Our Simpson Trip July 27 to Aug 01 - Very very Wet

Daydreamin' at the desk. Caution - heaps of pics inside! This is where to put those threads telling us about your 4WD trips.
ggreenie
Been here a while

Unread post by ggreenie » August 27th, 2010, 12:07 pm

WOW awesome. Hope the desert looks that good when we get to see it.

Looks more like a cape trip than a desert trip...

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » August 27th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Ok, last lot of the photos going up now.

The trip we did was from Adelaide, Roxby Downs, up the Oodnadatta, to Mount Dare, Dalhousie Springs into the Simpson.

6 Days and 5 nights from Dalhousie to Birdsville 595 k's with an average speed of 15k's per day. 3 recoveries, with 2 of them being on the lakes.

2 Alternators stopped working, the workaround for mine was to swap the cranker battery with the other 100 series with us.

After being stuck in Birdsville for 2 days due to repairs and closed roads, we headed home along the Birdsville track, 2 hours after it opened.:waycool:

Only to find all the creeks were still flowing, and just as much water here as in the Simpson :p and the average speed to Mungeraine was 40k's

At the Cooper Creek crossing we were happy to get the trailers taken across on the flat bed truck.

This group of 4 had never travelled together before and from varied backgrounds and got on very well.

This was a trip that was far from what we expected, but loved how it turned our in the end. 2 of us are now planning a trip up to Kakadu next year.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the photos, just happy too share with others and to see it like it has probably never been before, according to the Elders.

Cheers from Barra.

100 Series F&B Air Lockers, Chuck Wagon, Steel Bar & Rear Bar, Dual Spares, Cooper STT's, XGS Gold Shocks, Poly Air Bags, LR Tank & Lots more.
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=7577&im=1&s=on[/url] :thumb: Our Shed
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

muffin man
Here and there

Unread post by muffin man » August 27th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Excellent photo's and what a trip.
Could you avoid driving thru the salt lakes or was that your only choice? Looking at the photo's I'm buggered if know how you even got out.
More photo's of the mud would be good.
MM

Corindi

Unread post by Corindi » August 27th, 2010, 4:38 pm

wow! That is the best lot of trip photos I have ever seen.

This one is just awesome.

www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

MRS. FNB
Been here a while

Unread post by MRS. FNB » August 27th, 2010, 4:44 pm

x 2 Corindi, that is a postcard shot.

I love the Simpson, it's my favourite place to 4wd. Thanks for sharing the photos.
No Chris, you've spent enough already. :cry:

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » August 27th, 2010, 4:59 pm

yep,
def done well !!!!!
the next 4 weeks will go reeeeeeeal slow now

Foo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Foo » August 27th, 2010, 6:03 pm

That's a brilliant report Barra!!:waycool:

12fishy
Been here a while

Unread post by 12fishy » August 27th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Wow, what an orsm trip! great trip report too...If you look back at your trip you prob wouldn't have it any other way... well to be dry every night would of been good.. Thanks for sharing

Fishy
Check out the 105 Series Land Cruiser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9kUcIYhhuw

MrHilux
Been here a while

Unread post by MrHilux » August 27th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Absolutely fantastic photos! What a great trip with all that water. :thumb:

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » August 28th, 2010, 7:01 am

Nice pics, not many folks have the privilege to see the desert like that! Leaving in 3 weeks to do Hay River, should be pretty green but hopefully not THAT wet.

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » August 28th, 2010, 8:36 am

wow, what a great trip, awesome pics.

how do find the roof top tent on the trailer? do you have legs for the trailer to stabilise it at night?
[color="Orange"]smart has the plans

stupid has the stories[/color]

Hammertime
Here and there

Unread post by Hammertime » August 28th, 2010, 8:41 am

Concur Barra, great photo doco. Did you wack the lockers on much and if so do you reckon they made a big difference in clearing the lake crossings? Also did the 200 use its MaxTrax or just the shade cloth in getting out?
P.S. How did you crank the other 100 once you swapped batteries and gave your mate the flat one?

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » August 28th, 2010, 9:14 am

grimbo wrote:wow, what a great trip, awesome pics.

how do find the roof top tent on the trailer? do you have legs for the trailer to stabilise it at night?

Hi Grimbo.

Yes there are 2 legs at the rear of the trailer, but whilst it's hitched didn't really need them, the jockey wheel has been upgraded to a stronger one for support there as well. There are bracing bars to keep the frame firm, but the bolts on that corragated away, so looking at replacing them with something better and quicker.

We moved it onto the trailer for the times you want to set up and leave it setup. The frame has 2 heights so we can add the 2 rooms on, and access the trailer lid. Or leave it down for a quick setup, which also makes it real easy to pack up, because of it's lower height.

Cheers
100 Series F&B Air Lockers, Chuck Wagon, Steel Bar & Rear Bar, Dual Spares, Cooper STT's, XGS Gold Shocks, Poly Air Bags, LR Tank & Lots more.
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=7577&im=1&s=on[/url] :thumb: Our Shed
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Hammertime
Here and there

Unread post by Hammertime » August 28th, 2010, 9:20 am

Aren't ya going to bite my question Barra?

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » August 28th, 2010, 9:36 am

Hammertime wrote:Concur Barra, great photo doco. Did you wack the lockers on much and if so do you reckon they made a big difference in clearing the lake crossings? Also did the 200 use its MaxTrax or just the shade cloth in getting out?
P.S. How did you crank the other 100 once you swapped batteries and gave your mate the flat one?

Hi Hammertime

I used the rear locker a lot because it's there to use, one of the guys said try it without it, and I did, and I felt a great difference. My response to him was that was like going to Kings Cross without protection...;)

The Cruiser still did easy, but with the locker on, just made the tricky parts a lot more relaxed.

The other 100 did the trip very easy, and he just had all the standard TJM suspension, but was travelling alone and with very minimal camp gear. We gave him a trophy for cleanest, neatest, and lightest crossing. But won't mention changing his fan belt, after getting the award.

He tried the Maxtrax before I got to him, and said they didn't help. When I placed the shadecloth under the front wheels there was 3-4 inches of clearance under the tyres. He was seriously bellied out.

It's hard to tell if it helped in all the excitement of the recovery, after unhitching the trailer, and snatching him out, we stayed connected until reaching the other side. But I had them with me, so just used it.

As for cranking the other 100, we used jumper leads from his other battery. We did 4 change overs before reaching Birdsville.

Cheers
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Return to “Trip Reports”