03 Explorer V8 4wd shift problem

By popular demand!
stoney1983
Been here a while

03 Explorer V8 4wd shift problem

Unread post by stoney1983 » August 2nd, 2010, 5:42 pm

I have an 03 explorer that the 4x4 high flashes after a little while of driving and the car stays in rear drive only til turned off again, lately i have been trying to select low range and it will say its gone in but the ratios are staying the same and the front diff is not engaging. If i turn the car off for a minute then turn it back on it changes in to 4 low first go and stays in it. Its been into Ford and doesn't bring up any fault codes, I've also just fitted a new transmission from bayfords in melbourne and ever since i put it in theres been the 4x4 high flashing, but sometimes not til after half hour of driving. I'v also noticed it tends to start flashing when you tap the brakes to take of cruise on the highway. I've had a wheel balance and alignment coz i thought it may have been wheel speed sensors but its not, I'v read that it could be the 4wd control module computer, but its not a guarantee and its about 400 bucks from the US, If anyone can let me know of anywhere in vic i might be able to get a hold of this computer cheaper from a wrecking yard or anyone who might know whats causing the problem, please any help would be appreciated, its the family car for around town, and although a rear drive only V8 is a lot of fun, if your not expecting it to cut out it can be quite dangerous on a corner.

Taxman
Been here a while

Unread post by Taxman » August 2nd, 2010, 7:11 pm

Try this Parts Locator - the no1 autoparts directory (just double click on the link) it is free to register, I have used it a few times to get parts , speedy responses, fair prices, value for money and speedy delivery I have not yet had cause to complain about price, quality or service. Maybe I have been lucky but I doubt it.
1996 Explorer Limited, extra leaf in rear suspension, 50mm Torsion Bar lift,driving & fog lights.

1991 Surf, Bullbar, Towbar, 50mm suspension lift

98fex
Been here a while

Unread post by 98fex » August 2nd, 2010, 10:34 pm

stoney1983 wrote:I have an 03 explorer that the 4x4 high flashes after a little while of driving and the car stays in rear drive only til turned off again, lately i have been trying to select low range and it will say its gone in but the ratios are staying the same and the front diff is not engaging. If i turn the car off for a minute then turn it back on it changes in to 4 low first go and stays in it. Its been into Ford and doesn't bring up any fault codes, I've also just fitted a new transmission from bayfords in melbourne and ever since i put it in theres been the 4x4 high flashing, but sometimes not til after half hour of driving. I'v also noticed it tends to start flashing when you tap the brakes to take of cruise on the highway. I've had a wheel balance and alignment coz i thought it may have been wheel speed sensors but its not, I'v read that it could be the 4wd control module computer, but its not a guarantee and its about 400 bucks from the US, If anyone can let me know of anywhere in vic i might be able to get a hold of this computer cheaper from a wrecking yard or anyone who might know whats causing the problem, please any help would be appreciated, its the family car for around town, and although a rear drive only V8 is a lot of fun, if your not expecting it to cut out it can be quite dangerous on a corner.
try here
Ford OBD-II Trouble Codes

Return to “Explorer”