advice on roll cages in comp trucks wanted

Think 33s are small and 2in lifts are for tourers? Discuss hardcore 4WDing with fellow enthusiasts
marty monsta
Been here a while

advice on roll cages in comp trucks wanted

Unread post by marty monsta » April 4th, 2011, 10:37 pm

i've got a question regarding roll cages in comp trucks. my reading of the federal design laws is that 4 point cages are exceptable with engineering, 6 point cages that comes down the A piller are not (no cage forward of the B piller) and can not be engineered. 4 point cages that can change into 6 point cages also can't be engineered. however the CCDA rules in regards to registration are and i quote [red is mine],
"4.1.2 VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Except for Open class vehicles [buggies], all vehicles participating in the Event shall be legally registered as a motor vehicle in their State, Territory or Country of origin for use on public roads and shall be maintained in a roadworthy condition as required and in accordance with the vehicle regulations applicable in the State or Territory or Country in which the vehicle is registered.
Any vehicle modification required by the vehicle registering authority to have engineering certification shall have such certification completed and acknowledged by the registering authority before presentation of the vehicle for scrutineering. The Chief Scrutineer may require proof of such acknowledgement or seek the advice of an automotive engineer as required."

as for roll cages. non timed groups A events don't require a cage, timed group B events require a Type 2 (CAMS Manual Schedule J) half cage. this i find ok to understand however, group C events (like cliffhanger and i think, correct me if i'm wrong, the Engel 4WD Challenge Series [when it isn't cancelled]) require a 6 point cage.

this seams like a clash in the rules to me, how can you build a challange or production class truck for a group c event with a 6 point cage and keep it registered and engineered as the rules requie you to. not saying that the rules are wrong, but just want to know how this is possible.

Black Bull

Re: advice on roll cages in comp trucks wanted

Unread post by Black Bull » April 6th, 2011, 5:59 pm

PM sent :thumb:

BushTuckerNed
Need to get out more

Unread post by BushTuckerNed » April 6th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Roll cages dont need engineering

You can build them to suit VIC RTA.....This may of changed in the last few weeks tho

Scrutineering in VIC comps is a joke anyway, if you get scrutineered :rolleyes:
93 Dual Cab Lux - The "Pisslux" - SOLD :(
www.mudrhino.com.au
New V8 luxy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55302
REDLINE IS ONLY A SUGGESTION

marty monsta
Been here a while

Unread post by marty monsta » April 7th, 2011, 1:01 am

Thanks guys. VSI 28 is the document that I have found is regularly used to support that roll cages are legal in vic has disappeared off the vicroads website and if i click on a link to it on other websites I get a msg saying that I'm not authorized to view the page. I'll call vicroads later and try work out what the go is.

warren_shipp
Getting to know the place

Unread post by warren_shipp » May 22nd, 2013, 11:54 am

Just PM me if you have any questions about wanting to know more about Certified Cages for off-road/rally.
http://www.flaminfabrications.com.au
GQ LWB,Cust Bars & Rear Tray, Upgraded Winch, Twin Motor Adaptor,FreeSpool, Vision X LED Lights,CAMS Roll Cage.

Return to “Extreme Tech”