The Simpson Desert April 2015

Daydreamin' at the desk. Caution - heaps of pics inside! This is where to put those threads telling us about your 4WD trips.
Duke1340
Been here a while

The Simpson Desert April 2015

Unread post by Duke1340 » April 18th, 2015, 8:24 am

Hi everyone,
Just got home on Thursday from my Simpson Desert trip.
Weather was great, and only a couple of vehicle issues.
Total kilometres = 6,100
Total fuel = 850lt
Total time = 14 days
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 8.11.29 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 8.09.41 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 8.10.29 am.png
Have started planning my next trip already.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure Before Dementia"

Tufftruckin
Here and there

Re: The Simpson Desert April 2015

Unread post by Tufftruckin » May 4th, 2015, 11:28 pm

Looks like a great trip mate, whT sort of issues did you have with your vehicle

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » May 5th, 2015, 9:09 am

Hi,

Just some minor stuff.
One flat tyre and generally things vibrating loose, just had to quickly go over everything with a spanner each morning to be safe.
All in all a fantastic trip, can't wait to do it again.
We were very happy with fuel consumption, Mt Dare to Birdsville only 110 litres, thought the V6 Triton might have chewed more than that in the sand, we left Mt Dare with 220 litres on board.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 5th, 2015, 11:06 am

Duke1340 wrote:.....Mt Dare to Birdsville only 110 litres, thought the V6 Triton might have chewed more than that in the sand, we left Mt Dare with 220 litres on board.....
Don't think that means you took way too much fuel; I reckon you were pretty well on the mark! ;)

The thing many people forget when planning to travel out there is that you hafta cater for the possible/likely 'what ifs'. There just isn't anywhere between Mt Dare & Birdsville to re-fuel... you need to take enough fuel aboard for all the 'what ifs'.... What if the sand turned out to be hot, soft, & fuel sapping? What if for whatever reason; weather/floods, medical, fire, etc, you'd been forced to turn back from somewhere close to 'almost across'? With 200-220 litres aboard you would've had enough fuel to make it back, plus (maybe) a little in reserve to allow an 'escape' via Colsons Track or all the way out to Oodnadatta if it came to that. :thumb:

That said, looks & sounds like you had a great trip, especially since you are already planning the next one. Simpson again? Or somewhere else this time?? Lotsa different ways to cross the Simpson if you've got the urge, & the more time you spend out there the more the desert dust seems to get under your skin (& into the air cleaner, bearings, air con ducts, into the dash/instruments, into the swag & sleeping bag.... :D ) Glad you had a good one!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 5th, 2015, 8:09 pm

With vibrations...I have had this problem with the Iron man roof rack I have.
It clamps in my gutter and works its way off the rubber protectors. I have to loosen it and re seat it every now and then so the bracket doesn't start wearing the paint off... Cant tighten it any more than it is so have been looking for alternatives.

Did you have any issues with the roof rack?
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » May 7th, 2015, 8:28 am

Peter
You are right about the fuel, we sat down and worked out what our fuel usage would be and then we doubled it.
Funny you should mention air cleaners, before we left I replaced the scoop on the top of the snorkel with a tractor pre filter, worked a treat, checked the under bonnet air cleaner everyday and not a speck of dust got past the pre filter.
Not the most attractive accessary very agricultural, so much so that my wife made me take it off as soon as I got home, said it looked too redneck.
Definitely doing the Simpson again, but might do something else first, but haven't decided yet what.
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 8.18.41 am.png
Monkeybucket
I had the same problem with the Rhino Rack, had to tighten it up nearly every day, might think about using some Loctite on the bolts before the next trip.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sean1507
Getting to know the place

Unread post by sean1507 » July 6th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Hey mate where about did you go? Looks like good fun, I'm planning our trip for next year and trying to put a timeline together..

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » July 9th, 2015, 6:06 am

Hi Sean,

Yes mate it was a great trip, 6100 kilometres and a total of 14 days.
Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 5.25.49 pm.png
We did the trip in April and crossed the Simpson west to east, the weather was perfect 24 during the day down to just 10 at night couldn't have asked for better.
What vehicle are you using?
The MK went like a dream, had 18psi all round but still had to get the MaxTrax down a couple of times.
If you've got any other questions just let me know.
Cheers
Rod (Duke)

sean1507
Getting to know the place

Unread post by sean1507 » July 9th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Thanks Rod

Did you come back down through Finke to Dalhousie springs? How long all up did it take you to go from Alice Springs to Camerons Corner? Thats the part of the trip that I'm thinking about doing but have been looking into it more and don't know if ill have the time and might be better off leaving it until the next trip..

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » July 10th, 2015, 7:04 am

Hi Sean,

We did Alice to Mt Dare in one day, via the old Ghan railway and Finke, but you need to leave Alice real early or you will be driving in the dark by the time you get to Mt Dare (not a good idea).

We spent the night at Mt Dare and the next three nights in the Simpson (via Delhousie Springs and The French Line) the last night we camped just west of Big Red.

Next morning was spent playing around on Big Red and having a look at Birdsville (had to try a camel pie) then we headed off to Cordillo Downs were we camped again.

From there we did the Dig Tree, Innamincka then down to Cameron's Corner. That was a long day and the last two hours were driven in the dark, if I was going to do it again (which I am) I would camp at the Dig Tree and get to Cameron's Corner earlier.

DAY 1 Alice to Mt.Dare
Day 2 Simpson Desert
Day 3 Simpson Desert
Day 4 Simpson Desert
Day 5 Big Red to Cordillo Downs
Day 6 Cordillo Downs to Camerons Corner

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rod (Duke)

CrankHead
Here and there

Unread post by CrankHead » July 13th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Hi Rod,

we are also planning a trip next year. What vehicle prep did you do ?
What camping solution did u use ?

many thanks.

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » July 14th, 2015, 5:50 am

Hi Crankhead,

As far as vehicle prep goes, we:
did a full service including brakes, diffs etc;
fitted a dual battery setup;
fitted a tractor pre-filter to the snorkel;
fitted new shocks all round (took the old ones as spares);
took a spare alternator and starter motor (the MK's an auto);
took the back seat out for more internal space (as there were only 2 of us in the car), and
carried all the normal recovery gear.

Here is a photo of our camping setup.
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 8.10.29 am.png
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)

CrankHead
Here and there

Unread post by CrankHead » July 14th, 2015, 8:21 pm

thanks mate, we are looking at going next year same time as urs.

How cold did it get ?

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » July 15th, 2015, 10:57 am

The weather was perfect, 24 during the day 8 at night.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)

stillgoing
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stillgoing » February 7th, 2016, 10:18 am

Gday Duke we are going over early aprill towing a light weight trailer I know there is a few people who frown on this, but did you see many with trailers also what track and how long did it take you mate. edit just re read your posts so 3 nights and french line thanks.

Return to “Trip Reports”