[TRINIDAD] Trails In My Country <UPDATED 1st/11/2013>

Daydreamin' at the desk. Caution - heaps of pics inside! This is where to put those threads telling us about your 4WD trips.
DooMRR
Here and there

[TRINIDAD] Trails In My Country <UPDATED 1st/11/2013>

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 4:49 pm

As requested, here is a post of some of the off-roading trails in my small homeland of Trinidad and Tobago. We normally have an unofficial rating system for trails which we use to rate the difficulty.
Grade 1 – Very easy to easy trail. Stock vehicle friendly trail. Regular street tires can be used to get through. Good introduction to off-roading for the beginner.
Grade 2 – Moderate trail. Stock vehicles can make it through with proper driving techniques. Vehicle must be equipped with at least decent All Terrain tires. A lot of the basic driving skills can be learned on these trails.
Grade 3 – Difficult trail. Moderate to heavily modified vehicles only. Must have a fair share of driving skills to attempt these trails. Mud Terrain tires only. At least one or two vehicles should be equipped with a winch when on one of these trails.
Grade 4 – This is basically a grade 3 trail, but with the DANGER aspect of it. For example, your vehicle has a chance of falling over, sliding into deep ditches, etc. For highly experienced drivers only.
Grade 4+ - Basically, a grade 4 trail with serious dangers involved.

So let’s begin when I started off-roading. (I’ve lost a lot of data on my computer due to it hitting the ground quite hard. Luckily, I had a small backup of some of my runs. We normally try to go on a trail every month).
Last edited by DooMRR on November 2nd, 2013, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DooMRR
Here and there

Re: [TRINIDAD] Off-Road Trails In My Little Country :)

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Indian Trail : Grade 1 (Can turn to a grade 2 or 3 depending on weather conditions).
This is a very easy run. However, when your parents now lend you the van and you are going to take it offroading for the first time, this Grade 1 trail can seem like a Grade 4+. This was the first time I ever got a chance to use my 4WD system and since this time, I’ve been addicted to the sport.

This hill climb can make even V8's with 35" Super Swampers struggle in the rain. It's dry at the moment however:

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Santa Flora : Grade 2.
This was turning out to be a simple trail but things got a bit complicated later on in the day. Trail runs through an old logging path in the forest. The mud had a high percentage of clay making it very slippery in the wet. With smooth All Terrain tires and an unexpected shower of rain, things got tricky. After a few hours inside the trail, we finally made it to the end. Sadly, the trail wouldn’t let us go without a final complication. The exit was blocked off to get onto the road, so we had to find a detour route. This detour ended up puncturing my aired down tire on a small bamboo shoot about 5 meters from the road. Luckily, I was due for a tire change soon.
River crossing:

Airing down:

Detour through the woods:

It happens:

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Lopinot – Grade 1.
The Lopinot section isn’t difficult at all. Any 4WD vehicle can make it to the top. Consists of a small off camber section, loose gravel and small rocks. The view is very good as well.

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 4:59 pm

continue...

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Las Cuevas – Grade 2 (if you choose to pass through the optional difficult obstacles, Grade 3).
This is a very fun trail if you wish to play around in the mud. The trail can be used by 4x4’s to access the beach. Even my GPS has it labelled “4x4 Access Road Only”. There are one or two obstacles that you can choose to attempt that can make very capable off-road vehicles use their winch.

Testing the depth. Yup! Blast thru! :

Sadly. This SUV is going to be sold soon. But boy did it work good:

You all will love the mods currently being done of this Suzuki Grand Vitara. Will leave that as a surprize when it is finally trail ready. As is however, was really hard to beat:

This Toyota Surf has now been replaced with a Toyota Surf crossed with a Toyota Hilux. Although it is now used as an everyday "to work and grocery" vehicle, it still now and then sees some mud to lubricate the joints :D :

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » September 12th, 2013, 5:16 pm

continued...

Not sure how to allow video playback on the thread itself, so here is a link of me tackling some of the mud pits through the trail. This is also my YouTube channel. You can take a look at the recent videos I made of the latest trails I went on. I'm giving a small description of the trails I've been on according to date, so I will get to the videos on my channel later on:

http://youtu.be/boLc8ih9mLM

TurtleSlow
Been here a while

Unread post by TurtleSlow » September 13th, 2013, 7:29 am

Thanks, great stuff. I love seeing what's going on overseas. It looks like fun stuff.

Cheers
Muz

Foo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Foo » September 22nd, 2013, 1:22 pm

X2

It would be a wild place in the wet season from the looks of it. :D

Foo

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » September 27th, 2013, 11:19 am

Oh it does. This was when I just started into the off-road fun. Doing a write up piece by piece everyday. Will post pics AND vids later of harder trails once I'm done. Just trying to sort out some unexpected issues is our club. Helping to re-building a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a solid axle swap, working on changing a cracked engine head on a 2010 Ford Ranger, minor repairs on a Toyota Surf crossed with a Toyota Hilux and trying to find and fix a problem with my van (once I pass 110km/h or 3000rpm with my van, the temperature rises past 92 degrees c). I think it's because I did a 2" body lift on my van and I never dropped the radiator back 2". If anyone ever had this problem with their Bravo, please either message me or post a response on my build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=146590

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » October 29th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Special Stage For An Off-Road Rally We Worked On:

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » October 29th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Special Stage For An Off-Road Rally We Worked On:

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » October 29th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Preysal Scouting (Grade 2):
We were supposed to use this short path in a rally, but ended up leaving it out. Was good fun playing around in it though… :D

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » October 29th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Unknown Trail (Grade 2) : Can’t remember the name of this trail. Sorry.

Last edited by DooMRR on October 29th, 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DooMRR
Here and there

Unread post by DooMRR » October 29th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Ravine Sable (Very Difficult Grade 2 (i.e. Grade 2+)):
Sadly, trail got cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. One of our group members broke his front differential and had to try and get out the trail in RWD only. Rushing to get through an obstacle, he under steered off the trail.

Note the damaged tree bark on the tree to the right of the picture. The back right of his SUV hit the tree which kept him from rolling over down the hill.

Using snatch blocks and a Warn M8000 to winch him back out. The driver and passenger came out without a scratch. No serious damage occurred to the vehicle (all that was broken was a small rear-side glass and a minor dent which occurred from him hitting the tree).

Return to “Trip Reports”