QLD - Dalbeg & Burdekin river area... Day trip what a blast!

Daydreamin' at the desk. Caution - heaps of pics inside! This is where to put those threads telling us about your 4WD trips.
Guss
Admin

Re: Dalbeg & Burdekin river area.... Day trip what a blast!

Unread post by Guss » October 5th, 2010, 10:06 am

dsmith wrote:I live in Ayr, that track is my favourite place for 4x4ing and taking the dirt bikes.

Just be careful of the salt water crocs that inhabit the river all the way up to the base of the Burdekin dam. Don't swim in the river and watch how close you camp to the water!
Thanks for adding that.. we were aware but didn't see any on our visit..

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » October 5th, 2010, 10:08 am

Mighty80 wrote:Nice photo's Guss, and looks like you had a ball. This is where I grew up before I moved to Brissy and we used to go there all the time with the cruisers and bikes. Good times.

There are 3 weirs from memory below the Main Burdekin Dam (The dalbeg weir which is in Guss's photo, The clare weir a bit further down stream and the rocks weir halfway between clare and the service station on the highway. These were put in to service the sugar cane farmers so they could water their cane.

Might have to go back up one day to have some fun.

Cheers Scott
Thanks Scott, seems I'll have to do some more exploring next time :)

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » October 6th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Guss wrote: Image

Guss. ;) [/b]
Love that photo :thumb:
Dave

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » October 6th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Yea it's a goody hey!

Guss. ;)

gordo hzj75
Been here a while

Unread post by gordo hzj75 » October 25th, 2010, 6:30 pm

One of my mates told me there did a trip to the Weir a few weeks back.......... As they pulled up there was a Nice Size Croc (Around the 4 meter Mark) sunning him self near the weir!

We are looking at a camping trip there in a few weeks......... Bit more rain and it should be Very Interesting!

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » October 26th, 2010, 7:21 am

gordo hzj75 wrote:One of my mates told me there did a trip to the Weir a few weeks back.......... As they pulled up there was a Nice Size Croc (Around the 4 meter Mark) sunning him self near the weir!

We are looking at a camping trip there in a few weeks......... Bit more rain and it should be Very Interesting!

Hope you enjoy it great place.. interesting is the word if it's wet.. hope you have a winch lol. I guess you'll be camping a little further back from the weir, (croc), hey!

Guss.

Rastus1
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Rastus1 » November 27th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Hey guys if anyone is heading out that way in the near future would love to tag along... Just moved up from the Sunny Coast to Mission Beach and we are seriously missing Landcruiser Park and some good 4wd...... Willing to drive the three or four hours down from here and camp over night if any one is keen.......

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » December 4th, 2010, 2:09 pm

dsmith wrote:I live in Ayr, that track is my favourite place for 4x4ing and taking the dirt bikes.

Just be careful of the salt water crocs that inhabit the river all the way up to the base of the Burdekin dam. Don't swim in the river and watch how close you camp to the water!
Although it's not publicised, the Crocs are upstream of the Burdekin damn too ;)
in fact most of the rivers in that area are infested with them, to name a few bad ones.
Proserpine River
Bowen River & Terrible Creek
Goganga Plains
(swamp area south of Proserpine) really good Barra fishing there :( )
Bogie River
Gregory River

When on any major river system in QLD & Northern Territory always best to assume that there are Crocs about

beast2h
Avid Poster

Unread post by beast2h » December 18th, 2010, 12:18 am

Rastus1 wrote:Hey guys if anyone is heading out that way in the near future would love to tag along... Just moved up from the Sunny Coast to Mission Beach and we are seriously missing Landcruiser Park and some good 4wd...... Willing to drive the three or four hours down from here and camp over night if any one is keen.......
Hey bud get on www.4x4playfnq.com for forum trips!

cruiser-john

Unread post by cruiser-john » December 23rd, 2010, 11:10 am

crocs crocs crocs i was once told by the croc hunter that used to own the roadhouse on the palmer he wouldnt swim in anything other than a pool or a bath tub north of rocky good advice i reckon. The track going up to the gorge wier as its called up at dalbeg is actually the road that was used to carry the gear in to build the wier it goes through a cattle station so look out for cows. I dont want to seem like a greeny cause i am not one but remember to bring out what you take in. Have fun and keep the shiney side up

Explore Townsville

Re: QLD - Dalbeg & Burdekin river area... Day trip what a bl

Unread post by Explore Townsville » December 18th, 2011, 11:31 am

We went a few months ago. As always, just fantastic! The girls from our camp wandered up the creek and met the campers there, who were from Ayr. They were told that the Irwin's used to go croc catching here before the weirs were built. Such a shame as the river looked sooooo inviting.

Here's a pic of where we camped.
burdekin-river-dalbeg.JPG
More pics and details of our weekend here: http://www.explore-townsville.com/4wd-dalbeg.html

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deni Griffiths

http://www.explore-townsville.com
4WDing - Camping - Boating - Fishing

boxy525

Unread post by boxy525 » December 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

though i might aswell ad my 2 cents and photos,great track best ive found up her so far since moving from vic added some pics of the last trip 3 weeks back lucky we got out just as it started raining the jeep only had to winch out out of one creek it had a little bit of rain night prior but on the way out there was small shower but it just turned to grease ,camped at bluewater weir great camp spot its grass dosent get as hot as all the sand at the gorge saw one croc at the gorge weir
saw no crocs at the bluewater weir obviously that dosent mean there not there but we were fairly active around the water ,just keep your eyes open really and there were plenty of barra

By boxy525 at 2011-12-05

By boxy525 at 2011-12-05

By boxy525 at 2011-12-05

By boxy525 at 2011-12-05

By boxy525 at 2011-12-05

By boxy525 at 2011-12-18
where the ol jeep got stuck

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » December 19th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Loved the trip in there & I agree it would turn real nasty when wet.. Your pictures sure make me feel like packing the Paj & heading back up again boxy ..

Guss. ;)
200 Series VX Twin-Turbo V8 Diesel Landcruiser
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=160755

NM 3.2 DID Pajero with a few Mods. SOLD..

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=34585

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » December 21st, 2011, 8:51 pm

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:wow, Guss.
Looks like a great area to explore, gnarly and ruggered- but bloody dry...

Come and try it now up until the end of April - isn't quite as dry :lol:

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » December 24th, 2011, 10:06 am

cewilson wrote:
woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:wow, Guss.
Looks like a great area to explore, gnarly and ruggered- but bloody dry...

Come and try it now up until the end of April - isn't quite as dry :lol:
If only it was closer mate I'd be there in a flash.. Hope to be in the Ville next July for a couple weeks, on the way back from doing the Cape..

Guss. ;)
200 Series VX Twin-Turbo V8 Diesel Landcruiser
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=160755

NM 3.2 DID Pajero with a few Mods. SOLD..

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=34585

Return to “Trip Reports”