QLD - Dalbeg & Burdekin river area... Day trip what a blast!

Daydreamin' at the desk. Caution - heaps of pics inside! This is where to put those threads telling us about your 4WD trips.
rumpig
Need to get out more

Re: Dalbeg & Burdekin river area.... Day trip what a blast!

Unread post by rumpig » September 23rd, 2010, 4:16 pm

Guss wrote: lol now I'll tell you this it's in from the Dalbeg track & was the Burdekin Weir... If another weir it's bloody similar did you travel up the tracks above as it's the only way in?

Guss.. :confused:
i'm thinking / pretty sure they are 2 different places now...lol.
looking at a map it shows Dalbeg further down stream with a dirt track stopping at what i think is the Burdekin River, probably where you've taken that pic maybe?
i was at the actual Dam further upstream from where i'm thinking you've taken your pic, you can access it via a bitumin rd. from the hwy. that runs from Charters Towers to Townsville. i crossed over the dam and then followed dirt tracks until i got onto the Gregory Developmental Rd., about halfway between Charters Towers and Emerald.

R&R
Here and there

Unread post by R&R » September 23rd, 2010, 9:28 pm

Are there good camping spots up there i recon im gunna go and have a look next week seem i got it off.

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » September 23rd, 2010, 9:49 pm

R&R wrote:Are there good camping spots up there i recon im gunna go and have a look next week seem i got it off.
not sure what's where Guss went, but there is (or was back in 2006 when i was there) a grassey campground at the dam that has showers and toilets. this place is half surrounded by a few houses, so it's not bush camping if that's what your after, but was a nice little spot for us to overnight at on our way home from the Cape.

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » September 24th, 2010, 8:11 am

R&R wrote:Are there good camping spots up there i recon im gunna go and have a look next week seem i got it off.
O'k so not same place.. R&R you could camp there but no toilets or the like..

Guss. ;)

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » September 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm

wow, Guss.
Looks like a great area to explore, gnarly and ruggered- but bloody dry...

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » September 24th, 2010, 9:20 pm

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:wow, Guss.
Looks like a great area to explore, gnarly and ruggered- but bloody dry...
Sure is mate, I'd have loved to spend more time on the tracks but gives me reason to go back hey!

Guss. :D

waz65
Been here a while

Unread post by waz65 » September 25th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Different spots , "rumpig's " is the dam wall & "Guss's " is the weir further down , both beautiful spots though , would love to go there again

beast2h
Avid Poster

Unread post by beast2h » September 27th, 2010, 8:32 pm

both different places! we were down the river further from the main dam wall we were at the weir. the weir has no toilets or showers, but a great place to camp. i would rather camp at the weir than at the dam its much nicer! and a 4wd track in!

AJS1
Avid Poster

Unread post by AJS1 » September 29th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Hi Gus
Just back from my trip ,over 10.000 kls mud, water and little dust :) , looks like you have had some fun ,Great pics and the Paj looks great.
Thanks for the help , :thumb:
AJS1 AL

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » September 29th, 2010, 12:38 pm

AJS1 wrote:Hi Gus
Just back from my trip ,over 10.000 kls mud, water and little dust :) , looks like you have had some fun ,Great pics and the Paj looks great.
Thanks for the help , :thumb:
AJS1 AL
No worries Al, looking forward to seeing some pics of your trip mate.
Yea the Paj just keeps on impressing me mate with a few mods they can keep up with anything.

Guss. ;)

dsmith
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by dsmith » October 4th, 2010, 6:40 pm

I live in Ayr, that track is my favourite place for 4x4ing and taking the dirt bikes.

Just be careful of the salt water crocs that inhabit the river all the way up to the base of the Burdekin dam. Don't swim in the river and watch how close you camp to the water!

NQCruiser
Been here a while

Unread post by NQCruiser » October 4th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Hey dsmith, I'm in Ayr too. I've been wondering how hard it is to go up there by yourself for a look? I've got a HJ60 cruiser with 2 in lifted springs & a winch but no lockers. Do you reckon it would be dumb to head up there on my own one day for a drive? Or would it be better to go up with a group who knows the way?

beast2h
Avid Poster

Unread post by beast2h » October 4th, 2010, 8:26 pm

you will be fine! the track is pritty straight foward! when its dry

Mighty80
Here and there

Unread post by Mighty80 » October 4th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Nice photo's Guss, and looks like you had a ball. This is where I grew up before I moved to Brissy and we used to go there all the time with the cruisers and bikes. Good times.

There are 3 weirs from memory below the Main Burdekin Dam (The dalbeg weir which is in Guss's photo, The clare weir a bit further down stream and the rocks weir halfway between clare and the service station on the highway. These were put in to service the sugar cane farmers so they could water their cane.

Might have to go back up one day to have some fun.

Cheers Scott

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » October 5th, 2010, 10:03 am

NQCruiser wrote:Hey dsmith, I'm in Ayr too. I've been wondering how hard it is to go up there by yourself for a look? I've got a HJ60 cruiser with 2 in lifted springs & a winch but no lockers. Do you reckon it would be dumb to head up there on my own one day for a drive? Or would it be better to go up with a group who knows the way?
As beast2h says you'll be fine, in saying that having at least 1 other fourby with you is a good idea.

Guss. ;)

Return to “Trip Reports”