statement.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 9th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Many minor vehicle modifications can be carried out without specific approval, as long as they comply with the applicable legislation. Modifications that don’t require approval include:
Tyre upgrades do require engineering unless they fall within the current legislation......which 35's dont...they are an engineerable item.

Ring John At "Consulmotive" in Sydney.... he is one of the most respected engineers in the country, and he will give you all the details.... he works very close with the RTA and will give you all the correct info.
He is probably the toughest Engineer around but will work within the rules..... He is the only person I would ever use.

The trouble is that most people believe that just because 35" is the maximum engineerable size, that they can just bung them on without a cert....not the case

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » February 9th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Ah, sorry Harp. Yes in my original post i said that 8" wide was the legal limit in NSW, so therofore 315x75 was the max tyre you could fit and is why mine has them on. My last email was for Western Australia. I cant find a maximum wheel whidth over here.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Its so dam confusing now all I do is ring up and ask "what can I get away with" :)
there seems to be no sense at all in it..... I think they should allow bigger tyres, but maybe make you do a roadworthy ticket every six months or so

Mick.

Unread post by Mick. » February 11th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Harb wrote:35" is the max you can go on a passenger vehicle.... Ie 4x4
And that is with engineering.
And thats not all 4wds either. Most engineers wont even engineer 35s these days without serious mods to the brakes, steering etc let alone allow them to be fitted to a Hilux or Jimny. :D

The rules are getting so confusing these days that even the Engineers are getting confused which I think is the reason there knocking back a lot of cars and 4wds these days.

Cheers Mick.
[size=150][color=blue]Micks HID Projector Retrofits[/color][/size]
[size=150][color=red]All custom work and DIY kits available.[/color][/size]
[size=150][color=blue]PM me or phone on 0403596123[/color][/size]

michaelwitham
Been here a while

Unread post by michaelwitham » February 12th, 2012, 1:30 pm

i still dont see why you couldnt if it complied to the ADRs with brake test and all that other shiz , as long as it handled the same or better from the factory and could prove it should be alloud but that is just my unintelligent opinion

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm

You sort of can, but its regarded as a one off specific vehicle, so you will need to go through Type Approval , which means its like building a car from scratch.
To get normal rego..ie to be able to drive around the streets like a normal vehicle, you will have to go through the whole lot of normal testing, including Crash Testing , emissions , various Driving testing , Public Risk , All ADR's etc etc...
This will cost you many many tens of thousands of dollars.... so it becomes a bit much for the average player.
You can get specific one of Rego.... sort of like tractor rego, but it is given on a one on one basis, for things like special machinery etc, but it can only be operated in specific area's at specific times.... like driving it across the road from one side of your property to the other ....
Its all a bit much.....been there done that......

Its all a PITA really , but its the way it is sadly....

michaelwitham
Been here a while

Unread post by michaelwitham » February 12th, 2012, 8:21 pm

mate you really summed it up in terms i understand cheers , i think my hopes and dreams of tryna bring big trucks (like american ones) over here is not going to work :( . i think i shud just think of my self lucky hat i got 35s engineered

cheers all for the help and info

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 12th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Yep it really sucks...... you need to get into a Bigger rig Like a chevy or Ftruck where things are a bit different, but then its hard to wheel on Australia's narrow tracks......

I tried a number of ways to make a Comp Truck Fully Legal , but there is always compromises..... the rules are just to tight here in Oz to make anything other than minor mods.........
Funny you build a truck that can traverse the australian outback at anything up to and over 200kph , hit things at speed , roll over and survive , yet they are way to dangerous to drive in suburbia.......
We must be more fragile here.... goodness knows how they survive in the states with their big trucks , radical cars and fire arms in the states....
They say "they are dangerous to pedestrians , yet for years and years I have asked any and all authorities for Data that shows modified 4wds and involved in accidents in disproportionate numbers, and I have yet to see anything at all.....

michaelwitham
Been here a while

Unread post by michaelwitham » February 13th, 2012, 5:37 am

so true mate , the only problem that i have with my lifted trucks is people trying to look over my bonnet at a intersection haha

yes i may as well have to save up for a chev but that will be my last time to the wattagons

btw nice patrol mate , thats some serious work

Return to “Extreme Tech”