(NSW) Yuraygir national park

Daydreamin' at the desk. Caution - heaps of pics inside! This is where to put those threads telling us about your 4WD trips.
woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

(NSW) Yuraygir national park

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » July 21st, 2009, 8:36 pm

YURAYGIR NATIONAL PARK

Just 30 minutes drive north of Coffs harbour will put you in one of the most pristine environments the north coast has to offer. The Yuraygir national park has a wide variety of options available to all travellers. Travel 43km north of Coffs Harbour and pass the Yuraygir turn off on the right, a further 6km until you reach Mcphillips Road on the right. Follow this graded dirt road for approx 2km where you will veer right onto Newfoundland road, look out for the first signs of wild life as you travel a mere 1.7km turn left onto Yellow cutting road, further along at the 3km mark veer right staying on Yellow Cutting Road. As you follow this road to the end, watch for native flowers and look how diverse the north coast rainforest is. You will see cabbage palms in with coastal Banksia, and at the right time of year the iridescent yellow of the wattle will stand out amongst tall gums. Upon reaching the gate, walk across the timber bridge and to the left you will see ‘’The Keyman’’. Legend has it that a Lithuanian tightrope walker-Jonas Slovenski-hand made this statue in memory to his maker. He came to this forest looking for solitude in the 1960’s and earned himself a reputation as a fearless axeman, mostly because he worked in the nude- wearing nothing but a pair of gumboots. When he wasn’t cutting timber he exercised his balancing skills on cables stretched high above the trees. Local 4wders started hanging old keys on the statue, and so the name stuck. Retracing your steps back to Newfoundland road, turn left and continue on until you come to a T intersection. By turning left here onto Barcoongere Way it will put you in the direction of Yuraygir National park. The pine forests that surround this park are constantly being logged so travel with your lights on and use caution as you might come across the odd log truck, best thing is to pull to one side and let him pass. Many of the side roads are in good condition, but with a bit of water on them they can become impassable.
Following Barcoongere Way for 1.5km, the road swings around to the right and for the next 5km you will have ocean glimpse, and if lucky you might spot the odd brumby and cattle that call these forests home. All these pine forests and timber stands are controlled by State Forest, but once you cross the grid, you are now entering Yuraygir National Park, so adhere to all regulations. A further 2.5km will see you at some information boards. The road straight on will take you to a wonderful camping area complete with pit toilets, bbqs and some great shady camping areas. It is possible to walk from these camping spots to pristine beaches along some designated track. Here at the information board’s large rubbish bins are located for campers to dispose of any rubbish and free firewood is supplied for anyone camping. Turning right at the boards will take you further into Yuraygir towards the coast. This is an ideal spot to lock your hubs into 4wd. When you reach the start of the sand, National Parks have gone to great lengths by installing a vehicle boardwalk to drive on to minimises the damage that 4wds create here. Along here you might encounter emus, large goannas or see a wide range of sea birds circling for prey. Upon entering the beach, you need to swing to the left, as no vehicles are permitted south from here. Most of the beach has a hard surface but care still must be taken and road rules still apply here. Look out for other beach users, fisherman and kids playing on the beach- the best way is to slow down and enjoy the 2km drive north up the beach. National parks have fenced off several areas to protect the little Tern nesting areas. Here to the left you will see the entrance to the Pebbly Beach camping area. Upon reaching the creek, it should be checked for its depth first- a great one for the passenger. Camping here is first class, wether it be overnight or the maximum 6 week stay. Facilities include pit toilets, designated fire pits and great grassy camping areas. Fees are collected daily by the local ranger if camping, but day visitors are more than welcome. There is no fresh water or firewood available here (firewood can be collected at the information boards), so everything needs to be carried in if camping here. The drive north along the beach is controlled by the tides, so check these before leaving Coffs Harbour. Retracing your steps is simple, turn left at the information boards and follow Barcoongere Way for 17km. This will put you at the Pacific Highway.Image
Where to goYuraygir National Park is situated approximately 40 kms north of Coffs Harbour.This National Park covers a coastal strip 60km north along the coast from Red Rock to Angourie, and is roughly 10km wide. Parts of this National Park are in a marine sanctuary zone, so there are limits to where you can camp, fish and drive. In the Yuraygir Park, there are 2 camping sites, Pebbly being the more remote, due to access, but there is also the Station Creek camping area, where it is accessible with a 2wd vehicle.

When to go
This trip can be done all year round. The winters are mild- so pack a jumper. The summers can get hot.

Fuel and supplies
Woolgoolga has several supermarkets and fuel is also available. If camping the only facilities are bbqs and pit toilets. Firewood is available.

Attractions
Flora and fauna, coastal views, stunning mountain views, great fishing.

Useful Maps
Northeast Region......Hema
Woolgoolga.............95374n
Red rock...............95383s

KRUIZA
Been here a while

Unread post by KRUIZA » July 21st, 2009, 9:22 pm

Very well done Kev. You're not wrong, it is indeed a pristine environment around those parts. Pebbly Beach would definitely be in my top 10 campsites.
Cheers
80 Series [b]"THE VODKA KRUIZA"[/b]

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » July 21st, 2009, 9:25 pm

thanks, people probly get sick of hearing about the place, but it just is that good....

LordMayhem
Part of the furniture

Unread post by LordMayhem » July 21st, 2009, 9:31 pm

only been there once didn't explore alot but liked what i saw....hopefully heading there again soon with pup80
89 GQ Patrol, 35 inch Mud Trek's, dual batteries with 3 inch lift, front CIG locked, Barred up with a Mark 111 Grande 12000lb winch.

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » July 21st, 2009, 9:51 pm

LordMayhem wrote:only been there once didn't explore alot but liked what i saw....hopefully heading there again soon with pup80

no worries, he was the one that inspired that report....
the maps have been organized for the trip.................

LordMayhem
Part of the furniture

Unread post by LordMayhem » July 21st, 2009, 10:00 pm

cool well hopefully i get my water troubles all sorted and still have fuel money in time hahaha
89 GQ Patrol, 35 inch Mud Trek's, dual batteries with 3 inch lift, front CIG locked, Barred up with a Mark 111 Grande 12000lb winch.

Pup80
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Pup80 » July 22nd, 2009, 9:02 pm

Thanks for that Kev. I am lookin foward to the weekend away.

Corindi

Unread post by Corindi » July 24th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Hi Nat,
No pass required to drive on the beach to get to Pebbly. If you unlucky enough to get checked by NP, they will charge $7 entry fee, but I have never heard of anyone getting asked for it unless they are camping there, and even then it's rare. I just got back from a few days at minnie waters - Northern Yuraygir, and they didn't even ask for the vehicle entry fee. (although I have an anual pass)

If you are doing some exploring around Barcoongere, be aware that some of the tracks lead into "no go zones" and although there is no signage, National Parks have hidden cameras that will get your rego number and send you a fine. Best to carry a map with you and stay out of the green area.

If you go with Jamie, call in and I can lend you a current map. Think Jamie knows where my place is.

Cheers,
Dave
www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » July 24th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Pup80 wrote:Thanks for that Kev. I am lookin foward to the weekend away.

yep, so am i........

all done for you...

Curtly
Avid Poster

Unread post by Curtly » August 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm

Corindi wrote:Hi Nat,
No pass required to drive on the beach to get to Pebbly. If you unlucky enough to get checked by NP, they will charge $7 entry fee, but I have never heard of anyone getting asked for it unless they are camping there, and even then it's rare. I just got back from a few days at minnie waters - Northern Yuraygir, and they didn't even ask for the vehicle entry fee. (although I have an anual pass)

If you are doing some exploring around Barcoongere, be aware that some of the tracks lead into "no go zones" and although there is no signage, National Parks have hidden cameras that will get your rego number and send you a fine. Best to carry a map with you and stay out of the green area.

If you go with Jamie, call in and I can lend you a current map. Think Jamie knows where my place is.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave.....You told me about this place end of last year, the missus and I took the little fella and had a ball. Your right about the vehicle permit, when Rob got around to our site to collecrt our fees, he waived the vehicle permit. He also showed us the photos of all the trucks that he has pulled out of the river crossing. The only thing we missed was the key man.

You mentiuon in your post "no go areas" and cameras put there by NPWS. Where are they? We were going to do a bit of driving around Barccongere, it seems like I'm glad I didn't.

The missus and I will be at Pebbly again this xmas so I hope to meet some of guys if your down there this year....only 4 months away, not that I'm counting:thumb:

Curt.

Corindi

Unread post by Corindi » August 3rd, 2009, 5:30 pm

Apparently the cameras are moved around at different times. I imagine they would be on the tracks where people used to put the mud crab traps in at station creek and I have heard that fisheries have them in the sanctuary zone in the north arm of red rock creek. Glad you enjoyed yourself, will probably catch up with you out there at xmas.
www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » August 3rd, 2009, 7:20 pm

Top report Kev.

Was out there on the weekend and unfortunately some kind person/s have rearranged the Keyman statue.

Cheers Al

Do everything twice, just in case you got it wrong the first time

Pup80
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Pup80 » August 3rd, 2009, 8:16 pm

This is a top spot was out there for the weekend wanted to stay for the week. We are all ready planing the next trip up there.

tinkera
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tinkera » August 3rd, 2009, 9:15 pm

.heading down to brooms head camping ground 31st august till 5th might check out some of those spots.how's the beach around sandon river has there been much errosion

vazelky
Been here a while

Unread post by vazelky » August 3rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

nicely done kev, haven't been there for a couple of years now, but me and the boys (all of us were single guys at the time) used to camp there every Australia day for a week of fishing, surfing, snorkelling, and a triple j hottest 100 celebration. awesome spot. pity the tracks out back of pebbly that head north to wooli river mouth are no longer accessible.
"the good old days-god i want another 4runner"
"Live Life,Follow Your Dreams."-Peter Brock(R.I.P.)

[url]http://au.youtube.com/user/vazelky[/url]

Return to “Trip Reports”